LOD 2021 | February 16th - Allison Pennington

Discussion in '2021 LOD' started by keepscrappin, Feb 16, 2021.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Love Our Designers | February 16th

This event isn't a traditional CHALLENGE in that there aren't any real rules. It's just...Scrap with the featured designer! It’s a fun event to just scrap with products from a fave designer or try a new (to you) designer. It’s all about having fun and celebrating the uniqueness of all of our Lilypad Designers! :agree

FebMarchCalendar2021-2-16.jpg

Today we are going to play with Allison Pennington's designs. If you’re not familiar with Allison Pennington, go have a look at her fabulous store here. Allison is one of the designers of the Memory Pockets Monthly. These kits are collections of coordinating digital products made from several designers and are seasonal and theme based kits. Check out some of the MPM main kits and addon offerings here.

I'm a huge fan of Allison and thrilled to share her style with you today. Allison has been a staple at The Lilypad forever.

I would describe Allison's style as trendy, bold, and vibrant with a little bit of edge and humor! She has a unique look with products covering a wide range of themes, but mostly I love her awesome patterns, word art, alphas and journal cards. Plus many of her designs are versatile enough to be used for every day layouts too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I interviewed Allison so we could get to know her better.

Where do you call home?

I live in (currently very snowy and icy) Portland! I’ve lived here my whole life. ❤️

Who makes up your family? (partner? kids? pets?)

My husband and I have been together for 15 years - he’s the best! Together we raised our combined 4 kids. They’re all grown now (23, 22, 20, and 19) and on their own so we’re having a good time. We’ve had kids our entire relationship so it’s new and exciting.

The kids are great. One is a security head at Nordstrom, one is a very gifted artist, one has got the entrepreneurial spirit, and one is a Lance Corporal in the USMC. We’re very proud of them all.

We’ve got 3 elderly chihuahuas (Gomez, Franny, and Lulu), 2 sugar gliders (Shirley and Dobby), and 2 rescue cats. Barb showed up on our porch a few years ago and we found Squid in our engine compartment last fall. She was just a couple weeks old and has been causing chaos since.

Which came first, scrapbooking or designing?

Designing, actually. I started a custom printable business a million years ago and did well. I also worked in production design (I had an office... I miss it!) for a garment decorator for quite awhile and started dabbling in scrapbooking during that time for funsies.

I answered a design call at my first store in (I think) 2009 and the rest is history.

How long have you been at The Lilypad?

My goodness, it’s been a long time. Laura invited me for a guest spot in May 2011 and I got to do my first BYOC. Good Morning, Sunshine is still one of my favorites. I started for good the next Fall. I LOVE TLP ❤️

Do you think you have a signature style?

Loud? I LOVE color and I love pattern mixing. I always design the paper first. I love pink (you may have noticed) and I really find my groove in the Fall and Winter months.

What is your favorite product/kit/item you've designed?

There are so many! If I had to pick 5 favorite collections/products they’d be:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and all the Halloween kits.

What occupies your other time?

There’s not a lot of other time, tbh. I work all day most of the time. But we hike or walk every day. I enjoy a good show binge. I ❤️ The Sims.

Someday when I have space again, I look forward to setting my glass studio back up. I love designing glass mosaics/fused glass - I was pretty successful doing commissions for a lot of years but everything’s been boxed up since our last move.

What 4 items would always be in your refrigerator?

Oatmilk, vegan cheese , avocados, and leftovers (I live with someone who loves to cook and it’s awesome)

What was your worst purchase ever?

(My husband just said “there’ve been so many tho... ) Right before I got divorced, my ex-husband and I bought a minivan. Our first. That thing was a nightmare from start to finish. I’m fairly sure it had been completely submerged in water at some point before we bought it. He left the minivan with me after the divorce and it was the bane of my existence forever.

What’s your favorite movie?

Saved! (I can watch this movie a thousand times and never get bored) Runners up would be Cutting Edge and Johnny Suede.

What's your favorite TV show?

New Girl!!

It's always fun to learn more about our designer crushes, so thank you, Allison, for sharing with us! :wub

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had fun playing with Easy Eclectic v4, Farewell Friend: The Kit, Memory Pockets Monthly: Ephemera
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And here's my page:

[​IMG]
    * click image for full credits

And here's a few more layouts I've scrapped with Allison's goodies.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now it's your turn to make a page with (mostly) Allison's designs. So take a stroll through Allison's store and see what digital goodies you can find. Or dig into your existing stash! Either way, I can't wait to see what you make using Allison's products!!!

Please make sure you meet the gallery guidelines of 50% TLP product and post your layout in Allison Pennington's gallery and share your layout in this thread.

Be sure to check out our LOVE Our Designers event daily since you never know WHO is going to be featured when! And who knows, the designer(s) may pop in here and there with special surprises and interactions while we are scrapping!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    umyesh, G.J., norton94 and 6 others like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This is going to be a slippery slope to spending time in Allison’s store.

3. keepscrappin

I agree! You'll definitely be tempted by all the digi goodness in Allison's store. Have fun shopping! :shopping

I'm heading off to bed now, but I'll check in again in the morning.... night all!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  4. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

CANNOT wait to get all spendy spendy in Allison's store, great interview.
    A story for @AllisonPennington - recently Hubby upgraded our home server and it came with a file name length restriction. We had to go through ALL of my digital kits and templates.. Hubby was all 'Why is her name so long?' about Allison, as everything I own of hers had to be renamed (stupid windows update) and she is now fondly 'allip' on our server. Did I mention that I have all the super special mini bundles and the FTLO17 all the kits bundle... he must love me a lot, as he manually renamed them all to my specifications. :hehe

keepscrappin, Lisa B, cfile and 2 others like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Great interview and presentation, Kayla!!

6. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Allison has some great patterned papers in her kits.

[​IMG]

7. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

LMAO (he’s not the first person to ask why my name is so long in this exact context :giggle)

8. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

9. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I love the foundation collection and used it several times for the MOC challenges

[​IMG]

10. Bagheertje

Bagheertje Well-Known Member

@keepscrappin @AllisonPennington
    Is not everything on sale?
    I wanted to add Cliffnotes: Word to your mother Edition to my shoppingcart, but it is not on sale.
    Other cliffnotes are on sale (I added 2 others to my cart). Can you check this please?
    Thank you!

AllisonPennington likes this.
  11. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

i love a lot of Allison's KITS, i like that they provide so different elements...
    [​IMG]

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I used this opportunity to snag a couple of items from my wish list.
    Love the cute photo and the details.
    I feel like I need to pay super close attention for the next time we have DSD designer questions that we should know the answers to.
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Well I was restrained I think.....only bought what I “needed”.....ummm wanted (said nearly $30 later).

14. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Patricia, it should be on sale now!

15. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

I was organising my retired stash recently and came across some kits from Allison's early designing days (2010). I think today is the perfect opportunity to get some new products for my stash!

AllisonPennington likes this.
  16. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

17. keepscrappin

hmmm.... it looks like it's on sale for $2.98 at 26% off instead of 30% off. I don't have access to the store side so we'll need to have @AllisonPennington or @mrs2a50 look at it.

Bagheertje likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

Now that's what I call love.... your hubby's a keeper! :heartslub

19. keepscrappin

Great point... you never know when that extra info might come in handy. :agree

20. keepscrappin

:giggle enjoy your new goodies!