Signatures...the how and why

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rrred68, Jan 7, 2021.

1. rrred68

rrred68 Well-Known Member

I really admire the variety of signatures TLP members have. And I want to make one for myself, but I get overwhelmed (instead of underwhelmed) when I think about doing it. What was your thought process when you started out to create your signature?

cfile likes this.
  2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Templates can be a fun way to start:
    [​IMG]

Or you could find an alpha you really like and play around with paint splatters etc for behind the lettering of your name.

cfile likes this.
  3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Here's set where mine came from:
    [​IMG]
    here are more:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

elseepe likes this.
  4. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

A-M likes this.
  5. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I like that it's a great place for people to see your real name & show a bit of personality. Alphas are definitely a great starting point!

rrred68 likes this.
  6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hi! There is a forum thread here about signatures: Creating, Linking and Updating Signatures

You may only need the very top info about size requirements.

I say, have fun! Find an alpha or font you like then create away. You can change your signature as often as you like...so no worries if your first ones does not come out as well as you may like. Some change their signature with the changing seasons...thats always fun!

Lisa B and keepscrappin like this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to start with an alpha but sometimes I take a cluster from a layout and add my name and some paint and play until I like it. There’s usually a signature challenge during iNSD and DSD. I think that’s when I changed mine last. I’m thinking I might change it again during MOC but we’ll see if I get around to it. :agree

Lisa B likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My name is longer, so I always start with it. Then, I add some elements around it depending on how I'm feeling. It's definitely time for an update for me!

Lisa B and rrred68 like this.
  9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I seem to follow a basic format: I choose one kit, have a sprinkle or paint splash (or two), an odd number of elements usually 3 or 5, and alpha or font. I've got a short name so it can be hard to configure it with some fonts. If I get stuck I use a Scrapping With Liz template for inspiration. Sometimes they go together fast; if they don't I trash it and start all over with a different kit.

There are a lot of clever signatures that people have made. Sometimes I just like to scroll the forums just looking at them!

Lisa B, keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm sure my thought process has varied over the decade+ that I've been hanging out in digiscrap forums, but I think I usually start with my name, using either an alpha or font. If I use a font, then I choose a paper to clip to it. Then I choose some embellishments I feel like using. My siggy is 4 years old but it's my favorite one I've ever made. I change it for the TLP events like the Halloween Bash and National Scrapbooking Day, but I keep changing it back. And I don't even care that it's holiday themed; I've used it continuously for years now. :D

HeatherB, Lisa B and bestcee like this.
  11. rrred68

rrred68 Well-Known Member

@michelepixels - love your siggy!
    @QuiltyMom - great advice!
    @bestcee - I've attempted that process and it just looked awful
    @keepscrappin - see above...
    @ArmyGrl - I must not be very good at navigating the forum or I would have found that one - Thanks!
    @EHStudios - see above, above...
    @sakura-panda - THAT would be a neat thing to participate in.
    @A-M - Thanks for the links! I will definitely check them out. I really want a siggy before MOC 9 is over.

Thank you to ALL of you amazing ladies!! It's members like you that keep me coming back to TLP. :bk

KimJ, QuiltyMom and michelepixels like this.
  12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Don't be too worry about it, play with it! I must say I might use one of those templates for mine. I do struggle making mine.

Lisa B and rrred68 like this.
  13. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I like to have a cat in mine, a touch of paint and try to keep it small. It isn’t always easy and often I end up resizing after I get it updated. I don’t don’t update mine very often

Lisa B likes this.
  14. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

I was overwhelmed too, and it still is a little daunting with that blank screen. :-) But, I like to swap mine with the seasons and usually use a new kit. I usually pick a favorite element I want to include and start building around that. I'm due for a new one but have been too busy to participate much in the past few months. My current one was simple but fun so it stays for now. :giggle

15. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Mine was made for me by a Lilypad designer who retired a few years back. I swap out bits of it, depending on the season, but I mainly keep the same structure. Currently it is decorated with Wishi Washi by Valorie Wibbens.

16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I start with the font with my name and add stuff after.. mine has been around for a while but I like it. I have in the past used templates that were created by SWL and others as depicted above. Here I just did it like I would make a page :)

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I made my first siggies at other places so people would know my real name. Obviously that's not really needed here since there's no mystery with my username here. :giggle I used to be MUCH better at making new ones as my creative teams changed or as the season's changed, but I haven't changed my current one in years. Lol!

Tronesia likes this.
  18. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Here's my new one! I had fun playing around with the Just Plane Fun kit by ForeverJoy Designs.

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Here's my new one, Anne-Marie started a thread for us to create a new siggy if we wanted to. Mine is strictly for MOC, so I'll be making another one after it ends. I used 3 of my MOC layouts on this one. Here's the link: FANCY SIGGY FOR MOC | The Lilypad (the-lilypad.com)

MOC9-Siggy-2.jpg

20. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I start by playing with fonts and the size, once I get to where I like it I then start pulling other things in. I will admit I have to be in the mood to do it and don't change them out often. :)