Stay there or move it?|pad patter Jan 13,2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Jan 13, 2021.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love to move my furniture around. honestly, I love to change out rooms!

my bestie in real life-she will buy new furniture and it goes in same spot old piece was at?

I’m itching to do my bedroom so badly! But I can’t move bed by myself! oh just got idea, my teen son can help!!

What about you? does your furniture get rearranged often? or once you settle it in, there it happily stays?

do you swap out rooms?

IntenseMagic and keepscrappin like this.
  2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

We used to rearrange once in a while, but things have sort of settled into place. We have so many big pieces of furniture that there's really only one way they work. Smaller pieces like bookcases or storage cabinets do get shifted around if there's a need to make space (like for the Christmas tree), and sometimes they end up in a slightly different arrangement after. There's a bit more flexibility to the kids' bedrooms, but they have no interest in changing anything.

DH's office/magic room (what is technically supposed to be the formal living/dining) is bursting at the seams, so we decided to convert the guest room to a library for him. It's currently in the process of having the flooring replaced, and we will be able to start shifting some of the furniture into it this weekend! Hopefully it will help open up his magic room and give it less of a claustrophobic hoarder vibe. :giggle

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We don't move stuff often, but we were forced to move furniture this weekend. Full-time internet schooling for 3 with live classes meant the need for another desk in the "school room". We cleared space, and moved a book case and the reading sofa-bed about. Joy's puppets got relocated to her room instead of in the corner of the school room.
    Next my computer desk and chair moved up into that spot. I've still got some things that were on/in that desk that don't have a new place to go yet. Still thinking ...

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

nope no rearrangements at all unless we get a new piece and out goes one and in goes the other. Other than bringing home some of the furniture from Dad's in 2012, all of our furniture has been in the same place since we moved in. I am a creature of habit.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

When I lived on my own in apartments and was much younger, I would move furniture around.

But in this house. Not so much. And, I'm older and moving furniture isn't as easy as it was all those years ago.

Bedroom furniture is in the same spot it was put in when my parents built this house and used that room. I've added smaller pieces but the 2 dressers and the bed have always stayed there even after painting or flooring changes. Honestly the best layout for the room.

Living room has changed a couple of times over the 50 years in this house but I've had the same furniture placement for about 15 years. The dogs have all loved having the couch in front of the picture window.

My office is the one room that has changed over the years. It was originally my childhood bedroom. Then in the 90's it became my room to watch TV then a computer was added and I moved to the guest room as my bedroom (that room has not changed either as far as layout). I used to move the TV and computer around but the loveseat always stayed in the same place. I finally settled on a setup that works for me. Even after getting rid of the old desk and getting a new one I kept things in the same places.

I'm happy with the way things are. I might have changed furniture over the years such as getting rid of an entertainment center and replacing it with something else so I could have a larger than 23" TV, but the general layout stays the same.

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When I was a kid I rearranged my bedroom VERY often. Sometimes a few weekends in a row. I loved organizing my stuff. And I drew maps of my room in my diary. I should make a scrapbook page with photos of those.

However, in our apartment in the 1990's and this house we've lived in since 2000, we've rearranged things very little. There just aren't a lot of ways for the furniture to go. In the last decade the only stuff that has moved is that I've rotated my desk 90 degrees and we repurposed one of our rooms from t.v. room to my husband's office. And some Xmases I push the big chair in the family room over to the other corner to make room for the tree (other years we put the tree in the front room, requiring no furniture-moving).

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh, I used to "play house" quite a bit when I was younger. Now, I have to wait for someone else to move things for me, so big pieces of furniture stay in the same spot. I do move things around on the walls and I also move/change out collectibles and knick-knacks. We're likely going to be moving things in the den/computer room this year. I'm waiting for hubby to be inspired. LOL

8. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Not too much, we have changed purposes for some of the rooms over these last 24 years as we lost my mom and my daughter grew up and moved out to start her own family. But there aren't that many options for ways that our furniture will work they it pretty much stays the same. Hopefully, this year we will be making some changes and moving all of it either out or to a smaller home for us.

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I used to move my furniture around a lot. Now, not so much. Most of our stuff is quite large and heavy, so like others, I have to wait for somebody to help me.

10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've moved furniture around so much, especially kids' rooms, that I bought a set of furniture mover slider pads. I got them at Wal-mart or the home improvement store.
    [​IMG]
    They have felt pads for hard floors and plastic pads for carpet. I've moved my queen bed and dressers and couches by myself with them. I just had to drop the pad on the floor and use my foot to slide it under the leg while lifting the corner. I've helped neighbor gals move their rooms around with them too... my pads have gotten lots of use here at my house and throughout the neighborhood :agree

cookingmylife and Memaw2Wm like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, those work great as well.... as long as you have the strength to lift the item to get them under it!

When I got new dining room furniture, I put the sticky pads on the bottom when it was delivered. Delivery guys were great about helping me do it. Also put those on the 2 new chairs as well. Those work for me since all my floors are laminate. No carpet at all in my house. I also put those on the bottom of my desk when my cousin put it together for me. So I could scoot those items if I wanted. I just don't want to :)

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love to move furniture around and try to every chance I get. My problem is that there are only so many ways I can do it in this house. I do move smaller things pretty often.

13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

The main areas of our house stay the same, but we do switch around the kids rooms some. In fact, we just switched out and rearranged the older girls rooms. I do like moving things around...sometimes I feel like it's the only time things get cleaned out really good.

I remember growing up that we switched things around ALL the time!

14. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

My house is small and my furniture is very large and heavy, so I never rearrange it. My furniture also lasts *forever*, so I never even get to replace it! (I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. LOL)

15. HavaDrPepper

Good furniture that last a long time is IMO a good thing. My living room furniture and bedroom suits were purchased by my parents in 1964. Still in very good shape and very, very sturdy. It may look out of date since the style is no longer around but it is functional so why spend money on something that may not last 5 years!

rach3975 and Memaw2Wm like this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have changed furniture over the years but basically everything goes in the same spot b/c it works for us, it’s functional. The big screen is viewable from every seat in the LR and I can watch from the kitchen as I cook. The bedrooms are small so not much gets changed there. I have changed my office and family room a lot over the years but since we’ll be selling this in the next 2-3 yrs, I won’t be rearranging anything, buying anything new, just purging and storing things.

17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

The last time there were major changes in furniture placement was in 2014 when we renovated 2/3 of our house. New furniture was bought which necessitated other pieces moving to other rooms. Since then, there's only occasional movement like when I swapped tables in my office/scrap room.

18. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

We will re-arrange things every now and then. I found out my 6-year old hates when I do that...lol! I took our sectional apart in the family room so it could be 2 separate sofas and give them more room to move around. I also had an idea to get another Kinect for the Xbox. And my son was just like "mommy, I don't like it. You've messed up my favorite room."

Karen likes this.
  19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

When I was first married, in my 20s, and we had few belongings/furniture, I'd move the furniture around just about weekly as I vacuumed, esp. in the living room. It was a joke with my friends about never knowing where the couch was going to be.

31 years ago I moved to my current house (small) from a larger house and the furniture has pretty much stayed put. A couple of years ago I replaced my worn out couch and chair with a "new to me" couch and two chairs which required me to switch the location of the couch.

20. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Nope - don’t ever rearrange, but suddenly after reading this I want to - I hope the urge passes quickly

Karen likes this.