inspired or insulted / Pad Patter 5 Feb

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Feb 5, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Do you have any apps or a calendar that gives you a bit of trivia or a phrase a day, motivational or otherwise?

DD shares her motivational phrase of the day with me sometimes before school (or after school when it's a 'hurry up and just get ready!' morning - i think it's from 'Quotes to Inspire: Daily Positive Motivation Words but it shows up as Ultimate Quotes. Some of the phrases i recognise from wordart (maybe that's because i've been scrapbooking so long - i dunno but i think some of the apps were suggested in a school wellbeing thing last year). And this year she also has a Shakespearean Insult a day calendar on her desk (it was on sale otherwise i woulda said nope), they're less motivational obviously but kind of funny sometimes in a creative way and well i don't mind literary-geek stuff in the slightest!

rlucasmn likes this.
  2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I don’t have any but I gave Grandson , Connor a real daily photo calendar for awkward family photos. The perfect way for a 13 year old to start his day.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

App or calendar? No

I get my bits of trivia from Snapple bottlecaps. The bottle I opened today had this to say: Toe wrestling is a competitive sport.

:giggle

bellbird likes this.
  4. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

LOL! I was trying to picture the toe wrestling championships so I googled the origin of toe wrestling...

“The game was invented by four drinkers in Ye Olde Royal Oak Inn in Wetton, Staffordshire in 1974, who was bemoaning the fact that the United Kingdom struggled to produce any world champions. Logically, if a new sport was invented that no one else knew about, the country could boast a champion at last. Having tried "ear wrestling" and "push of war" (with a scaffolding pole), Pete Cheetham, Eddie Stansfield, Pete Dean, and Mick Dawson created toe wrestling...”

Donitab, bellbird and bonnenuit like this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I did have an app installed that had positive messages for building up self-esteem. I finally had to uninstall because I usually would roll my eyes at the corny statements. I figured I was causing more harm than good by being so critical of the app and chose to just use a notebook to make positive statements about myself that I could actually hear myself saying.

Donitab, rlucasmn, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't have a daily anything, but this made me remember when we were growing up, I used to buy my sister a Far Side daily calendar every year for Christmas. Those were funny! I wonder if they still make them.

The only thing I get popping up daily is my Apple Watch kindly telling me that it's been yet another hour of sitting on your backside in front of your computer... get up and move around! :giggle

Donitab, CaroB71 and bellbird like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I follow illustrator Sandra Boynton on Instagram. Her daily cartoons are enough to make me smile, and sometimes outright laugh!

I fondly remember one year in college, after a terribly stressful final exam day, my friend and I went to the college bookstore and started reading through her greeting cards that were on sale. We were laughing so hard that people kept coming over to see what was so funny. They made a lot of card sales that day!

Donitab, bellbird and BevG like this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No apps or websites for trivia every day but @QuiltyMom reminded me that I do follow comic strip creator Cathy Guisewite on Facebook. I loved her back when she started "Cathy" in the 70's as I related to everything she was going through as a single female. Turns out she is only 5 years older than me so in essence we were living the same life. I even bought the books that were compilations of her comic strips and still have them.

These days she is doing daily comics about quarantine life. Oh, can I relate!

QuiltyMom, Donitab and bellbird like this.
  9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

https://www.instagram.com/nathanwpylestrangeplanet/

Nathan's strange planet.
    I love the way his mind works, love the ordinary every day things and the quirky language.
    This pops up in my feed and either I send it to one of my kids or my oldest sends it to me.

It neither inspires nor insults but it makes me giggle.

bellbird likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Same. :giggle

CaroB71, Karen and bellbird like this.
  11. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have a bible app that puts up a new Bible verse everyday. I have it set up so it pops up as an ‘alert’ on my phone.

Donitab and bellbird like this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh my gosh! I remember those Cathy comics, they were awesome & I remember they were with @Karen 's Far Side & (I think her name was) Blondie, & Garfield in the Sunday newspaper my fam would always buy (b/c we needed cage liner for the budgie cage & a TV guide!) Do you have a link for Cathy's quarantine comics?

Karen likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Bwahaha!
    That is hilarious!

CaroB71 likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Is it weird I find ear wrestling harder to imagine as a competitive sport than toe wrestling?!

CaroB71 likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Your way definitely sounds more useful (& wonderful!) , there's definitely been some eyerolls & corn but sometimes that adds to the funny for DD & that serves another valuable purpose these days.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

how fun! knowing someone that has had greeting cards made sounds like knowing a published author to me, glad you could help boost sales!

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh I know those! You're so right about his mind & quirks -his version of Its Bits Spider made me smile when I figured out what he was doing! Clever & fun!

Donitab and StefanieS like this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Here's the link to her website. Cathy Guisewite | Author & Cartoonist

She has links there to her instagram and facebook pages. I follow her on facebook, but it looks like she posts the quarantine comics on her instagram as well.

bellbird likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

seriously one of the best things i follow now on instagram! thank you!!!!

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I adore her books! I read them over and over to munchkin as a kid. I hadn't thought to see what she had for adults!

QuiltyMom likes this.