Soooo

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 3, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

IDK how exactly it works, because it's my first year. But, apparently, they schedule 10 days for Spring Break. And if they have to call snow days, they take from the first week. This year, two of them were used for starting school late at the beginning of the year. Going forward, they are planning 5 days for Spring Break, and virtual snow days. So I'll have to see the calendar when it's released to see where the other 5 days off went.

That's annoying! Like, why aren't the first 5 free? And yeah, it sucks to have the end of the year extended.

2. bestcee

@bellbird I'm now totally intrigued by your licensing process. I'm going to have to look up the plates and such!

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you guys don't have "L plates" (Learners) and then "P plates" (provisional - there's 2 levels here before full license - although the kids call it 'practicing')??

4. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I am checking out the Designer and Monthly Challenges

bestcee likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It was really crazy LOL...one vegetarian plant based, one gluten free keto, one unhealthy eater with lots of meat, starch and cheese, little veggies.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

Nope. Licenses - yes, but not actual plates or stickers or anything. There's no way to really know there's a student driver. There are driving schools, and they are usually marked as student driver, but not when you are just with your parents.

Depending on the state, the "graduated licensing" is different. Indiana is a learner, then probationary. Similar idea, but no plates.

7. bestcee

This sounds like my preferred diet.... :lol :backing It sounds just like pizza!

Although, we are moving closer to a little - middle meat, little starch, and lots of veggies.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The state of Ohio gives you 5 days you can call off without having to make them up. Anything past the 5 days unless the state makes exceptions have to be made up. The school district will use a scheduled day off like the various holidays or teacher's in-service days or cut short a break (mostly spring break) or add on to the end of the school year. A lot of schools around here have also implemented a new system for delays. It used to be 1 hour delay and if not better, call off the day. Now they can go as far as 2.5 hours with an extended day. Classes are shorter but the day is extended by maybe 30 to 45 minutes. State requires so many hours in the school day so they have to account for that.

Now with virtual school snow days, the school can call off for the 5 days. Then any after that are virtual and won't have to be made up. So in essence the school schedule for breaks or holidays or end of year won't change. I think many teachers and parents will like this part of virtual learning. Not doing it everyday but once in awhile isn't too bad. I'll have to ask my neighbor about it when I see him this summer. He is a teacher in a nearby school district. I saw him shoveling snow 2 days this week then saw his district was using their last snow day on one and virtual on the other one.

bestcee likes this.
  9. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I didn't finish MOC, so I'm really just doing what I have been doing.

My husband was on second shift the first couple of weeks in January and was on third shift the last two weeks, so I really only worked on MOC during the one of the second shift weeks. He on first now and will be rotating every two weeks between 3rd and 1st for the next little while. He's the head robotics coach for the two school teams that our kids do, and my set up works well for his zoom meetings, so between his sleeping and his online meetings, I pretty much can't ever use my big monitor. What's the point of scrapbooking without my fancy monitor? LOL

I'm trying to stay involved here at The Lilypad, though, to keep my motivation going. Although I think I write too much in each post.

We are still unpacking our storage unit so most of my "extra" (scrapbooking) time is being spent wondering where things go. Mostly Somewhere Else, but I have to look inside the boxes before I can mark them for donation.

bestcee likes this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

MOC with my new work from home gig(which is crazy in January) plus regular CT duties just about killed me! Lol! So now I'm just trying to take a breath! Thankfully my work has slowed & I'm having fun with just the monthly challenges!

11. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Doing the monthly, designer challenges, CT duties and house stuff, and longing for some looooooooong holidays.

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

Never too much! Write as much as you want.

13. bestcee

No more dental office? What did I miss?!?!

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol oh I still do that too! I'm in the office doing hygiene 2 days a week & then doing dental insurance verification remotely from home too now!

bestcee likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So if there isn't a magnetic L or P or something for other drivers on the road or in carparks to see, how do they know to be more patient if they're behind them or to give them a wide berth?!
    (they hadn't gone magnetic when I learnt, you just had to kind of tuck the plastic ones in behind the licence plate on the front & back of the car and keep a stash handy & hope you noticed if one fell off because it's an offence to not display them on the front & back in most, if not, all the states here - they'd lose points from their license & get a fine. You can't even prop them up inside the front or back dash for some reason, they have to be on the outside.
    I do remember when DH hired a car in the UK & we ferried to France that the car had a GB sticker on it (for Great Britain not gigabytes as I initially thought - not my finest moment) so that if & when you crossed borders into other European countries, the other drivers would know - it felt a bit like we were back on our P's in France!

16. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

There's no official way to know. DD is still learning (between anxiety and it just not being a priority, it's been a loooong process) and we bought "student driver" magnets online that we stick on the back when we're out practicing anywhere other than a parking lot. I tend to just assume everyone who's being slow is either a new driver or is intimidated at the sometimes insane traffic around here, so I try to be patient just as a general rule. The only time I honk is a polite tap if the light has changed to green and I can tell the driver in front of me isn't paying attention, or a bit more aggressively if I think someone doesn't see me and is about to veer into me. DH will anger honk if someone does something stupid/dangerous, but I just go into defensive mode when that happens and focus on avoiding the accident.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The only designated plates in Ohio for special drivers are the red-on-yellow "party" plates. If someone has restricted driving privileges due to either a DUI conviction or administrative penalty, they are given these plates. It has been law for over 40 years but usually given out only if the judge required it. But I have been seeing them more in the last several years.

Student drivers when with a driving instructor are in cars that have "student driver" on them. Otherwise, there is no way to know if that slow driver is a new driver or just someone that is extra cautious.

18. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I have been reading loads lately, just started book 8 of the year.

19. bestcee

Like above, we don't. Instead, you just see people complaining about slow drivers online, or road raging past them. I think it's a fantastic idea - I wish we did that in the states.

I'm glad @KimJ pointed out there are magnetic signs you can buy. I will probably do that when Munchkin is learning to drive.

bellbird and KimJ like this.
  20. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I've never heard of anything like that. It's like a scarlet letter for your car. :giggle I'm sure households where multiple drivers share a car just love that. :P