allergy letter

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Gabi, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Gabi

Gabi Kate's best friend :)

Hi there,

does anyone sent a letter to parents about her child having an allergy? The principal in my son's school told me I should send a letter to all the parents of Patrik's schoolmates about his peanut allergy. The school doesn't have peanuts free allergy policy though and it should be a note that peanuts can be very dangerous for him. Any experience with that? Thank you.

2. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

yup! We have a child in Moo's school that has alopecia and they actually put a letter in the news letter each year explaining that she is just allergic to her own hair etc... it's a very good explanation as to the child's condition.

as for Moo, I have discussed her allergies with her teachers... and I have a "birthday box" in class that has all sorts of goodies in it, just for Moo if someone brings in treats that she is unable to have - pretty much is all the time for her. As far as peanut allergies go (the hubster is anaphyactic) what they do around here is have the teacher notify the parents and just ask to include wrappers on any snacks that are brought into class and and a listing of ingredients for homemade items. Some of the classes have just banned items with any form of tree nut period... in fact our school has gone to a soy butter instead of peanut butter - but of course soy is one of the foods Moo is allergic too...

If you'd like to see the newsletter... pm me and I will make sure to get you a copy...

3. Gabi

Thanks, Andrea!
    I'm going to meet my son's teacher tomorrow so I'm going to talk to her about this. I found some letters online and I will try to put something together. But I might pm you tomorrow though. Thanks again!

4. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

i know with my youngest's school, the kids each have a day they bring in snacks for the class and they stated to not to bring in anything with peanuts due to a childs allergy in the class on the snack day calendar
    which is good to know

5. eryn

eryn gross no longer

peanuts are serious enough that the principal should take the initiative to make the school nut free. I would honestly keep at him until he does.
    My children don't have allergies but another child in their classes does. When they were in the younger classes, everything brought from home was checked by a teacher, and they also had to wash their hands when they arrived at school as it can be transferred that way too. The junior primary was made nut free because of that one child, and now that he is getting older, the entire school will be going nut free.

If he thinks it's too hard, just let him know what he'll be in for if something happens to your child. He is responsible for him/her while they are at school and it will be known that it was his choice NOT to make school a safe environment.

gee I'm bossy!! lol I just think that you do your best to make your home safe for your child, and yet you then have to send them to a school that is definitely not safe. And you can't be there if something happens. That's not fair on either of you. hugs :)

6. Keela

Keela I have puppy fever!!

Our elementary school does it class by class. So, if there is a person in the class with a peanut allergy, that class is peanut free. We also are NOT allowed to bring homemade goodies into the classrooms. Non of them. And...I am pretty sure that our school's hot lunches are all peanut free. Seems like your school needs to address the issue! Good luck! :heythere

7. shades of bliss

shades of bliss bolʹshie koshki

By law in MN (or maybe just district law, but I don't think so) you have to bring store brought food only for children. (Teachers can anything they want, lol.) I'm not sure it is the peanut thing, but the clean kitchen thing.

But they do do the peanut free thing class by class at our schools. I've never received letters from the parent?!! but from the school stating the classroom needs to peanut free.

8. Gabi

I'm meeting Patrik's teacher after school today so I will ask her. But I put his epipen on his belt instead just keeping it in his backpack, one never knows...
    Thanks for your replies, girls!

9. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

If it's serious enough that he has to carry his pen around, I'd do everything in my power to make them be nut free!

10. Brandy

Brandy I love, well, everything

I know for my son's Kindergarten class we were told in a letter from the teacher that they were peanut free due to allergies in the class. I thought that was great to know because when they mentioned bringing snacks in it made me nervous since I wasn't sure if the other kids had allergies or not (my son doesn't).

11. neenee

neenee No Woman No Cry

I don't think you are bossy at all. Obviously something you feel strongly about and for good reason. Peanut allergies are very serious and there is no reason why the school can't eliminate the danger for the sake of the child(ren). :tu

12. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

My children's teacher usually sends a note home about allergies.
    I do think it's strange the principal thinks YOU should do it.
    I mean you could type it out and give proper information.
    But, wouldn't it be so much easier for the teacher to just slip
    the note home in backpacks?

Good luck. I know peanut allergies can be scary.

All homemade foods are banned from class parties and bake sales at some schools around here.
    At our last school my sons class was asked to NOT even pack pb and j sandwiches one child's allergies were so severe.

13. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

a bunch of ladies whose daughters are in the same dance class as meagan were just talking about this same issue yesterday... but they were mad because their kids don't have allergies, and they have been asked to bring in allergen-free snacks. but they were saying there are several different allergies in the class, peanut, egg, wheat, etc. and they didn't know what was left that they COULD bring. i finally got tired of listening to them and said, 'what about carrots? or apple slices? pretty sure those are egg & peanut free.'

i don't think they liked it much. lol! they want the school to provide a list of brand-name products that they can buy off of the shelf that requires no thought or effort on their part... i'm sorry... i think i should stop before I say something mean.

but the truth is, it is these kinds of parents that are also applying the opposite pressure to your school / principal. so maybe if you combat it by being proactive... maybe taking a specific list of suggested products / snacks that could be sent home to parents. That way they have an easy, ready-made tool to use that will empower non-allergy parents (who feel like being lazy and whiney) to buy appropriate snacks. just a thought. but i thought of you as i listened to them crab and moan. blah... okay, zipping the lips again. :)

14. Gabi

Thanks, girls!

I know what you mean, Rebecca. That's the thing I was afraid about, the reaction of parents. Those who have kids allergy free don't sometimes realize how serious it can be for the kids with allergies.
    And lol about what to give to kids for snacks comments. We are from Europe where kids have hot lunches (soup, another meal, salad and drink) at school every day. I think it is much easier for the parents. We are used to hot lunches so I cook every day and give the lunch for my son into thermos. For snacks we do yogurts, cheese strings and a lot of fruit.
    I'm going to write the letter during the weekend and will bring it to the class on Monday. Hope the reactions will be ok.