Popcorn day | pad patter 1.19.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jan 19, 2021.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

upload_2021-1-19_9-13-12.jpeg

It’s national popcorn day... Yay! We are popcorn lovin fools at our house. We make popcorn at least once a week and always get it with extra butter when we go to the movies. We’ve even done curbside pickup of movie theater popcorn during the pandemic... oh so good... YUM! Maybe I’ll have hubby pick some up tonight on his way home!

Are you a popcorn lover? What’s your favorite kind... salted, buttered, kettle, caramel, white cheddar, etc? I love em all.

G.J. likes this.
  2. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I miss movie theater popcorn with all that greasy butter. Gosh I miss that so much!

We love popcorn in our house, too. The stores have been out of it constantly so I just bought the big box from Costco. We can each eat a bag by ourselves.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love popcorn. I even have an awesome microwave air popper. And then I moved where there's no microwave.
    So, after a failed air popper, I bought a stovetop popper.

I am in love. Total love! I bought their artificial flavoring salt - and now I make movie theater tasting popcorn at home!! Only, it's always fresh, never stale! I don't think I'll ever go back to microwave popcorn.

[​IMG]

4. keepscrappin

Our stores have been out of popcorn or really low stock too, so I buy some when I see it. Thank goodness I had a good supply in my food storage room when this all started.

5. keepscrappin

my in-laws had a popper like that and would make popcorn for everyone on Sunday night when the kids were little.

bestcee likes this.
  6. carrie1977

Man...not sure how my kids would survive in a house with no microwave. lol

I have one of those silicone microwave popper thingies but it is so bland. I might have to get one of these stove top devices. My parents always popped corn in a big pot on the stove whenever we would go to the drive-in theater. I remember it being so yummy!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I absolutely love popcorn and am missing it so much! With the end in sight for my dental issues, I hope that I can start eating it again this summer. It honestly isn't fun eating it when it causes tooth breakage so I had to give it up about 4 to 5 years ago.

I used to eat a bag of popcorn for supper while watching Survivor on Wednesday nights.

@bestcee since you have that popper why don't you try popping it in bacon grease? That's how I ate it growing up. Dad would save any bacon grease and use it to pop popcorn on the stove while he stood there and shook the pan... you know back in the dark ages before microwaves or air poppers!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. bestcee

An excuse to make bacon? Hmm... I'll have to try it next time we make bacon!

keepscrappin and HavaDrPepper like this.
  9. bestcee

We do have a toaster oven. Not the same, unless you are reheating pizza.

We have a hard microwave one. But yes, compared to the stovetop? Totally bland to me!

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Dad used a plastic tub to put the grease in and just added to it every time we had bacon. I remember a Cool Whip container labeled "Bacon" in the refrigerator at all times. Then he would just use a spoonful when popping the corn instead of oil.

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  11. bestcee

Shall I admit that I sent my husband to the store to buy a bag of popcorn at Sam's Club? He returned with 3 which meant 75lbs of popcorn! That was a few years ago, and we just move it with us. If it doesn't pop, we rehydrate the kernals. I haven't had to buy popcorn since.

keepscrappin and carrie1977 like this.
  12. bestcee

I love bacon grease when cooking chicken. Also, I use it in cornbread as part of the oil. I apparently haven't made bacon since we moved?

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. carrie1977

I put a bacon saver in my hubbies stocking a couple of Christmases ago. It always has grease in it. We are a bacon eating family. lol

14. keepscrappin

@HavaDrPepper - BACON popcorn... YUM! :wub I wanna try it next time we get out the oil popper.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  15. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My mom made popcorn for herself EVERY night after putting us kids to bed at time. First came the banging as she pulled out the frying pan and lid, then silence as she poured the oil into the pan, then the pitter patter of the popcorn kernels being poured into the pan, then the clang of the lid being dropped on the pan, then the sound of the pan being slid back and forth across the electric burner, finally the sound of popping and the wafting smell of freshly popped popcorn. Oh my it was torture!

She did make popcorn for us girls at least once a week, but I think late late night popcorn was her reward for surviving another day of parenthood. :)

HavaDrPepper and keepscrappin like this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Is yours the Whirley Pop brand?

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  17. keepscrappin

oh the smell of freshly popped popcorn and not being able to have some would be TORTURE... my kids would claim child abuse if I did that! :giggle

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

Never heard of whirley pop brand... it must be good if you're asking!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We're a microwave popcorn family. I was just trying to match up @bestcee 's image with what I could find on Amazon. My son LOVES popcorn, and I think it might make a fun/cool gift for his birthday this year. :)

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  20. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I can’t remember the last time I had popcorn to be honest and I’m not sure why either.

keepscrappin and jesskab like this.