Ways to earn extra cash

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jan 31, 2021.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've done medical transcription work for 35 yrs, part time in the evenings and wkends for extra money but then eventually quit my job at the hospital and became self employed, working at home full time. I supplemented my income here and there with portrait/wedding photography, teaching classes in a number of local scrapbook stores and did pet babysitting. Last fall (when my back arthritis got out of control) I quit one of my two transcription clients and now just work part time doing that and nothing else. It feels good to work less and have more free time, it just sucks to give up the money but we seem to be adjusting ok, just cutting back on some things.

At one point I thought about selling digital cards on etsy but there are so many that do that, it doesn't seem very lucrative.

dotcomkari likes this.
  2. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

Mine is very specific... I teach in the local Foster and Kinship Care Education department at our local community college. So, I teach other foster parents about important topics they can use while they are fostering. I really love the work, so I have decided to go back to college and get a Masters degree in Social Work.

It does give an idea, though, which is to offer to teach classes in your local community college's Community Education Department. If you are good at something DIY and people want to learn how to do it, you can make money teaching classes on it at the Community College level. And, since most classes are on Zoom right now, you can teach for a much further distance than you could realistically travel, especially if you know how to teach something that is in high demand because it is popular/trendy or not a lot of people know how to do it! I myself have taken classes on building tiny houses, painting, and a few other fun things...

HUggles!!
    ~Sarah~

bestcee and dotcomkari like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

This is a great idea. If you have a skill, trade, or whatever that you think people would be interested in learning, you could put in an inquiry at your local Adult Education office. I taught quilting, knitting, and crocheting for years, and I set when and how often I wanted to teach (typically once a semester, but they really wanted me to do more!) You could ask if there's an area they're looking for an instructor, or just let them know what you could offer them. The worst thing they could say is "no thank you", but ask them to keep your name on file for future consideration.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My daughter and her husband do the Plasma for their extra spending money they figure its a win win!

are you going to have candle holders at your wedding? I have 5 different shaped metal taper holders that I bought at thrift stores for cheap and spray painted them black they turned out awesome!
    below - when I bought these they were tarnished metal and nothing to look at. I got the idea on Pinterest 50CF1193-7405-499C-B1FB-0FB7863961CC.jpeg

bestcee likes this.