Candles | Pad Patter 2.4

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 4, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

One of the little tricks I've been working on is when I'm at my desk working, I light a candle. I find this helps my mind remember it's supposed to be focused. For now, I've been lighting a candle when I do schoolwork. As you can imagine, I've gone through a lot of candles!

So, since I need a new one:

Do you like candles?
    Smelly or non-smelly?
    Do you have a favorite wax? (I got a soy one for Christmas and I like the way it burns)
    And please share your favorite candle!

Also, I'll admit I love the flickering candlelight look. I need to research if there's a lamp with the same look - for safety!

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not anymore. I get headaches just walking through a candle aisle from all the different smells. I used to be able to burn candles but had to stop when Mom's emphysema got bad in the early 90's. Because of that I became very sensitive to the smell as well (also perfumes).

Instead of candles I will diffuse a very subtle essential oil for a few minutes. Lemon is one of my favorites although I do love some of the blends I get from the company I buy from. I used to put a couple drops of Lemon on a cotton ball and have it on my desk when I worked. Nobody else could even smell it. So many people love Lavender but I cannot diffuse it at all... It gives me a headache!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Ummmm yes yes and yes!

I use Tapers and 3 week candles.
    My tapers are Northern Lights brand
    Smokeless/dripless, fragrance-free, and fits all standard taper holders.
    Product Details:
    Burns 13 hours
    1in x 1in x 10in
    They are expensive on line at $52 for 12 tapers BUT I buy them at a store here in Michigan (Meijer) that sells them for $2.49 per Taper.
    3 Wick, I burn Bath and Body Works candles. I will usually stock up during the big candle sales leading up to Christmas and get enough for the year. I usually end up paying around $8 per 3 wick with sales and coupons on top, when the normal price is $24.
    My Favorite scent is called Balsam and Firewood.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    bestcee likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My fave candle right now is Snuggly Sweater and I pick it up from Target. It's doesn't have as much throw as I like, but the smell is an almost a perfect dupe for an expensive, hand-poured candle at a local antique shop. That one is called Creeping Fig. Whatever the smell, it's just perfect.

I do also love Peach Bellini from Bath & Body Works, as well as Watermelon Lemonade, one that's Winter Cranberry or something like that. I also love Apple Cinnamon.

I think it's interesting that you're using smell to cement in that you are doing school work and/or need to focus. I use the lighting of candles after cleaning and at the end of the day/start of the evening. It signals a more relaxed state in the household.

I need to place an order at B&BW soon!

5. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

I love scented candles and wax melts. We tend to use different scents for different rooms and different times of the year. We also tend to pick a new plug in each time we go on holiday so that when we relight it at home we are reminded of our trip <3

6. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I like candles and have a candle warmer thingy I use to warm them..
    I also have one of those wax burner thingys ... and buy cheapo wax from walmart.. cause I am cheap!:) I really like apple cider scent, lemon grass and hazel nut. those are my go to scents normally
    but also love sweet pea, and vanilla.. but . sometimes grab for pie scents or cookies

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I haven't really used candles much since I switched over to wax melts. I'm like Kari and buy the Walmart ones. Anything vanilla or berry scented are my favorites. I also love hazelnut and pecan scents. I can't do anything flowery or too strong. I do have some fake flickering candles that I turn on occasionally.

8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

The main times I light candles is when I want to have a nice long relaxing bath at night. Lights go out and candles are lit. Makes the bathroom atmosphere more relaxing.
    For my Birthday last year my youngest granddaughter gave me a candle she had decorated which I did photograph and then the grandson gave his Poppa ( my husband) a candle he decorated for this last Christmas. I should take a photo of it and create a digital page about the two special candles.

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My VERY favorite scented candle is Sage & Citrus by Yankee Candle. They're kind of hard to find, but of all places, Cracker Barrel still has them. I even buy the car fresheners there.

bestcee likes this.
  10. bestcee

Oh, me too! I don't like lavender or fresia.

I had never thought of tapers! I bet they are gorgeous! And now I want some. Hmm...Decorating time?

That sounds intriguing!

It's Nick's fault. When our desks were next to each other, he'd light a candle to signal time to work. So, now my brain associates it. I wasn't doing it, and now our desks are apart, but I found when I started with the candle again last week, I did better at focusing. I have it on my desk though. If I light a candle elsewhere, it's relaxing.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. bestcee

This is so fun! I love it! What a cool tradition!

Oh, I'm totally intrigued by these smells. I'm going to look for them!

Yep. I find lavender and freesia too strong. Right now I have a wild orchid with coconut, and the coconut is what I smell. Although if I'm honest, there's not much smell to this one. It's mostly just light.

That sounds fabulous!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. bestcee

Cracker Barrel has the most randomly fun things! I had a sage one last winter. Sage and citrus sounds great!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i was kind of obsessed with yankee candle and a more local shop called dusk's wax melts but i haven't used them in a few years, only very quick 'sing the happy birthday song in fast forward like a chipmunk' birthday candles now due to toxicity with birds- it's an often discussed topic in bird forums - most reckon unfragranced 100% beeswax or soy candles are ok but labels are a minefield, sometimes a label that says 'soy candle' is not pure soy, y'know but i liked the scents more than anything, i still have some in the cupboard but after getting rid of the teflon cookware and such (for the same toxicity reason - if i could find a modern iron without teflon that would be amazing!) seems pointless to use them but i can't bring myself to get rid of my wax melt stash - i did see a specific brand one recommended but it was US based so i never bought from them

*i should add a lot of perfumes and such give me headaches these days so i don't know that i miss them really all that much

14. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I use a modified version of the Pomodoro technique to focus. I find that if I set a 25 minute timer, it's easier for me to stay on task knowing that I can give up after 25 minutes. (Sometimes I stop when the timer goes off, sometimes I keep going and finish what I'm doing, sometimes I finish before the timer and I'll work on something unplanned until the time ends. I take short breaks between the tasks.) But it works for me to break tasks up like that. I need the variety -- or illusion of variety -- in order to focus on a current task.

I used to burn candles, but I started to get a black spot on my vaulted ceiling -- it took years to get to where it was noticeable -- and I switched to the Yankee Candle Scenterpiece melts. I love that they come in cups -- I can swap out the cups with my mood and replace them with new ones when they lose their fragrance. After the initial cost of the original cups, I can remove the wax and replace it with whatever brand I have on hand. The ones I have light up and have a timer, so they turn off automatically after a few hours, but they have others that are only warmers.

15. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

my space is always so cluttered and full of energetic people bouncing around - I don't feel safe with candles in this environment. Occasionally when it's peaceful I clear a space to light one. My son loves to make candles and they were his first choice for teacher gifts every year though Primary school.

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I do this too!!! It feels a little indulgent and like I'm treating myself. I tend to do seasonal ones - fresh airy in spring, summer I don't use them often bc I'm outside a lot, winter I do warm cozy smells, and autumn I do things like hazelnut cream or caramel/pumpkin smells. The soft light and the soothing smells make me happy. Even if I just use them for a half hour at a time.

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I typically don't light candles for an everyday thing, but will when we have company over. But....

THIS is my splurge when I want to have the house smell good (I linked the image): :heartslub

[​IMG]

It smells HEAVENLY. They also have Ginger Cake and Apple Cider. I may go light it now, just because.

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've never gotten into using candles much. I appreciate the look but I just rarely think about them.
    And I am sensitive to fragrances. Many artificial ones really bother me.

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

T- lights or nice block candles, but no scent. It always smells very fake to me, and it leaves a lingering unpleasant " something ".... But I love the candle light itself.

20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love Cracker Barrell! Sage Candles are nice too. If you ever find Sage and Citrus, try it - I promise you'll like it. I buy the Sage and Citrus car fresheners on Amazon and love to keep one in my car.

bestcee likes this.