Sooooooo happy

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 19, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Been wanting to upgrade from 8 to 16gb of RAM to make my laptop a bit zippier for probably 2 years now (actually 3 believe it or not) and it’s either been out of stock or too expensive. About a week ago I thought I had cracked finding the right RAM online til my far more tech knowledgeable friend said nope, it’s the wrong speed. I suggest you contact the computer and tech supply store we use so I did with a link to the specs of my laptop and also asking how much it would cost to install (my friend subtly asked how I was getting it installed which I read as don’t ask me this time!) and they’ve just emailed me with a link to the RAM and a cost to install it which was much cheaper than I expected so hopefully by the end of next week I should have a much faster machine fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Memaw2Wm, QuiltyMom, Karen and 8 others like this.
  2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

That sounds like some great news!

3. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Woo hoo! Hope it goes smoothly!

4. littlekiwi

It is, just wish I had time this week to sort it but with a job assessment centre to prepare for it has to wait til next week.

I hope so too, hence why I’m paying professionals to install it.

KimJ likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Hooray for you Jennifer!!! May it all go well- the job assessment and the installation!

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

7. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I'm jealous--that's the #1 on my computer wish list right now. Can't wait to hear how your system works afterward.

8. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Nothing beats faster when it comes to the computer! Well, except maybe more hard drive.

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

So glad for you. I bet you’ll be counting the days until it’s done.

10. littlekiwi

Well just heard from the retailer, I need to allow a week for them to install RAM which seems crazy on a number of levels so my friend has offered to install it for payment of gluten free/celiac safe snacks. Now I just need to hope the RAM I was told would work actually does because by looking at what’s already in my machine and what the retailer is suggesting they don’t match (but I’m not technical enough to tell whether it could work).
    Here’s what my machine has 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
    Here’s what the retailer suggested
    Crucial 8GB DDR4 SODIMM 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) CL17 SR x8 Unbuffered SODIMM 260pin DDR4 For Laptop and other SODIMM Compatiable devices

11. littlekiwi

My hard drive is only maybe half full if that.

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Excited for you, @littlekiwi . . . it's amazing how much the speed will change your scrapping. Or at least it was that way when I got my new computer a couple of years ago.

13. littlekiwi

Well it will only be exciting if I can figure out if the retailer has recommended the right RAM....I have a gut feeling they haven’t and the one I potentially need is about 7 times the price and out of stock

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi Crossing all crossables that it works out and it's an inexpensive but fabulous upgrade!

15. littlekiwi

Lets say I don’t have nearly $500 for 8gb of RAM. It was the last thing I needed today.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Try this site: https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor I have used it, and it should give you a list of what will work on your computer.

Crucial brand is what's in my laptop. Idr if it's also in my desktop? It might be because my brother built it and he likes crucial.

littlekiwi likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

Awesome, thanks @bestcee for the link. I’m not so much worried about brand as such, more that all the numbers and letters match

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The link should run and show you what works with your laptop. The tech specs if you will. I used it and bought my RAM for the laptop and it worked just fine.

19. littlekiwi

thank you, thank you, thank you @bestcee you've saved me going crazy and spending a tonne of money. Crucial's scan suggested the exact same one that I had been told would work by the retailer

Memaw2Wm, Karen and bestcee like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's very exciting! Be sure your files are backed up before you crack open your laptop... just in case. :agree

bestcee likes this.