March 2021 Book Club - The Printed Letter Bookshop

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

The latest votes are in and we have some new books to read together. Yahoo!

The book for February is The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

umyesh and G.J. like this.
  2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I was really excited that the library had this book already. But when I went to download it to my Kindle, it wouldn't.

Apparently it's an eBUP format, which I found out works on computers, tablets, and phones, but not Kindles. I'm disappointed. I surely don't want to read a whole book on my iPhone and I don't want to read in bed with my laptop!

I guess when you see ebook listed it doesn't always for Kindle version. I never heard of that format before today.

3. Karen

You can actually convert an ePub book to Mobi format that works on a kindle. There’s a free program that I’ve used in the past for that called Calibre. Then once you convert it, you can email it to your kindle. Each kindle has it’s own unique email address that is listed on Amazon somewhere in the kindle section of your account. I just googled it because I couldn’t remember where I found it. It’s an option anyway. Lol. It is a few hoops to jump through though.

bellbird likes this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I didn't know that. I already returned the book. Hopefully my other library will come through for me soon.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I read this one in October and said << 3 stars A bit predictable but a nice story especially for lovers of bookstores/shops. Get a cuppa tea or coffee and settle in with this one. (It was definitely a feel good book that I needed by that time in 2020. )>>

6. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

This one is free for Amazon Prime members ;)

djp332 and bellbird like this.
  7. Karen

dang it! I paid $9.99 for it just a couple weeks ago. Grrr!

8. FarrahJobling

I finished this one today. Excellent read!

9. FarrahJobling

Now I want to check off all of the referenced books

julianz and Donitab like this.
  10. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

That's the trouble with reading books about books! My TBR list can't handle it!

julianz, Donitab and FarrahJobling like this.
  11. FarrahJobling

12. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Oh - this book was wonderful - at first I thought it seemed kinda sappy and maybe it is, but sometimes a good sappy book is needed to lift the spirits. I like how the author revealed the characters as you would peel an onion, one layer at a time. When the book was over I felt like I had lost some good friends - I’ll definitely reread this someday!

umyesh, janedee and Karen like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i used to use the same process for DS and DD's books, using calibre to convert & sending them to Kindle, then i got lazy b/cos DS was reading so much during the online school time last year that it was easier to just have him use my Kobo that uses epub by default... and i don't think i've read an ebook since because it now lives on his bedside table not mine [sigh].

i'm next on the list for this (paper) book. Hopefully it doesn't take me 2 months to read like the last one

14. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I read this a couple of months ago and forgot to post here. Loved the book list!
    A delightful, feel good read, even if a little predictable.

15. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Just finished this one. It's been my commute reading (i.e read it on my phone which saves me hauling a book around with me). I gave it four stars in the end. I enjoyed it, it was 'nice', parts were predictable but not all. I agree about the book list, my to read list is already huge but is about to get longer.

16. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I finished this one yesterday. It was a bit cute and sappy, but I enjoyed it.
    I really like how the books on the book lists were changing the characters. I felt like the ending got a bit preachy about forgiveness. I felt like we could have gotten the forgiveness message without it being so overt. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for forgiveness! It just seemed way out of place.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My library doesn't have this one but then I read Farrah's post about it being on amazon prime and now I can get started on it. I forget sometimes to check amazon for books. Our Canadian amazon doesn't have the library that the US one has but sometimes it has what I want. I'll get started on it today.

Karen likes this.
  18. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I finished this one today! I listened to it and loved it. I never knew I'd love books about book shops! I like that it was a clean read too.

19. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Books about books and the role that reading plays in our lives, books set in libraries, bookstores/bookshops are all like catnip to me. I had this book on my Kindle and one night last week decided to get started on it. I was hesitant after the first few chapters because it seemed so sad - the funeral, not getting the partnership, the difficulties of Janet & Claire, but I kept on reading. In fact, I was so drawn into the book that I read until 1:00 a.m. when I was finally finished with it.

I liked the way each woman faced up to her own challenges and did what they needed to do for themselves, for their families, and for each other.

If you're interested, there is a follow-up story to this. The book's title is "Of Literature and Lattes".

plumdumpling likes this.