Is there an element you never use?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 4, 2021.

1. familybees

familybees Member

Fun question! I'm the same with paperclips and other elements that require a lot of work to shadow. I can't say I "never" use them, but rarely. I typically don't use word art. I also don't use theme-specific elements very often. Most of the time, I'm choosing a kit based on colors and patterns, and the "theme" doesn't make much difference to me. I love it when designers include a lot of generic elements (buttons, brads, flowers, scatters, paint, ribbons, blank tags, etc.). Oh, I also very rarely use alphas. I love using styles to turn fonts into alphas instead. :)

bellbird likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

unstitched buttons. LOL!!!

cfile and bellbird like this.
  3. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I struggle with elements that have a lot of dimension - like really full flowers, fabric coils, acordian folded circle flowers, etc. (btw I'm making up these names, hopefully you know what I mean) Apparently I like flat things - easier to shadow. :giggle

Amson, bellbird and jk703 like this.
  4. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I don’t mind them, but I rarely use journal cards. I scrap at 8.5 x 11 so I usually don’t have much extra space. I do admire those who can add them though!

bellbird likes this.
  5. amandaresende

amandaresende amandaresende

I struggle with realistic flowers, many flowers, flowers!!!!!!!!!!! I love flowers but I don't know why is hard to me play with them! today's challenge is a REAL challenge to me.

bellbird likes this.
  6. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Same here. I love paper clips and binder clips, but almost never use them because I don't know how to do realistic shadows for them. I also struggle with 'combined elements' (e.g., a tag with string already attached) because they're so much work to shadow (I want the string part to have one kind of shadow, and the tag part to have another sort of shadow; and it's too time-consuming to figure that out...).

I love straight ribbons and straight stitching, and struggle to use anything that strikes me as too "messy" or "loopy" or "scribbly." I love buttons, whether threaded or unthreaded; and also staples; but almost never use any kind of metal fastener that looks too "heavy."

bellbird likes this.
  7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is a fun thread. I love buttons! LOL.

I'm not sure if there's an element I never use. I do struggle with ribbons (the thick kind). I guess maybe it's a shadow thing or maybe it's just because I wouldn't use it on a regular scrapbook page...but I wouldn't use buttons on a regular scrapbook page and I love them on a digi page. LOL!

bellbird likes this.
  8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I struggle with thread and ribbon especially if it's twisty and 3D. I rarely use paper clips and other attachments except for staples.

bellbird likes this.
  9. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Alphabets! They just seem so time consuming and fussy compared to a font with a style applied.

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This is me too, right down to the staples!
    The last element I was stumped by were tassels & then once I figured it out after challenging myself to actually use one on a page, I went on a kick of using one on every page because they became a fave element!

cfile likes this.
  11. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

The only element I don't use are banners. I see them on others layouts and love the way they are used but for some reason, they don't work on my pages.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm not fan of alphas. I rarely use them unless they're part of a designer's kit and then I use them only to show them on a page.

keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree.. I can say I do not use tassels LOL

bellbird likes this.
  14. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I struggle to use thick frames....actually, most frames other than the basic white stroke. They seem to sort of overwhelm any photo that is placed inside them.
    And alphas are another one. As people have said, it's so much easier to apply a style to a font. All that lining up of individual letters is so fiddly! Some stamped alphas are nice and can create an effect that's harder to achieve with a font. But for the most part, I don't really open up my alpha files.
    This would make a good challenge: name your least favorite element and then make a page using that element!

15. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I know there is, but I have to think about it. I can't remember what they are because I don't use them. lol!

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

For me, it is bottlecaps. I think they would "tear" the paper in real life, so I don't usually use them on digital layouts.

Stickers overtop dimensional objects (they just don't look right).

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Feathers...mostly because I have a hard time with shadows on feathers.

jk703 and keepscrappin like this.
  18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I hardly ever use paperclips or binder clips.

19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I don't use alphas if there's a word art in the kit that will work easier for my title. Alphas take more time to pull in all the letters and position and shadow... wordart makes it so much easier. I also don't use thick frames much. I love charms but only if I can hide the eyelet hole so I don't have to thread it on a string. Same with paperclips and binder clips, I only use them if I can scatter them around or hide that I didn't take the time to actually clip it to the paper.

20. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

This! I LOVE them but never get them to look right on my pages. Probably a shadowing thing since I take a simple approach to shadows.

Also ditto on THICK frames! I can't make them look like they belong on my pages. Again probably due to my quick shadows.