Stretching a themed kit

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Feb 16, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Or in this case themed BYOC packs....now don’t get me wrong, I love PRD’s New Job papers & elements (I’ve also got the templates and alphas too) but I’m finding that there’s only so much I can use this kit before I’m burnt out by it. I’ve already done one
    layout with it and was thinking of a 2nd one for one of the monthly challenges but I feel restricted by the kit now. I am almost certain it is the only job search related kit or anything in the shop which makes it harder. It would be a different matter if I wasn’t potentially going to be needing to use it another 978 times (I hope I’m joking about that number by the way). Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to stretch PRD’s packs a bit further or what else I could potentially use? I do have Jaimee’s Storyteller for June 2020 which matches colour wise but it’s the theming that is the harder thing to come across.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I don't have this one, but I only see a few elements that seem really focused on job search/new job -- the job search card, the new job/old job word strips. I heart my job brad and the pencil. the girl, I would use the spot healing tool (I think it's available in PSE to remove new job from the sign, or paint over and add your own text. I only see one paper that might be a bit limiting, but can't see the whole papers. Everything else looks like it could slot into some everyday kind of lists or accomplishments. Workspace could be your scrapping space, or kitchen prep area. Lightbulb could be used to highlight an idea. As I'm looking I am really loving that light bulb and the telephone, the flowers, buttons and hearts. Yes and hooray could be used on a story about scoring new PC memory, or EHD or organization success

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Kim's Girl Friday kit reminds me of job hunting/working, if you're wanting more job related kits.

[​IMG]

4. littlekiwi

@elseepe I’m wanting themed stuff rather than generic kits. I’m just over using the same few items over and over again.

5. littlekiwi

I have that but haven’t used it yet since I’m not actually working yet.

6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, if you are wanting themed stuff and using it only for that theme, you will have to use it over and over because of it being a rather specific theme. I get it, I have that with dog kits. But the layouts look different because of not using the same things on every layout. There is enough variety in that kit that you don't have to use the same stuff on every layout. JMO

cfile, keepscrappin and littlekiwi like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Subjects -
    A Day in the life.... (M/Tu/Wed sticker, girl (cover new job).
    Routine/Schedule - For the record, pen, clock, telephone, Clip, Light Bulb, Yes, Hooray,
    Out with the Old, In with the New - Modify New Job/Old Job, High Five, Yes, Hooray

Seems it can be used for Spring Pages, flowers, sunny days, boquets, botanical garden adventure, stuck at home, meetings, etc.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. jk703

That will happen with theme kits... it's the photos and journaling that will change it up when added.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

I still think you could use Girl Friday for job hunting. Plus you already own it. Use the phone, the pen, pencil, notebook paper, office supplies and clock to document making calls for jobs, filing out applications, waiting to hear back etc. Think of kits you have that have a computer that you could use for zoom interviews, etc.

This one from Forever Joy would be good too. Use the hold on please for waiting to hear back with the phone, name badge etc.
    [​IMG]

I think you already have this one from Allison and it could be used for zoom interviews and filing out online applications.

[​IMG]

This one could be used for your daily routine of checking for new jobs.

[​IMG]

I used a pet kit for this layout of my DD leaving on her mission. I liked the farewell and miss you word art. Try to think outside the box and don't be afraid to tweak word art and such to make it fit what you need for your layout.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps! :agree

10. littlekiwi

Oh those are great ideas, I have all except for ForeverJoy’s one and believe it or not I was considering buying it during her LOD sale a couple of days ago too...darn it!

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@littlekiwi

with that kit I see potential to make pages about:

1. birthday (hooray, yes, for the record)
    2. scrapbook space or crafting area or home office (workspace WA)
    3. getting in touch with friends (phone)
    4. a trip, a hike, a new restaurant, a new hobby (new adventure)
    5. comparison pages (old, new: modify the WA) cars, bikes, rooms, wardrobe, computers, etc.

12. littlekiwi

@Dalis oh I can stretch it for other things no problem. My issue is for job hunting pages that’s pretty much the only “kit” that directly works for the theme.

Dalis likes this.
  13. Dalis

got it!!!!! You are looking for other kits that could be used for job hunting. OMG, I completely misunderstood you. I shouldn't be replying to anyone w/ the headache that I have. LOL!!!

14. Dalis

I would say anything with clocks!

15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@littlekiwi Jennifer, don't forget re-coloring to stretch the kit you are using a lot. Also creating your own word art with alphas and fonts might be useful for some of your job interview pages.

Dalis likes this.
  16. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I find trying to scrap in different styles with the same kit also gives me a totally different look, and helps me see the product in new eyes. Some elements just won't work on a minimalist page, so I won't use them, whereas if I'm doing something more full, I'll pull out all the stops. Maybe try mixing in some more neutral items from things you already own - recoloring as needed - to get those different looks with the same materials.. paint splotches, stitching, templates, use another alpha and really focus on the title for a page, letting the alpha shine, so you don't have to rely so heavily on the kit, etc.. Good luck!! :D :heartlub

A-M likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I agree with this. Take those pieces that make it seem themed to you and use the alphas and labels in some of Just Jaimee's collections to recreate them. Really, any kit would do, but I know you have a lot of JJ's collections. That might breathe some fresh life into your job search/hunt/documentation layouts.

18. jk703

Lol! You're not alone... I misunderstood as well and gave stretch your stash ideas! :giggle

Jennifer, I like the font and adding alphas to the layouts. Even using basic elements that you do have, and I know you have a stash of styles, so you can change those basic elements to other fun styles!

Dalis and cfile like this.
  19. keepscrappin

@littlekiwi - I saw you scrapped a page with Micheline's Case of the Blahs kit and thought that would be a great kit to document the tiring job hunting process you've been going through.

20. littlekiwi

I actually just scrapped a job hunting layout with an M3 kit earlier for the journaling challenge but yes this kit could get a heck of a lot of use for lots of things.....job hunt included!

keepscrappin likes this.