Soooo

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 3, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

And now you got me thinking - what about when your car has to have a breathalyzer, and you share a car? Hmmm.....

bellbird and KimJ like this.
  2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

When I was teaching my GK to drive I bought magnetic "STUDENT DRIVER" bumper stickers, so other drivers would hopefully be patient and give us a wide berth, LOL!!! I live in VA and our county requires 45 hours of teen/parent driving, plus classroom driver's ed and behind-the-wheel driver's ed to get a license between the ages of 16, three months and not yet 18.

I passed the bumper stickers to a friend, so I guess I need to buy new ones for Chase ... he'll be able to get his learner's permit in March.

bellbird and KimJ like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

When I googled it to verify what it was for, I saw only 2 states have them. Ohio and Minnesota. I think even though it was a law since the late 60's it wasn't used much until more recently. I would suspect that it is used more for a 2nd or 3rd repeat offenders. Like you said, a scarlet letter for their car. And, it is the judge's discretion as to whether they have the plates or not.

bestcee, bellbird and KimJ like this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Guess no one's drinking and driving, LOL!!!

My granddaughter got a DWI a few months ago ... OH EM GEE ... it's so expensive ... the lawyer ($5,500), the optional SCRAM ankle monitor ($290 per month) to prove she's not drinking, plus once she finally goes to court she'll have her license suspended for 12 months ... *if* the judge allows her to drive to work she'll need the interlock ignition breathalyzer and that's $ to install and then $80 or so per month, plus she's facing up to a $2,500 fine and up to a year in jail. She's likely to spend at least 5 days in jail b/c she refused to take a breathalyzer at the scene ... and then she was argumentative with the police officers.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  5. bestcee

@Memaw2Wm That's a hard lesson to learn. I'm sorry your family is going through that. I have some brothers that have learned hard lessons like that - marijuana, not alcohol. But the prices are very similar. And the monitors feel like never-ending expenses.

Memaw2Wm and bellbird like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm kind of surprised it's only 45 hrs - it's been increased from 100hrs to 120 hrs here now (with 25 hrs required to be logged during 'night driving' hours) - a special driving school 1hr lesson counts as 3 hrs though, you can do up to 10 to count as up to 30hrs of the 120hrs but there's restrictions with what it counts for as 'night's hours - maybe because there's no specific drivers ed classes at school?? Maybe because the drinking age is also 18 & coincides with a lot of learner's getting their P plates??

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Holy cow!!! We had to do 50 hours with my son (in Michigan) and 10 hours had to be night hours. It took us FOREVER to get those hours in. We live a block from the high school, so he walks to and from everything. He never even gets in a car except to go to church on Sunday (when it was open) and that's only a 6 minute drive. We finally had to plan drives at least once a week, just to get his hours in and it was a huge pain and waste of gas. If we had to do 100-120 hours it would take at least two years! :dizzy

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i really wouldn't be surprised if it were past 150 hrs by the time DS (just turned 12y.o) learns to drive - and more and more new 'driving schools' have popped up in the last few years - it must be a decent income but it'd be worse than getting on a rollercoaster anxiety-wise to me!

9. bestcee

Do they have the special cars with the extra break on the passenger side? Our drivers ed cars had that, and it was nice. I think it made it a little easier on the poor teachers.

10. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Chilling and work. First week of every month is pretty manic for me having to create all the various data and presentations on the monthly H&S performance for the contract.

I had expanded my range of recipes early on in lockdown (thanks, Pinterest), but seem to have got into another routine so I need to have another look at some more new recipes. It's so difficult to find things everyone here would like though.

bestcee likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

ACK!!! Like Karen said, we had a fairly hard time logging 45 hours (15 @ night). My GK are/were walkers, but since I drive right by the school on my way to work I usually dropped them off. When the older two were learning to drive, I'd make them drive to school and logged each week as 15-20 minutes ... they spent most of that time sitting in grid-lock, LOL!!! Then 2-3 times a week we go driving ... through the neighborhood, west on Route 7 (4+ lanes) 30 minutes, turn around and drive back, around the Beltway ... which was scary b/c it was being widened and lanes appeared and disappeared unexpectedly. I made them drive in rain and in snow ... it was quite the learning experience.

Courtney ... my grandson had a couple of marijuana charges dealing with those were a piece of cake compared to the DWI. Third charge is a felony here in VA, so he's either stopped using, or is careful to only use when he's not likely to get caught. His sister's DWI charge/cost has been a wakeful call for him ... he used up his "Bank of Memaw" account with the earlier charges. I'll help once ... do it again and you're on your own moneywise.

bestcee likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Evidently my school district has already used 2 virtual snow days just in the month of February. And, I expect at least another one or two next week. There is no school on Monday for President's Day so they luck out there with the snow that is predicted to come in over night Sunday/Monday. 1 to 3" then another 4 to 8" on Monday. And the forecast is showing another 2 to 5" possible on Thursday. I will be surprised if they have school in person on Tuesday if we do get that much snow since it is supposed to be an all day thing. We have many miles of country roads in our school district so bus routes are iffy at times. The plows will have a hard time keeping up especially if it is windy.

13. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I finished the monthly and designer challenges like a week into the month... Now I'm just working through my "to-scrap" file in my brain, deciding what to tackle first. Though I did place an order at Persnickety for 113 prints, which I'm super excited about!! :woot