January 20: Photography Challenge | Through a lens of possibility

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by FarrahJobling, Jan 20, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

January 20: Photography Challenge | Through a lens of possibility

Hi MOCers! Hopefully you've been following along with this month's LEAP chats, as we have been discussing the technique of shooting through objects.

The technique of shooting through an object or placing an object in front of your lens can instantly add an element of interest and dimension to a photograph. If you shoot through something that is transparent or semi-transparent, you create interesting reflections, blurs or patterns on your subject. If you shoot through something that’s opaque, you create dimension by having an out of focus foreground element.

Level 1 - The easiest thing to shoot through is glass or plastic. Examples - windows, prism, glass orb/crystal ball, drinking glass or bottle, plastic wrap, stained glass window, magnifying glass
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Level 2 - Shooting "through" objects...or put simply - having something out of focus in the foreground/just in front of your lens. Examples - foliage, fences, a picture frame, copper tube, or anything else in the environment
    [​IMG]

Level 3 -
    Think outside the box and shoot "through" an object from the perspective of being inside of the object. Examples - slinky, washing machine/dryer, ice cream cone, snow, popcorn bucket, use your imagination for a unique photo...the possibilities are endless
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

INSTRUCTIONS:
    For this challenge, please create a layout with a NEW PHOTO in which you have shot a subject through an object. It MUST be obvious that you have shot through something in that you will have dimension and something between you and the subject.

MOC RULES:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.

Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

*****NOTE: This is a photo challenge! You MUST include a NEW photo! And it MUST be obvious that you shot the photo with something between you and the subject.*****

Here are some examples LOs:

[​IMG]

crazsquaw, lcpereyra, G.J. and 5 others like this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

These are always the most tough for me.

disneysheryl65 likes this.
  3. FarrahJobling

Reserved for questions

Does the photo have to be NEW?

YES- The entire point of this challenge is to make you think specifically about the photos you take and hopefully inspire you to try something new. If you just happened to have a photo from 3 years ago that fits this challenge...AWESOME, I'd love to see it!....BUT NO...It WILL NOT work for this challenge. This challenge is not due today...you still have 10 days left in the month, so no need to rush into taking a photo just for the sake of taking a photo TODAY. I did 2 bonus LEAP chats this month...the first one on Jan 3 and the other on Jan 11. There is even a thread in the learning pad this month dedicated to this subject. I'm also hosting a technique scrap tonight for this challenge. So...we've been talking about this for the whole month. I have a list of people who attended the chats and I am prepared for their photos to be NEW *since Jan 3*....but other than that, the photo should be taken AFTER your read the challenge....it's not a challenge that you can just look through your stash and find one that fits. The rest of the LO is 100% up to you! This is a PHOTO challenge. I am being really picky about this because it is a photo specific challenge...but it's always good to remember that these are "challenges" and all for fun......so enjoy and feel free to pick out some choice words for my nickname ;)

Can I double down and use this scrap and the technique scrap in ONE LO...

YES...Check it out HERE

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    crazsquaw likes this.
  4. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Your examples are items that are "complete" as in a full circle shot through or a full image - can it be something that isn't complete but still shot through - like an arm or through, say, the pocket made in mouse ears?

G.J. and FarrahJobling like this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

And is journaling allowed - my idea won't work if it isn't. :)

FarrahJobling likes this.
  6. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Thank you for this challenge:
    my son had a fun time. He choose how to do this challenge. Never made a layout faster. But it really was fun and what he/we pictured. :heartslub

[​IMG]

7. FarrahJobling

Yes....of course..doesn't even have to be round...a fence would work...and YES...journaling is allowed

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Farrah! I had fun with this.. Photo is through the top of the King chess piece
    [​IMG]

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

When I saw this challenge it immediately made me think of this picture my hubby took last month. :giggle We have friends that have a basement bar with taps to serve beer that our friend brews himself. When he started brewing, he started a "beer wall" that had pictures of himself and his friends drinking beer. His wife and I complained that we were never on the wall because we usually drink wine, so she started a "wine wall" with pictures of us. Long story short, ever since then anytime my hubby drinks wine which is pretty rare, he takes a picture and sends it to our friend who then puts HIM on the wine wall. So after we decorated our Christmas tree this year, I grabbed a glass of wine and my hubby asked for a glass too. I was just zoning out looking at the tree and then I noticed he was taking a selfie with himself drinking wine. I knew what he was up to, so I photobombed his artsy picture. :rofl (look inside his wine glass). I know this isn't a new picture so it won't work for this challenge, but I'm totally scrapping this story anyway. Hee hee

IMG_0045 small.jpg

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    I hope my photo qualifies, and that it's ok to add more photos.

AlyciaIN, G.J., flowersgal and 2 others like this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I admit to trying so many different things, racing to get to the posed picture with my phone timer...oh my gosh, I made myself laugh! I wasn't sure if my photo was okay, so had to check with Farrah, because I want the 'spirit' of the challenge to come thru! It is what makes the MOC so fun! I hope you notice I added a bright burst of light for the fridge! bhahha such an artist! ahhahah
    [​IMG]

12. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

here is mine - through a window mesh screen
    [​IMG]

13. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Photo taken from behind the window at the first floor. We had a storm last night and it made a big mess in our backyard. We have a lot of damage.

[​IMG]

QuiltyMom, rrred68, Smwhite and 7 others like this.
  14. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fun challenge. Shooting through foliage in my garden.

[​IMG]

15. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

1-20-21 PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE - THROUGH A LENS OF POSSIBILITY
    Take a NEW photo shot thru something (ie glass, plastic, etc). I chose to shoot thru a mason jar.
    I got this little stuffed baby yoda for Christmas and he sits on my desk. So he was posing today for me as I tried to get good shots thru a mason jar.

Top and bottom photo are thru the mason jar and middle is no mason jar in natural light.

I used a template by FDD from TLP Rituals collab. kit; papers and elements from A. Pennington Not Pictured Kit.
    [​IMG]

16. Isa Marks

Isa Marks Pollywog

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

great photo Karen.. Love your photo bomb of you sipping your wine too! Definitely do a page with this and the story for sure!

Karen likes this.
  18. FarrahJobling

I hate to be a total B about this, but I’m really going to be picky about the “NEW” photo requirement. If you’re on a plane right now, or came to one of my chats, tell me to Shut The Front Door and ignore me ;)

jenn mccabe, jk703, sharonb and 3 others like this.
  19. FarrahJobling

That’s an awesome shot! Thank you for respecting the “new” photo requirement

20. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I shot it through a cut glass drinking glass
    [​IMG]