shoes & storage | Pad Patter 15.1.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jan 15, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So in a fish tank refilling accident earlier this week, water was leaking out the ensuite bathroom under the skirting board, under the vanity and into the walk in wardrobe and so carpet needed to be pulled up and the underlay dried etc, which meant getting a lot of stuff off the floor to access said carpet and underlay. Turns out cardboard shoe boxes on the floor aren't very water resistant (i know, everyone knows this but me, but in my defense, seeing it never rains in the wardrobe, i never thought much about it).
    Some of my shoes are in kind of stackable plastic drawers like these
    [​IMG]
    and i've now rather downsized my shoe collection (and we've cleaned out shoe drawers in the kids rooms as well - DD has a freestanding wardrobe with full length drawers built in that she is supposed to use for shoes - read: she just leaves them on the floor whereever she kicks them off).

So here's my question for the day:
    Are you a shoe hoarder or do you make do with just a few pairs to suit every occasion?
    And how do you store them because i might need a new system - have you got specialty wardrobe racks or boxes or you keep them in the box they came in more often than not like i was?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Before Christmas I did a huge clothes, shoes and accessories clean out and did a donation to our local thrift charity shop.

I’m fairly basic because my wardrobe is not the greatest (too small for starters, the hanging rail is in an awkward spot and poorly designed....think a man must have come up with this one....a single wardrobe in a double bedroom with the hanging rail attached to a shelf rather than further back and lower so arms of my clothes get caught in the door so often that my wardrobe door now stays open). Anyway back on topic....I pair any shoes together that have straps, use clothes pegs to peg some together like my boots or flat Mary Jane styles then the rest are loose. All of them are contained in a wicker laundry basket on the floor of my wardrobe....that way they are all contained in one place.

bellbird likes this.
  3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

My shoes that I wear everyday slide under my nightstand when I take them off. The rest of my shoes go in a little 12 opening cubby that sits on the floor in my closet.

bellbird likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My shoes are contained in this type of plastic container. Most of my shoes are flip flops (hey, I live in Florida and I'm actually barefoot most of the time indoors) and I don't have boots. The shoes are side by side like they would be in a shoe box or they are one on top of the other. I typically only have one layer of shoes in a drawer.

91GKYtkFc1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

bellbird likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Mine are sad, sad, sad. I have a metal shoe rack for mine, but a child stepped on it and it has a big bend in it. So off season shoes sit on it (or try to) and current season shoes sit on the floor. But let's be real - I almost only wear my walking shoes and they are right by the front door. I go barefoot inside.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have a lot of boots now and they take up space. I keep a pair of boots by the front door and a pair of slip-on clogs, too, for running outside. I don't have any carpet in the house, thankfully, so water leakage isn't a problem. I'm going to keep a few pairs on the floor of my closet and the rest on an upper rack. I have that closet organization system in my closet and I'm still trying to figure out where things are going to work best.

bellbird likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have my shoes in my large bottom drawer, there are three below my hanging space, undies and smalls, then T's or warm light tops and then the shoes and boots. I don't have too many pairs and most of them are black.

Donitab and bellbird like this.
  8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I really only wear my everyday athletic shoes, well, every day. :giggle They sit on the floor by my desk since that's where I put them on when I need to go out.

I have a tiered rack that sits on the floor of my closet to hold the other shoes, and there are a couple of pairs of boots that sit next to it. I really couldn't tell you how many shoes are down there since I have stuff piled in front of it and haven't even been able to see it years! LOL I think I only have a couple pair still in their original boxes - one pair of boots that are too floppy to stand up, and my wedding shoes which I've only kept because, you know, they are my wedding shoes. :P

Cleaning out my closet is near the top of my to do list (just need to find the time and energy - it's a huge mess!), and I'm sure a lot of the shoes that are down there will just go, so my current rack should be more than sufficient. :)

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

During spring, summer and fall when outside I live in tennis shoes so have multiple pairs. Some I can wear without socks, others I don't. During the winter I have 2 pair of boots (not snow boots) that I wear when I go somewhere. And, I have 2 pair of snow boots that live on the basement stairs right inside the back door.

I have gotten rid of a lot of shoes in the last few years but still have some in boxes in case I need them such as low heels to wear with dresses. Those reside on upper shelves in the closet.

The worn shoes are on the floor of the 2 closets in the bedroom. The few pairs of sandals that I have are in a Longaberger magazine basket on the floor of one of the closets. I will admit to having multiple pairs on tennis shoes still in boxes in the closet. I have a hard time finding the brand and size that I love so when I find a pair, I buy them even if I don't need them at the time!

I have to wear shoes even when in the house so my go to these days are Wal-Mart slip on shoes. I have several on a shelf because these are not always available in my size!

bellbird likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have shelves in the laundry room for shoes, and I put MINE on the shelves all the time, but the most often worn shoes of my family members tend to congregate on the floor in front of the washer and dryer. Granted, it's a very small room, just wide enough for the washer and dryer, and the shelves are behind the door, so it is a slight challenge to reach the shelves. :rolleyes:

bellbird likes this.
  11. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

We have a repurposed little bookshelf by the front door where we put our shoes. If they're wet, they dry on the rug, then they get placed on one of the shelves. Sometimes, the kids will take a pair of their shoes/boots to their bedroom, which is fine. What is not fine is when my husband takes his shoes off and leaves them in the middle of the living room floor. Why? I have no idea.

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  12. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

A993E092-1031-4277-A5A8-ABE9F17D54F3.jpeg I use one of these, mostly for out of season and dress shoes. I can shut the closet door and mess managed (catch that reference to HP?) My in-season shoes go under my dresser because it is so handy to slip them off and kick them under. I keep a pair of flip flops by the front door and use them even in the winter if I have to run outside quickly. My two pair of dress boots go in cubbies in my closet.

bellbird likes this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I’ve got two shoe racks that almost reach the ceiling and about 1/2 of one wall in our spare room which has become my closet, that hold most of my shoes/boots/runners and a basket in the closet that holds my sandals and slippers. I have another basket that holds extra runners/flats but a lot of those are going to get tossed soon when I get around to purging. Some of them I never wear anymore so no sense keeping them. I love that I have my shoes organized now so its easy to find what I want. The racks were cheap too, off Craigs List. Love when we find great deals.

14. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Walking shoes, and indoor shoes, next to the front door. ( Tonys too) both of us also have our shoes in shoeboxes in our respective night stands ... its small , takes 6 boxes and a pair on top.... Its enough though.

15. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I used to be a shoe hoarder but I have downsized my shoe collection. But are far as shoe storage goes that's the last thing I need to figure out in my bedroom. At the moment I have a box on top of my wardrobe with all my winter boots in, flats dolly shoes stuffed in bottom of wardrobe and then all my heels have been thrown in a suitcase under the bed. The heels did live in a tidy shoe rack but this has been pinched by my son to house his growing collections of trainers and boots. We are in lockdown here in the UK at the moment so I am working from home, so unless I am going food shopping the only footwear I am wearing is slippers lol.

Sorting out my shoe storage is definitely on my to do list of jobs for the house though, I just need to find the space.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't really think I'm a shoe hoarder, but I still have way too many pairs of shoes. I wear several pairs and then of course there are boots for snow, for hiking for dress up, for cute sorta dress up. Sigh. Too many options for the different kind of outfits. I don't wear many of that at all. But I bought them, so I must KEEP them. :eyeroll

We have a couple wooden shoe holders with square "slots" for each shoe, but they take up a lot of space and waste a lot of space, so I don't love them. But it beats the shoe basket where everything is just throw together and you can't actually find two matching shoes. :giggle

17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is what I use. I have my running shoes, a couple of pairs of sandals and a couple of pairs of boots. Each season I have my running shoes and then one other pair of shoes that I wear consistently.
    3bf08e8c-5ca8-4a50-a747-7866d2f7944f_1.dbed2fa44cd7f7eef5efbf8fc254fbf8.jpeg