Creative | Jan 14 2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 14, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you consider yourself a creative person?
    Have you always considered yourself creative?

I was talking about creativity with my class this week. And I wondered what you think.

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Definitely. I've been creative forever, in some way. Creativity takes so many different forms and we're not all creative in the same way.

michelepixels and bestcee like this.
  3. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I do not consider myself creative. That does not mean that I am not creative, only that I don't consider myself one.

Creativity seems to me to be relative to the people that you are with, and while I am more creative than a few people I know, I am not as creative as most of them.

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I believe EVERYONE is creative. There are countless ways of being creative.

Many people only associate creativity with art though, so they say they're not because they don't paint/draw/sing/whatever.

I think of creativity in a more literal sense. I've created many, many things including 3 people (my kids, and no I don't claim entire credit for them!), a new organizing system at my old job, and meals in the kitchen. Everyone here at TLP is being creative every time they make a scrapbook page because it's something that didn't exist before.

Of course there are degrees of creativity. I have been a lot more creative in my parenting than I was when I created that new organizing system I mentioned previously, for example. And if you just mindless toss a bunch of elements on a page that's less creative (though still creative!) than following design principles and putting elements together uniquely.

Just like anything, it's complicated and it's a scale. Not black or white but shades of gray.

EHStudios and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. bestcee

This! This is what I shared because so many people were talking about how they aren't creative.

If you find a new way to organize? That's creative.
    If you find a new way to keep accounting books? That's creative. Although maybe not in a good way? :hummm:hehe

Donitab and michelepixels like this.
  6. bestcee

I love this thought!

michelepixels likes this.
  7. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I think I am more creative in my way of thinking than in any sort of artistic or "tangible" way.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have never considered myself creative in an artsy way, or like being able to come up with creative titles or designs. I am far too left-brained for that.
    But, I do consider myself creative in other ways. I feel like I am really good at coming up with creative ways to do things, like teach a lesson at school. Having students who don't learn like most people do, it's part of my daily life. Also, finding creative solutions to problems or creative ways to overcome obstacles. I'm pretty good at that as well. So, I guess I'm more of a creative problem solver than an artsy creative.

Donitab and elseepe like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I can relate to this. Yes, I create things and have done many different types of crafts over the years but I would say I've more creative in things I've done over the years as far as work goes. Being told that you can't do something a certain way kicks my brain into gear and proving that you can. I'm all for creatively finding ways to make things simpler.

10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

My sentiments exactly. :heartslub

11. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I definitely consider myself creative, and always have.
    I'm an artsy type of gal, always have been, I loved art as a child, I had a vivid imagination and played make-believe and drew, colored, painted. I took all the art classes including woodworking and pottery. I played instruments and sang in choir.

But I'm also very ingenious and creative when it comes to critical thinking and finding new ways to do things.
    So yes, I am creative!

12. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Yes, but not so much in an artsy way. I'm more of a creative problem solver. What do I need and what do I have and how might I make that work. I also like to do this with dinner -- what do I have on hand, what can I make out of that. I guess this is the engineer speaking.

13. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

absolutely not. I'm very factual and by the rules. Even at work I'm by the books - no grey space. I don't think I'm creative at all. It's a challenge for me to "think creatively" when asked to.

14. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

This really resonates with me, since I'm also quite left-brained myself. In an artsy or artistic way? No, I don't consider myself the least bit creative at all. But when it comes to ideas, and making connections between seemingly random or disparate facts, I like to think that I'm a little bit creative...

elseepe and IntenseMagic like this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Do you consider yourself a creative person? Yes

Have you always considered yourself creative? Yes

As far back as I can remember, I have created. My mom is a creative who is also artistic so there was an environment of learning and experimenting to make things. There were skills that my mom taught me, and others that I've learned on my own. I'm continually creating SOMETHING. Some creations are better than others, but I just feel compelled to create. My dad would disagree that he is also creative, but he is. He built four houses without having any experience or training. He is a gardener and shapes bonsai.

Most of my creations are scrapbooking pages, but I also love to draw and paint. I cross stitch and even though I'm following a pattern that I have to count out and then sew, I still consider that creating because I have an end product that didn't exist until I made it.

I know that my creativity has saved me in many ways. Dealing with chronic pain and a variety of health issues, my creativity has allowed me to feel fulfilled when I might otherwise feel mostly useless and depressed.

16. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Yes, until I look in the gallery and then I feel really uncreative-lol-but I love being with a group of such talent because of the ideas and it brings your own creativity up.

17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I used to say I was only creative within boundaries or rules. Like cross-stitch and sewing (follow a pattern). Even my scrapping is based on templates. Then I started doing art journaling (digital) and now I love a good mess. I even started free-form art journaling on paper (but I have not dabbled in paint or gesso yet - still stickers, washi, and stamps).

But compared to others, no.

18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Both @mrs2a50 and @IntenseMagic summed me up well too. I don’t consider myself arty or creative in an art way but boy am I a creative thinker and will challenge boundaries. I clearly remember during my 2nd year of my human services degree, we had to do an assignment about leadership in human services (either youth work or disability studies depending on which major you were doing).I immediately as a person wanting to work in the disability field, went right I want to do my essay on disabled people in leadership roles within disability support organisations....it was so left field that I thought it would never get approved but it did. I ended up thinking so creatively during that assignment because of next to no literature on the subject especially in New Zealand. I ended up interviewing leaders in the field who were disabled from two different organisations which then gave me a whole host of ideas that then lead me to overseas academic literature. It was one of my favourite assignments and the following year I wrote a blog post as part of an internship I did at a local service provider https://inclusiveactioneverydaylives.wordpress.com/2015/03/22/leading-the-way/#more-1065

mrs2a50, Donitab and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Agree 100%

This is so me when it comes to artistic creativity

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

littlekiwi likes this.