Credit Tracking

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Feb 19, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Anyone have some easy ways to keep track of credits. I keep forgetting to credit as I go before I close PSE down and I can't easily trace my credits as such. I've tried keeping everything open (or at least one item of each kit) until I'm finished so I track at the end but now twice this week I've forgotten what I've used. I know all of the kits except the one's I've used from Jaimee and there was a lot of mixing and matching so it could be about half my credits I'm missing

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I always have a Word Document open and as I use something I put it in there under a title for the page I'm working on. It's worked for me. And it's nice to have when I can just copy and paste when I upload.

3. littlekiwi

@Karen I have done similar in the past but I think its the fact I have to shut down PSE to load my desired font temporarily thats causing me to get out of the rhythm. At least the kits I can't remember are all from one designer

4. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I still use the SupplyTracker script from SpeedScraps -- it seems they are still available. Several years ago I contacted the designer and asked her if she might be able to move them to dropbox for a bit less risky download option, it looks like they might still be there. It runs in PSE, instructions are pretty clear, but the script is based on having the layer named as the filename, which occurs automatically depending on how you pull over your supplies.

I run this action (which calls the script) and then edit the info

edited to add: this script saves the info in the file info/description of the psd file.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    cfile likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I use a spreadsheet to track my layouts. I have columns for the 1) date of completion, 2) the layout title, 4) paper, 5) alphas/word art, 6) embellishments, 7) brushes, 8) fonts, 9) template, 10) file name. Column 3 is sized to fit a 600x600 preview of the layout. Since I don't use many brushes, I have started to use that column for notes about the layout if needed (such as shadowing or title font if the layout is for a project such as monthly or year in review so that is consistent).

I even used this when I scrapped with my laptop. In that case I would write down everything then add it to the spreadsheet all at one time. With my desktop/dual screens I can keep it open at all times. I started using the spreadsheet in 2008. It did get slow to open 3 years ago because of all the graphics so I started using spreadsheet #2. It now is in its 4th year of use.

But then I am a spreadsheet nerd...

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I use that too Lisa. but never used it with PSE.

elseepe likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I keep all my folders open while I scrap or find the item in store and keep that tab open as I go, then its very easy to link and credit.

cfile likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

IDK about PSE, but in Photoshop CC if you drag and drop right onto your canvas, PS automatically names the layer by its file name. That way you should be more easily able to record what you used just by taking a glance at your layers palette.

For CT projects, I usually make the TIFF file name the kit name so I know exactly what to credit. I do that with regular pages, too, tho I tend to finish those in one sitting so it's not like I need to worry about forgetting what kid I used (and then not being able to find it to continue using it). Then, my websized JPG version is saved with the product name in its title so I know what Note File to use to copy/paste my credits. (see below)

Personally, I open a Note file and I write down what kit(s) I used right before putting an item on my page. Thankfully I don't mix/match too much so it isn't tough to do. The one issue is if I'm grabbing a single item from a kit; that's when I write down in the credits file exactly what item I used and I rename that layer in PS to the kit name. If I delete the layer, then I know to delete the kit from my credits file. I name the Note file the kit name and template name, too if I used one.

9. HavaDrPepper

I used to name files by kit name when I CT'd as well. But now that I've started putting together books for cousins that are chronological and using those layouts, I need to know the year. So I've actually gone through and renamed them after all the photo sorting I did 9 months ago! The layouts now sort chronologically in windows and Picasa.

10. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I open a notepad and as I scrap, I put my credits in there. It has worked nice over the years for me

11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oof, I bet that was a LOT of work! But it's so cool your creating books for your cousins! That's such an awesome, and I mean inspiring awe, gift for them.

Do you save all your TIFFs/PSDs? I save most until after I've printed. (I save ones that have a LOT of journaling. I'm bad at catching my own mistakes!) Anyway, if I save them, I rename the ones I keep so they have the same name as my JPG file. Only the Web-sized version I post in galleries has the same product-based naming system as the "kit in progress" TIFFs. It didn't even occur to me to rename the files until I found a mistake to fix before printing. It didn't take long to search (LOs are arranged by Year folders; TIFFs have their own subfolder in each year)...but it was still much more annoying than just looking for the exact same file name because of course I didn't notice the problem until I was frantically uploading before a SF deadline. But my copy-- the jpg, full-size copy--is always named yyyy-mm-MonDD-People_Event. So Christmas morning might be "2020-12-Dec25-Cal_Gen_Christmas_stockings." IMO that's a long file name. I try to keep it short, esp. since I also tag each LO so I can search quickly for people/events/places/years/etc/I'm insane about tagging. :giggle

12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

What I'm currently doing is just jotting down on a scrap of paper what kit I've used/designer name/pieces if I'm using more than 1 designer. Then I list them all when I upload to the gallery.

What I intend to do from now on is go back to my prior system. In Artisan I can have text boxes along the side of the layout. That's where the template name & designer will be for the page files. I make that text box larger and add the rest of the products used into that text box.

13. HavaDrPepper

Yes, I save my layered files (pspimage for me). I also save the 3600x3600 jpg and a 600x600 size jpg. All 3 files have the same file name. I have a Layouts folder that has 3 sub-folders... pspimage, 600x600 and layouts (full size for printing). Each sub-folder has the same folders for files as to how I put them in books by themes. I did find in my organization of files this last year that I am missing some of the pspimage files. They were probably on a EHD that failed unexpectedly... like it just wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in after not looking at it for a couple of years. And, believe it or not I have used a pspimage file that I had done many years ago. I no longer have the kit used for the original layout (must have been freebies) and I found some photos that I wanted to do an additional layout to match it. So I pulled up the pspimage file and swapped out the photos. Now the 2 layouts of the 2 sons of 2 sisters (my cousins) in their Naval uniforms match in my Marker book.

A lot of layouts I don't have exact dates so they are just named year-event aka "1983 Ashley Allison". For those that I do know the date I will use "2019 0507 Birthday" (Peyton's birthday layout). I try to keep file names short but yet descriptive. I've never gotten into tagging!

My C drive has the stuff that I use all the time. Really old layouts that have been printed and are not a part of the project for my cousins are in my EHD backups and the mirror EHD that is connected at all times so easy to get to if needed. Older kits are also on the EHD in case I want to use them. In the mass organization I found stuff in multiple places, layouts in a couple of different folders... especially CT layouts since they were in the CT folders and the folder for the album they are in. Now they are in one folder instead of multiple (since I no longer CT) and the only duplicates are those in the backups :)

Tree City likes this.
  14. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

Paper and pen so then if I change my mind it is just a strike through. I then go back and cut and paste the corresponding kit address if I have time. I have not done this lately as the computer that I am using is quite slow. So for me I have just been type in the name of the kit with the creator. I have a tendency to limit the number of kits that I use as most elements, papers etc., of the same kit go naturally with one another. I have my stash in a separate hard drive which I back up not often enough but keep the PSE with all the layers.

15. littlekiwi

Thanks all, I forgot Windows 10 had a post it note kind of feature so I am using that....so far so good plus @A-M suggested a font manager that means I don’t need to close down PSE before I do my journaling so win, win.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I use Microsoft OneNote and I have created a notebook for scrapbooking, I save all my LOs on my hard drive in numerical order (LO1, LO2 etc). I then created a list on my notebook of the LOs and have a column with a preview, LO No, credit details and if I've uploaded it or not. I have slight OCD and like everything to be organised.

I also have a load of notes stuck to the wall above my desk of project books I am currently working on lol. My husband thinks I'm crazy.

cfile likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

If any of you have attended my Watch Cheryl Scrap LIVE sessions, you've seen me use the FILE INFO box to insert the product name and HTML link for my credits. It's retained with my PSD, so even if years have gone by, I can easily see what products were used. This has happened occasionally when I need to make a coordinating page and makes finding the supplies I used super easy. Having the credits in the FILE INFO makes it super easy when posting to multiple sites, as it's an easy copy/paste.

Good luck, whatever method you decide on!

bestcee likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

That’s another good idea

19. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I use PSE11 and, as @Tree City mentioned, if you drag up and place papers/elements onto the page from the photo bin, then the name of that file becomes the layer name. When I've completed my layout, I open the file info box as per @gonewiththewind and type in the credits from the layer names (I don't credit every layer, just the different kits used overall). Depending on how many layers, I might have to close the file info box to scroll through the layers for all the different product names, but I try to memorise a couple of different ones at a time. I've done this forever and find it works really well. If I'm being extra conscientious I will also save the font names this way.

Tree City and gonewiththewind like this.
  20. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I also use the SupplyTracker in PSCC ... very handy and easy to use

elseepe likes this.