Why do you MOC?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by mrs2a50, Jan 2, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

The first year I participated which was MOC2 (I was chicken the first year), I would have to say the GC was my driving force. I had very few TLP kits, but needed more! The next year it was probably the combo of the GC and I really just wanted a guest Polly spot :) I've finished every one except the first...3 as a community member and this is my 5th as a Polly. I do it for the challenge, to get pushed out of my comfort zone, to stretch my skills and creativity, and I absolutely love the inspiration and wonderful sense of community during this time!
    And it keeps me busy, happy, and occupied during what used to be just a cold dark month!!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have done it, and completed it every year,since I have been here,so that makes it 8 .... I think. For me it is,all about the challenge it self. And the first few years especially, -but still a bit- , getting to know everyone.
    And the help everyone gives everyone else,that is the main part. Also every single year,I have learned something new, be it digital software stuff,composition stuff,or the strength there can be in a scrapbook page. Something to look forward to.

3. extase

extase Well-Known Member

I got into Moc, invited to a motivational group by French scrappers whom I knew in particular via Facebook. The Moc7 I quickly stopped, I finished last year (but not qualified) and this year it is with pleasure that I am back.
    It's an opportunity to scrape, which I rarely do for fun (I design let's say that it takes time in addition to a full-time job).
    But I admit that it's a real breath of fresh air at the start of the year. Without forgetting that there are designers whose kits I really appreciate here so the constraint in terms of creation also becomes a pleasure.
    and for sure i like challenge, I CAN DO IT

A-M likes this.
  4. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I enjoy the creative challenge...putting the creative thinking cap on. Some challenges are right up my scrapping style lane. Some are truly a “challenge.” I like the growth that occurs through the process.

5. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

This is my first. I’m doing it first because it’s a challenge and I’m always pushing myself to be better. To use concepts outside my current repertoire/comfort zone and to even use designs that aren’t my first choice to increase my versatility. Secondary reasons: I’d love to be a Polly and who doesn’t love a gift certificate!

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I think this is my fourth MOC. Every year I think that MOC is going to help me create a Project Life habit that I can keep up with through the year. Instead...I do create a lot of pages but don't get too far past January for PL, ha! I LOVE the challenges that help me learn how to use my software better. I also love challenges where I can interpret my One Little Word for the year in some creative way. MOC brings a bright spot to an otherwise dreary month around here. I enjoy the delight in doing something that is just for the fun of it! And I LOVE the $20 GC! :)

7. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

MOC3 (2015) was first year. I don't know what possessed me to even attempt it, I didn't think there was any way I could actually scrap 31 pages in 31 days . . . but I did. The community was awesome, everyone providing encouragement -- you can do it. I remember that incredible sense of accomplishment of doing something I was sure didn't fit in my free time.

And since learning it was possible, I've done it every year since. I love the inspiration (or at least most of it, not all challenges speak to me every year, but I've learned to just go with it). I admit to being tempted by a potential polly spot, and some years that would have been really tough had I been so lucky, but as a new retiree and grandma, now that would be fantastic! But I will complete it anyway for the challenge of completing 31 layouts in 31 days, for doing styles and techniques that might be out of my comfort zone, and for the community interaction.

8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

fun, and inspiration, and challenges tend to be the main help in me getting pages done.
    For me MOC also tends to be a learning experience I've discovered new techniques and scrapbooking styles in past MOCs. When I've tried a new style and later found I've incorporated it into mine is a great bonus.

9. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I do it for the motivation and accountability, although that doesn't seem to be enough to get me through all of the challenges. I know that when I'm in a scrapbooking slump, just doing pages (of any type and quality) is enough to get me started for a while. The daily challenges help get me started and I can usually get along on my own after the first few challenges, but I keep going because the more I do, the longer the momentum lasts.

(I haven't started yet; but I've been on my computer more in the last three days than I was for all of December, so I'm getting closer.)

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I MOC because post-Christmas through mid-March or early April is really hard for me: it's cold and usually the time we get the bulk of our snow for the year, there are no big fun holidays, and it's mid-school year with lots of assignments and little motivation. It keeps me distracted from the grey and cold outside my door and inside my heart.

11. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

The GC is probably what drew me in initially, but the feeling of accomplishment and learning new techniques keeps me coming back!

12. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Getting 31 pages done in a month makes a nice dent in my "To be scrapped" folder and starts my year off on the right foot. The gift card isn't my primary motivation, but it gives me that extra push to actually finish all of the challenges.

13. Meg

Meg There's no place like home

For me, it is a motivation to scrap because I don't scrap a lot since 2 years. I love to try challenges to go out of my comfort zone. I discover also no technics I didn't know. I hope this year I will finish a complete month. Since I began MOC in 2015, I only finished it in 2015 and 2018.

14. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

For me I think it's a couple things.

1. I love challenges. Sometimes that's the prompt that I need to get me scrapping on a particular day. Which then keeps my momentum going to do 2 or 3 more before I shut the computer down.

2. I love all the different ways that others do things so I'm challenged when I see others takes on the same thing I just did. It helps me see things outside of my box.

3. I like to get the pages done and doing it in January is a great way of starting the year. I'm usually about 40-50 pages done with my goal by the time Jan is done because I've done a few extras each day.

4. Yes, I like the $20 but it's not what motivates me. Honestly, I'd do it even if it wasn't there at the end.

15. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

This is my first MOC and I'm already 5 days behind LOL! (But that will get caught up quickly this week I hope).
    I love challenges that stretch me and this will definitely stretch me to try different scrap styles etc.

16. meagan43

meagan43 Um, did you know that you're wrong?

I used the challenges to complete an album or at least 31 pages in that album. It gives me the push that I need to get the pages done and not back-burner them. For that reason, some challenges are hard if they don't work towards that album (ie photo challenges, Who I Am challenges, Mood Boards, etc). Many times, I am able to work it towards my album, but it takes some swift thinking. This year, I am trying to finish my Disneyland trip album from June 2012 (the Grand Opening of Cars Land).
    Don't get me wrong, I like the gift certificate, too and the inspiration is great, but I am in it for the completed album.

17. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Last year was my first MOC. I had wanted to participate in 2018 and 2019, but then felt too shy/diffident.

So what made me decide to take the plunge in 2020? I guess it’s that there’s just such so much MOC energy and buzz at this site in January, and I didn’t want to once again feel left out, like a spectator sitting on the sidelines. I definitely had no idea what I was signing up for, was not at all prepared, and did not complete MOC 2020. However, I did do 27 layouts in 31 days, an all-time record for me. And I learned a lot – the technical challenges, which were certainly not my favourites at the time, were especially useful, and gave me more confidence in my ability to acquire new skills.

I’m really hoping to complete MOC 2021 (and so far, I’m 5 for 5, so: off to a promising start, fingers crossed!). The $20 GC would be great; but for me, it’s primarily about participating in something special and unique, and feeling like a member of the TLP community.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  18. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I love the variety of the challenges. I love seeing if I can keep current for the whole 31 days. Fun all around!!

melidy likes this.
  19. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

I admit, it was the GC. It still is to an extent but now that I've done a few (I can't remember how many), I love the challenge. I've always finished because I am stubborn that way - even when I started two weeks behind. I think one year, I had to do 8 pages on the last day and for me that was A LOT!! But I did it. I love that. I'm also a completionist so now I feel like I have to do it and have to finish it...really there is no option LOL! But, I still love so many of the pages I've done - some that surprised me because I didn't think I could ever make a page I loved with THAT challenge. I also love that it gets me scrapping - sometimes January is the most I get done all year but at least I have made some progress. It really is one of my favourite times of year - now off to start because I'm a week behind - but I will finish!

20. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

I love that it makes me focus on completing pages. So when I open the laptop I don't get distracted by admin or work. I have a task to complete so I can solely focus on the challenge in hand. I need that time mentally but I'm terrible at taking time for myself when there is other stuff to be done, but (right now especially) my to do list could be a mile long and as soon as I tick one thing off five things would jump in its place. MOC helps me take the time to focus on that me time and put the to do list down for an hour a day.

I also love that it takes me out of my box. I really try to throw myself into the challenges for the large part - especially ones that are out of my "usual" scrap style. Rather than try and make challenges suit my pages and style I really try to push myself and do something to suit the challenges. Most of the time those pages end up being my favourites, so I love the way it challenges me.

The $20 GC and 31 pages scrapped sure ain't bad either though :giggle