New Recipes | Pad Patter 2.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 21, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm going for it today and trying the recipe that went viral on social media - tomato and feta pasta...really hoping it's going to be amazing lol
    IMG_1541_1612372873051_hpEmbed_4x5_608.jpg

I haven't tried many new recipes lately, and honestly I'm getting really bored with all our family favorites. DS is a picky eater, so a lot of things I'd really like to try I know he just won't eat (and I do have a frozen pizza on stand-by for him tonight, but I'm gonna make him try it first :giggle).

I know we talk a lot about favorites here, but do you try new recipes often? Any good ones you've come across lately?

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I need to follow this thread.
    I am so tired of my own cooking.
    It's boring, but sometimes I just want to feed the hungry mouths something that's easy and palatable and done in 30 minutes or less.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I AM SO TIRED OF COOKING, yes I just yelled that. It has been just about one year since we have gone out to eat, poor me. I shouldn’t complain with all the bad things happening this year, but still....
    My daughter makes Costco runs for us and picked up a box of two Detroit style deep dish pizzas that were quite good. I would recommend them to any Costco members here.
    I made a green Chili and chicken casserole earlier in the pandemic that was a hit. I’ve also bookmarked tons of recipes on Facebook but hardly ever make them. We did get an air fryer this year and it has been fun experimenting with it.

IntenseMagic and jk703 like this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i saw that recipe but my DH hates fetta, ironically my picky kid would probably eat it (cheese and tomato is an 'acceptable' combo for her) but then i'd have to make something else for him anyway so i feel your pain.

as for new stuff, that doesn't happen often because when i find a new recipe i always have to substitute out half of it because of DH's or DD's dislikes and then a new exciting recipe ends up seeming the same as something i'd generally cook anyway - so like the chow mein that's tomorrow's dinner, DD won't eat the cabbage, string beans or sauce, so she has plain chicken, broccoli & capsicum (both of which i add to cover her) & raw grated carrot with noodles as she has everytime we have any kind of stirfry - so it's not really a textbook chicken chow mein, it just ends up being a generic stirfry and this kind of thing happens to like every recipe - even changing the shape of a pasta causes an argument, it's flat-out ridiculous; if i were just cooking for DS and myself, our meals would have so much more variety and less drama!

wvsandy and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I tend to stick to same old stuff because of food intolerances....not that you’d know that if you saw my Pinterest boards!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@IntenseMagic How did it turn out?
    Nick wants me to make it but I want to wait until tomatoes are more in season.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I try new recipes about once a week. I will separate out mushrooms 80% of the time, the other 20% I make Munchkin pick them out himself.
    My newest recipe was a chicken, mushroom, green bean stir fry that used miso butter. It was good. Nick and I ate it as written, but I pulled some of the stirfry out before I added the mushrooms for munchkin. He ate it, with the miso butter and liked it.

We also had sausage and peppers with potatoes which was super easy and I don't know why I've never made it before. I used a sweet onion, so both munchkin and I ate it as written.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

yes...ditto! I'm so bored with food

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I did try my first hand with a chia seed "pudding". It turned out pretty tasty. It called for light coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla and maple syrup. I did thaw and mash up some frozen banana for the mix. It never really got to a true pudding consistency, but it tasted good over oatmeal, served up with some fresh mango and blended into a fruit smoothie.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i've tried all types of non dairy milk for chia pudding - the best i found was oat milk. not sure if that is one you can tolerate/use. leave them in the frig for 1 -2 days. stir or shake every 12 hours or so to get them thicker.

i'm so done with cooking. at this point - i'll eat just about anything as long as someone else cooks it!!

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh MY!!!! @bestcee We did the tomato and feta thing 2 weeks ago. My DD saw a Tik Tok were someone roasted an entire head of garlic with the tomatoes. So she did that and added some oregano too. We used the tri-colored spiral pasta. It was so good I think we are making again really soon!

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I go in spurts - same old, same old - and then I see a new recipe and off I go. I was trying to cook a new dish at least once a week.

So now that 2nd son is away at gradate school and DD spends her weekdays at college, there are only 2 of us most of the week. I do not yet know how to cook for 2 people. So many leftovers. I need to learn to cook smaller amounts.

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I love trying new recipes. I usually try at least try one new recipe a week. Last night I made a stir fried hoisin chicken over rice with some steamed bok choy. It was a huge hit around our house. The recipe is in an Asian cooking book I have.

My hubby got me a Cooking Light Slow Cooker Magazine for Christmas and I've tried several recipes out of it and we all haver really enjoyed them.

Tonight I just made a simple ground turkey, broccoli, alfredo pasta.

For the most part I enjoy cooking. It's the clean up that's not so fun.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't cook much, but I come up with food ideas and keep the cupboard stocked with the essentials. My hubby is the chief cook around here, but our daughter has been cooking with him lately. She made the entire meal tonight - chicken breasts stuffed with Feta Cheese and cranberries and rolled in Panko crumbs. It was SO good. She had a recipe, but I just sat and watched and talked to her, so I'm not sure what it was - she had it on her phone. She also fixed sliced potatoes, topped with butter, salt and pepper and baked. It was a delicious meal!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I love new recipie and pin them a lot or save on fb to try..we get bored easy a d I'm lucky to be marrying a human trash can who eats everything..lol
    And well kids who aren't too picky...my oldest two love trying new things
    And asias happy with meat

My newest favorite is kinda a creation I came up with

A can of diced tomatoes with itailan seasoning...a few big handfuls of frozen spinach and a block of cream cheese...
    Dont drain tomatoes.
    And throw everything in skillet
    Till well blended and warm
    Serve over baked chicken or pork...and noodles
    Soooo good

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't tried any new recipes, but I have made up a couple of things on the fly. One of them was what we now refer to as pandemic pasta. It's basically an alfredo sauce with pasta, chicken, onion and bell pepper . . . a lot of spices and garlic and quite delicious. I made another version of it, but this time I used hamburger meat, tomato sauce, and then added in the alfredo sauce ingredients. It disappeared!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm.... We had air fryer steak last night that cooked to perfection with Chimichurri sauce/roasted brussels sprouts and some waffle fries for the kids, lol! The air fry steak was new to us, and fab.

I have a new recipe I am trying this week, only cause I have ground sausage that I have in my freezer.... it's a stovetop Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Rice meal. Then I have a new Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe that I found.... Maybe I can send that to DH to do for tonight. (He's off work)

I add some, and we have favorites. We have staples that are always on hand for when we get lazy.

We have been out a bunch of times, and we do order maybe once a week, so I dislike cooking like normal. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Try cooking for one person who doesn't like to cook.

As for me, no I haven't tried any new recipes in the last 3 to 4 years because of the dental issues I've been going through. With the end in sight and being able to go off of the soft food diet by late summer/early fall, I hope to dig into using my air fryer just so I can have some fried foods again!

IntenseMagic and BevG like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

I am with you!! I have yelled that myself!! I wish we had a Costco around here, but no such luck :(
    That green chili and chicken casserole sounds really good! I definitely think I need an air fryer!!

My DD is the one who will eat anything. I miss having her around to try stuff with me! The boys are both picky and it drives me crazy!!

It was really good!! I ate the last of it for lunch today :) Chance didn't like it, but he is not a fan of feta.

Oooh the chicken, mushroom thing sound sooo good!! So does the sausage and peppers!

I saw a similar recipe for the "pudding" recently and it looked so good. I am so bad about writing things down that I want to try and then forgetting to take the list with me when I go shopping lol.

I'm with you. I am totally done with cooking and nothing homemade tastes as good to me anymore lol. At least if I'm the one making it!

I want to try some different pastas with it. All I had was spaghetti, so I used that...and I was out of fresh garlic so I used the jar of minced that I had. I think fresh garlic would have made it even better! But I really enjoyed it!

I love Asian food. I really need to try more of those recipes!
    Alfredo sauce is so good no matter what it's on lol. I found a really good alfredo recipe a few years ago and it has been a big family hit.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

Ohhh yum to the chicken breasts stuffed with feta! And I'm always down for potatoes!!

Oh wow! That sounds soooo good!! I'm going to have to give that a try, even if I'm the only one who will eat it lol.

Ok...the pandemic pasta sounds awesome!! I am a sucker for anything with alfredo sauce!!

I definitely need an air fryer!!
    The sausage thing sound really good!! And the crock pot chicken! I'm always down for crock pot meals!!

I'm so glad the end is in sight for you!! I know it's not been easy!! Hoping you get to chow down really soon!!

gonewiththewind likes this.