?Anyone here use Dropbox Plus?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by janedee, Jan 31, 2021.

1. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I got an email yesterday from Dropbox advertising this plan. Most of the time I just hit delete, but I've been trying to re-organize my files and make some space so I wondered if any of you use it and, if you do, do you find it worth the price?
    I was thinking that it would save me a lot of time transferring files between my desktop and laptop, plus cataloguing should be much easier too. Its a bit expensive but I might be able to drop my cloud back up subscription if I used Dropbox Plus as it gives you 2TB of storage and I haven't hit that yet!

I'd love to hear if anyone has tried it or has other recommendations

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I only use DropBox for business use, but I do have a paid account. I used to use DropBox to transfer my photos from my cell phone to my computer, but now I use Google Photos for that process instead. It was easy to use DropBox to transfer files!

As far as managing photos, layouts, and photos, I use two external hard drives as well as the one inside my computer. The EHDs both are 4 TB and the internal is 1 TB. I have cloud backup with Backblaze.

janedee likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I don't use it but hubby is losing patience with me and my fast use of EHDs.

djp332 and janedee like this.
  4. janedee

Thanks @gonewiththewind. I'm currently using Carbonite for cloud backup and two 2TB EHDs to store older supplies which I would continue to do and duplicate all files between laptop and desktop. I had two EHDs go bad on me within a month so I'm a bit reluctant to trust my main stash/photos to them now. I was hoping to eliminate the copying files from one to the other by using Dropbox.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Then DropBox is super easy to use for transferring files. :) Or at least I find it user friendly.

janedee likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I use Dropbox just to transfer files from my phone to my computer. When I worked I would use it to transfer files that I needed when I worked from home during year end fiscal work. I only have the free account and keep very little actually in the account. It is not used for storage by me.

I still prefer EHD's... have 4 of them. And, since one of them has a duplicate of my digi supplies and documents, if I need them on my laptop, I can just copy them from there since I would probably have it with me especially if I was away somewhere scrapping.

janedee likes this.
  7. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have Dropbox Plus. I use it for files that I want to access on multiple devices. It's not where I need it to be yet, as I tried several cloud services at the same time, and have reduced it down to Dropbox and One Drive. (Since I use both iOS and Windows, I need a service that is compatible with both.) I like OneDrive, but Dropbox seems to be more widely accessible in the apps that I use.

janedee likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use Dropbox free only. I use it to transfer things from my phone to my computer, especially photos. It works for that, usually. I find that sometimes it doesn't want to actually sync unless I open the app and push it. Other times it'll sync on its own.
    Currently, I have Lightroom watch my Dropbox folder, and move photos from DB to my computer, so I don't pay for it. I do like the ease of OneDrive for moving documents to different computers. I have a Windows desktop/laptop and Android phone so they play nice together. I don't pay for that either right now though, I just pull stuff out when I'm done with it.

I pay for Backblaze as my backup, so I don't have large Dropbox or OneDrive space.

janedee likes this.
  9. janedee

@bestcee - Doesn't Onedrive take up a huge amount of space on your hard drive? I turned mine off because it seemed to be mirroring my hard drive ..

10. bestcee

I only let it sync certain folders. For me what works is this: I have the folders I want synced in the OneDrive folder. Then, if it's a one-off document, I will add it to OneDrive. Once I'm done needing it synced, I pull it out of OneDrive on my main computer where it's backed up. I work hard to keep it organized, and that way it doesn't take up a lot of space. It's sitting at 400MB right now.

janedee likes this.
  11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I just have the free Dropbox. Occasionally I have to add more to it if I'm collecting pictures from someone for a wedding album. But I think I'm done doing that, so I won't need more space in the future.

12. sakura-panda

I do this too; my problem is that is is a work in progress.

I was using external hard drives, but I kept upgrading them (until I realized my USB port was the issue, not my drives) and I have three not quite identical copies that need to be consolidated to one.

I signed up for three cloud services a few years ago, to see which one best fit my needs, and now have five not-identical copies of my scrapbooking projects and supplies that need to be consolidated.

I'm currently working on clearing out my Google Drive, a few files at a time, here and there; it's going slowly. In the meantime, I am still flip flopping between one drive and dropbox. I have many directories set to online only, because my hard drive is less than half of what I have in the cloud.

Right now, I don't think I can get rid of either -- I need to get those two clouds and three hard drives organized and consolidated. At the moment, Dropbox and One Drive are my back up, because I don't care about saving the applications and settings on my computer, just the media I have created (photos, layouts, and other original files and documents) and I can manage those myself.

13. bestcee

@sakura-panda
    I had a few external hard drives because I kept ending up with small ones for a steal. What I did was take one (A) that was mostly the same, and dumped all the files onto another one (B). Then I cleared A off and put all my photos on it. Once that was done, I repeated the process. I took whichever one was most redundant and moved stuff to a different one. So, at one point, photos were on two, and supplies and pages were on one, other stuff on a third, etc.
    I did have it all backed up to the cloud so I knew if I screwed up, I could recover it.

I wish I had just bought a new bigger one. Because a year later when I did, it was so much easier to transfer everything and organize it. I do still have a second EHD that just has photos on it. Because I'm paranoid about losing my photos.

14. sakura-panda

@bestcee I have a 500 GB, a 1 TB and a 3 TB. I didn't take the time to check them when I upgraded, instead, I would copy everything over into a directory I named after the hard drive, so the second one has the "xx" hard drive plus its own files, and the third one has a directory of "xy", that included both "xx" and its new files. I can find everything on my newest drive, but I want to verify it's all there before I reformat the older ones, and it only gets worse the more I use it in the meantime.

To be honest, if I can look at all three hard drives at once, organizing them shouldn't be difficult; it's taking the time to do it when I'd rather be scrapbooking. LOL In the end, I expect to end up with both my newest EHD (backup and offline use) and probably Dropbox, because it has more storage and compatibility across apps and devices. (I like to scrapbook on my iPad when I'm waiting on the kids at their activities. Or I did, back in the day when there were activities and waiting to do.) It's a mess right now, but should be easy to clean up and keep up to date once I get my hard drives in order.

I would like to eventually have 4x6 pocket albums with unscrapbooked photos in them, like I did before I started scrapbooking, just to have original copies that aren't digital, but that's another project for the future.

bestcee likes this.
  15. bestcee

@sakura-panda
    I totally feel this! I hate organize instead of scrap. I have to remind myself that the end result will make scrapping faster. Also, the unfinished/want to do projects? Yep! I got a list of those!

janedee likes this.
  16. janedee

@bestcee and @sakura-panda - that’s exactly how I’ve been feeling lately - frustrated that Im Spending more time organizing than scrapping but I also find that when I’m not organized, I can’t focus on my scrapping anyway! I switch from scrapping on my laptop to desktop to iPad and have started “Transfer To” file folders in Dropbox so I don’t end up with supplies or layouts on one but not another.

bestcee likes this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Understand where you are coming from @janedee but I've been in the situation that I have not had internet available when I've been scrapping when I went to retreats over 10 years ago. And, if it was available it was slow if too many people were using it. Dropbox does not do any good in that case. Guess that's why I still make sure I have a copy of all my digi scrapping supplies and photos on an EHD. Plug in to the laptop and I'm good to go.

Good luck in your organizing!

bestcee and janedee like this.