January 16 - Using Doodle Art

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by bellbird, Jan 16, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Since I was in school, if I had a pen in hand and paper in front of me, I'd be drawing vines and flowers and filling my margins in between taking notes (or instead of, in some cases!). I know my daughter does the same because it's more obvious, she seems to draw more on her arm and hand but being creative in any way is a potent mood lifter! She also started making digital mandalas earlier this year, they are circular geometric patterns and seeing those mandalas of hers, as well as our own Cynthia's (MrsPeel's) gallery layouts, featuring her own crazy good drawings and doodled art this year have inspired today's challenge!

If you aspire to greatness with your doodling like me but haven't got the skill of Cynthia or the patience to make intricate mandalas, then Valeria of Little Butterfly Wings has got you covered!
    She has generously supplied this amazing freebie that you will use specifically for this challenge & get to add to your stash! It includes 2 mandalas & 8 other fantastic pieces of doodle art, all as separate PNG files.
    Thanks Valeria! Click the freebie image or here to be taken to the store & add it to your cart for checkout to download them.
    lbw_ohfun_pv.jpg

The purpose of today's challenge is to incorporate multiple doodles on a page so your challenge is specifically to:
    • Use at least 4 of the doodles in this pack on a page. You can use the doodles as they are provided, or feel free to recolour them, resize them or duplicate them. You can also incorporate doodles you have created yourself or other doodles but 4 or more different doodles from the freebie pack must be recognisable on your page.
    • You must have a background paper of your choice. It can be patterned if you wish but the doodles should be visible. You can add paint or anything under the doodle layers (above the background paper) but it is not required.
    • You must add another element on top of (on a layer above) at least one of the doodles to personalise it & incorporate it into your page. This element can not be another doodle. Make sure you allow enough of the doodle to show however so that at least 4 of the original doodles that you are counting from the Little Butterfly Wings freebie pack are clearly identifiable (for example, you can't cover a whole mandala doodle with a giant flower, hiding 99% of it and claim to have used it).
    • You may use a template; you may include photos or do a photoless page.

As examples, I've made two different pages using the Little Butterfly Wings doodles.
    From the red numbers on my pages below, you can see where I have used at least 4 different doodles and where I have repeated some of them.
    For the second requirement of adding an element over at least one of the doodles, I've done this in several ways: I added clouds to the moon (marked with the red 3); added a flower over the doodled girls hair (marked as number 4); added the string with silver beads to the mandala (number 5), and added the yellow pompom trim bridging the doodles marked 1 and 2 used at the top of the page. The doodles really are a feature and base for other scrapbooking elements in a more traditional paper-scrapping style of page here.

doodle-unfinished2-numbered-600px.jpg
    Little Butterfly Wings | Oh Fun! doodles & Mandalas pack
    Becca Bonneville & Studio Basic | Dream Emporium kit
    free spirit polaroid frame from Amber LaBau | Passionately (retired)

In this second page, I've recoloured some of the freebie doodles to look more like I drew them with a blue pen in the 'notebook' & applied a rainbow gradient to the mandala and given it a die-cut look. I've simply added fasteners (a fabric button to the top flower marked 4, and stitching/messy thread to the mandala, marked 5) which are also a practical way to personalise some of the doodles on this page.

LBW-doodles-numbered-SwL_MyTravelJournalTemp3-600px.jpg
    Scrapping With Liz | My Travel Journal templates
    Little Butterfly Wings | Oh Fun! doodles & Mandalas pack; Count the Stars elements, journal cards, papers; You're Unique kit; Like Really papers

Carol (Iowan) has made a really creative photoless page using lots of the doodles, adding paper flowers, gems & a butterfly over parts of them!
    January-16---Using-doodle-art-carol600px.jpg

To recap:
    * You must use at least 4 of the doodles in this pack on a page
    * You must use a background paper of your choice.
    * You must add another non-doodle element on top of (on a layer above) at least one of the doodles to personalise it & incorporate it into your page

I hope you have as much fun with this challenge as I did & I'm looking forward to seeing your doodle art pages in the gallery!

General Requirements:
    In addition to the individual rules for this challenge, please follow our overall guidelines:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

angels, KarenB, Angela Toucan and 2 others like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    G.J. likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

what wonderfully creative examples

bellbird likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

OMG, these are amazing, thank you so much Valeria and this will be a fun challenge. Here is mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  5. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I am in love with this! Awesome challenge!

bellbird likes this.
  6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Justine, this challenge is just fabulous and thanks Val for the doodles.

[​IMG]

Karen, Thuria, Ga_L and 7 others like this.
  7. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

I decided to go photoless and just play around with the doodles. It was a lot of fun. Thank you for hosting the challenge and thank you to Valeria for the fun doodles.

[​IMG]

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    It's either not my day, or not my challenge.
    I am loving the examples though and those already done in the gallery.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm glad you put something together anyway though :)

StefanieS and KAPOH like this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou for this challenge as I was able to scrap another one of my macro photos. This creature is fairly small.

[​IMG]

11. Isa Marks

Isa Marks Pollywog

12. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the freebie and challenge

[​IMG]

angels and Electra like this.
  13. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I used the flower, corner doodle, dots and the vine of leaves.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, angels, threadjungle and 3 others like this.
  14. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thank you Valeria for these beautiful doodles! I am doodle-challenged!
    [​IMG]

15. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

Thanks for this fun challenge and thanks to Val for the fantastic freebie.
    [​IMG]

16. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

Mine
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the freebie and for this creative challenge

17. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

Thanks for this nice doodles :-) a challenge outside the box for me but love it!

[​IMG]

Ga_L, CarolynJoyce77, LynnG and 5 others like this.
  18. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I am guessing it's ok to scrap a page in A4 format @bellbird ????

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yes absolutely fine!

Ga_L and cinna like this.
  20. wendy85

wendy85 Doin' a little chair dance here at my desk

this was so much fun..
    1. i made a patterned background with the dots
    2. the flower
    3. the moon
    4. the mandala

[​IMG]