Tortilla Chips | Pad Patter 2.24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 24, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It's National Tortilla Chip Day!

I think the only tortilla chips we have are Doritos. Those count right? But now, I really want a great plate of Nachos!

I usually buy the On the Border chips because I like the salt to chip ratio and crunch. But they go stale really fast. Maybe I need to eat them faster!
    [​IMG]
    So, what's your favorite Tortilla Chip brand? Or, do you have a tortilla you love to buy and make your own chips?

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh my --- don't get me started!!! Let's see: Scoops, Hint of Lime, occasionally Doritos, and for the day-to-day snacking the big bag of Kirkland tortilla chips. I dump the Kirkland ones into a plastic storage container and that helps keep them fresh. That said, we eat a lot of chips and queso (only the brand from Costco). I make taco meat for tacos and nachos about once a week. We always have salsa on hand.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love the big bag from Costco for nachos with Tillamook cheese and hot sauce.

BevG and keepscrappin like this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Late July Sea Salt are my fav! The are like Chipotle's... but all the salt isn't on ONE chip, lol!
    [​IMG]

Otherwise, I will eat most Tostito kinds that are out there, lol!

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh, that bag has good chips too. Forgot about those!

umyesh likes this.
  6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I like both Josephina’s and Juanita’s. Sometimes they are hard to find. They are both delicious.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We love tortilla chips and have nachos with taco meat and cheese weekly. DD takes some kind of chips in her lunch everyday. We used to get the On the border tortilla chips but now we get Juanita's tortilla chips. They are so light and crunchy and taste divine! I've found them at Smiths/Kroger, they go fast so I grab a couple of bags when I see them. It looks like Walmart and Target carry them too.
    [​IMG]

We love Nacho Cheese Doritos with taco soup and my hubby and girls like to snack on spicy sweet chili Doritos too.

[​IMG]

8. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

7EFB5DD3-3EE1-4B28-8C99-1E32A3AB03E4.jpeg Some of you may be wondering about these chips but they are made by the Leal family here in Muleshoe (pronounced Mule-shoe) Tx, population 5798. Our city has the very first Leal’s restaurant and it is the best Mexican food. Mrs. Leal sure knew how to cook and passed everything down to her kids. The chips are light, crispy, incredibly thin, but perfect for salsa or guacamole, oh, and Nachos! Yum!

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I regularly buy Tostito's brand bite size chips . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . but I love potato chips more than tortilla chips. I eat tortilla chips for scooping up hummus and other dips (I always have salsa on hand like @BevG ) but for treats I love Kettle Brand potato chips, most flavors. I only buy them once or twice a month though because I have no self control when it comes to potato chips. :wub
    [​IMG]

Another crunchy thing I've been enjoying with my hummus a lot in recent months are veggie straws. Another brand has been around for a long time, but my grocery store just started offering a big bag of them.
    [​IMG]

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'll have to try that! Costco is an hour away, so I don't go very often anymore.

Mmmm...Nachos! And mmm....Tillamook cheese!

I've never tried them. The bag looks good!

We like to use Nacho Cheese Doritos with taco salad. Crunch them on top, or use them as a base.

Do they sell outside of Texas?

I'm pretty close to this. I'm not a big only tortilla chip fan, I like them seasoned or with a good salsa. I love potato chips though! Not kettle style. I don't like the thickness.

michelepixels likes this.
  11. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I know they are marketing these outside of Texas but I really don’t know how big their market is. If you see them, pick up a bag.

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really love most all tortilla chips, but never with cheese sauce! Bad decisions were made in college involving nachos and vodka :giggle. I especially love them with the white dip at the Mexican restaurant or with buffalo chicken dip or with chili!

13. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Mission Chips, Restaurant Style!
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We like the Mission brand but also the Santita's brand is very tasty and is inexpensive. We love the Gordo's brand white cheese dip and the restaurant style Pace picante. My mom made lots of batches of salsa this past fall, so we have it on hand or the Pace.

15. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

Oh we go through a lot of tortilla chips and salsa here too (especially my oldest with his salsa love). We like On the Border a lot, but have been buying HEB fresh made ones lately and I really like them. HEB is a big grocery chain in TX and we moved to TX in August so it's our new normal. Will have to look for the other TX brand too to try - thinking maybe I can find them in the state.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I used to eat a tonne of salted corn chips but for the last year or so I’ve lost interest. My snack of choice now is crackers and hummus.

17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I like on the border & also scoops (I love all the salsa I can get with those!).

18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

My son likes On the Border with the salsa made by our local grocery store, so I always have the on hand the big bag of chips from Sam's Club.

I like the Kirkland chips:
    [​IMG]

The rest of the house eats whatever is on hand. LOL

I buy the $2 Santitas if I'm not at one of the warehouse clubs -- I love yellow corn chips -- or I'll get the bite size Tostitos, because I like their size. But we go through the bags fast, so I prefer to buy giant sized ones.

We had nachos for dinner just last night because I felt like chicken tacos, which my husband tolerates for my sake, but isn't a big fan of. I made both beef and chicken and everyone was happy (my oldest son had both meats on his). We will probably have nachos more often now; I don't really like beef nachos and always made tacos -- my husband would sometimes make nachos -- but I liked it with chicken and it wasn't much more work to make both.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  19. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I actually had nachos for my tea (evening meal) tonight, ordered from our local pizza takeaway Dominos.

We don’t eat many tortilla chips in our house, we are all trying to be healthily so rarely buy them. But when we do buy them I like the cheap and cheerful supermarket own brand.
    763437D6-100B-4EA5-A49B-BE7C4D35E94E.jpeg

My go to snack is a large bowl of plain popcorn. I recently purchased a popcorn maker, so me and my son been making plenty of popcorn

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

DH bought some Mission ones randomly the other day but i'm not sure what else we have available here because it's not an aisle i wander down at the shops - i recognise the Doritos packaging but i don't see any other brands i recognise (except the kettle potato chips) in this thread