Fonts....

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Feb 17, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Sorry I’m so chatty and full of questions at the moment by the way.

Anyway I mistakenly shut down PSE before doing my credits as I needed to temporarily install a font earlier and it had me thinking. I have a tonne of fonts (think around 800) and am thinking that I should probably choose 10 or 20 fonts to permanently install. How would you narrow it down? The only one I’m certain on is Travelling Typewriter.

In the same thought, I probably don’t need 800 fonts even if they aren’t installed so how would you get it down to a more manageable amount? Choosing a font is either the 2nd to last or last thing I do and going through 800 fonts is hard work and to be fair my font manager struggles as well. I’d be happy if I got it down to 200-400 even. Probably in no particular order I love my CK, DJB & Pea fonts but I have a tonne of others too that I probably downloaded cause it could be an awesome title font or I saw it somewhere and thought I’d use it. ....says the person that cops out and uses word art 90% of the time.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Sorry I am of no help in the font department... LOL I have tons .. I go through spurts.. use this one for a while then that one for a while.. LOL I can't even tell you. LOL Good luck is all I can say!

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have loads too.
    I removed all but 5 of my DJB, smarty pants and tape labels being my most used.
    My go to for journaling is Another typewriter - but traveling works as well.
    Scripty is Nightingale and New Era (personal use) , which is wonderful for that big title.
    I will often add from da font and then remove it again.
    Good luck with narrowing it down. It's a chore.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yeah, I'm no help either. I do what you're not supposed to do... I just install them all so I can scroll through them and see what I feel like using at any given time. I haven't noticed a slow down from it yet, so I guess I'm good?

cfile likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Don't know what to tell you since I only have 279 fonts in my windows font folder. I know years ago I had a lot more but as computers were replaced I just didn't install them all again. Since I do track what kits/fonts I use for my layouts I do make sure any fonts I have used in the last several years are installed so that if I do want to open my pspimage file, it won't replace the font. And, yes I have had to do this.

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ditto!

Karen likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I would first scroll though them, and then delete ones you don't want as you scroll. Then see where you stand. Then try again doing the same process. if not deleting, then just remove from the manager.

I wasted so much time on fonts. SO MUCH TIME. So, I stopped using them as much. I use my journaling one (Special Elite), my handwriting that is now a font, and then occasionally I'll scroll to find a title font or fancy font. And, even with those, I have probably 3 I keep going back to. I pry use 6-8 regularly...

Karen likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

@jk703 - thats a great idea and probably the most effective. The font manager I use just uses a folder so they aren't actually in the manager as such but I probably do gravitate towards certain fonts or at least creators of fonts naturally and there are probably some that are quite similar too

9. littlekiwi

817 down to 774, still way too many. I'd hazard a guess that the big collection is my Pea fonts collection.

Yep, I was right....my Pea font collection has over 500 fonts alone and I honestly didnt know they made that many.

I typically have either handwriting (the majority) or typewriter fonts with a few extras.

I did consider just installing everything so that its one less step when scrapping, having to exit PSE, choose the font, install it temporarily then open up PSE again but I worry that could cripple my laptop very easily

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have my favorites and I barely scroll through the others. PSCC 2019 keeps them at the top of the list as most used.
    I like Special Elite or Hollywood Starfire for typewriter fonts, Century Gothic for san sarif and Palatino for sarif fonts. I also had a font made with my printing KG Susan P, so I use that sometimes too.

11. littlekiwi

@Pachimac wish PSE 15 kept my faves at the top, I might need to investigate more on that

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I tried using a font manager to view the fonts I don't have installed. But it takes forever to load. So mostly I just use my favorites over and over. Now if I could only Uninstall the many, many fonts that Microsoft Windows installed that I don't want, ie. the foreign language ones. Then my scrolling list would so much shorter.

Karen likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Ditto!!!

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I also have tons of fonts, but I only seem to use a small handfull most of the time. I've found one handwritten font that I use for journaling on a regular basis and some scripts, typewriter and what I call "font duo's", two fonts that work well together, such as script and handwritten and the like (I've found them via Pintrest). I do have some in specific folders, such as Disney fonts that I may use for my Disney pages, but I'm also thinking that I should pare down my fonts!

15. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I have a major font problem! I can't delete them.. *L* and I am always always always adding more. It is an addiction!
    but I find myself using
    Veteran Typewriter A LOT
    The Beckys (heather Joyce)
    The Becca
    Pea Kari (how could I not)

but I try to spice up life and use different fonts

16. littlekiwi

HeatherB and dotcomkari like this.
  17. Pachimac

Did you get a custom font too? I have one made by Kimberly Gershwein - KG SusanP!

18. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Pea Kari :) is mine

19. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I use Font Base so that I do not need to install so many as I use a lot of different fonts with my designing to create word art. So I have a huge collection of Commercial Use fonts.
    I am sure Font Base works with PSE. You open up Font Base and then open up PSE. Go back to font base when you are ready to decide what font to use... find it and make it active. Leave Fontbase open - go back to PSE and the font you made active will be there to use until you close PSE.

littlekiwi likes this.
  20. Pachimac

so cool!!