Why do you MOC?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by mrs2a50, Jan 2, 2021.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hello my special MOC scrapping friends! I'm currently trying to get caught up with my comments on the Day 1 Blind Scrap challenge (nicely done, by the way!!) and thought I would pop in to start a check in thread, and ask: Why do you MOC? What do you hope to gain from the month of January at TLP??

For me, MOC is a labor of love. Nine years ago, I emailed Laura toward the end of the summer and said "Hey, I have this idea. What do you think about a whole month of challenges? 31 days, 31 challenges, to get us primed and ready for the new year?" And bless her heart, she said "Why not??" And voila! Our MOC event was born! Its so hard for me to believe we've been doing this for nine years!

So I'm curious what everyone's motivation is for participating in MOC? Is it inspiration for the year? Is it to try new techniques and styles? Is it for the $20 GC and potential Polly spot (it's okay if it is :giggle)? For me, I had one year where I was able to actually complete all 31 challenges, and that was a HUGE accomplishment! I was pretty proud of myself that I was able to do that and everything else related to the back end of MOC. Recently, real life just doesn't allow enough time to do it all, so now what I love is seeing all the amazing pages you guys create!

So, my long-winded question is: Why do you MOC??

LynnG, Ga_L and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, I for one, am SO happy you two cooked this up way back when! I had joined TLP before MOC three years ago and had no idea what MOC was. I didn't get the first year done, but still had a lot of fun. I wouldn't miss is now because it's 31 days of fun, scrapping, learning new skills, fun, scrapping.........I LOVE it! I had a moment of panic last night when my laptop decided to go a little whacky and PSE went whacky right along with it! All I could think of was NOT getting to play along with MOC!

LynnG, AJK, mrs2a50 and 2 others like this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, the challenges are inspiring and the $20 at the end is an awesome bonus. MOC is my chance to catch up on the photos I've missed or haven't gotten to. It also gives me a reason to play and be creative everyday for the month, normally with life I don't get to scrap enough.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My first year (2014) I MOC'd for the gift certificate and to try to figure out this digital scrapbook thing. I had picked it up PS Elements for Christmas 2013 and thought: It can't be that hard:whistle. Well, it pushed me to learn! :-)

I came back and keep MOCing because I love the challenges. I love being pushed out of my comfort zone. The first clean and simple challenge I did I was so frustrated because there was nothing on my page (to me). But, now? I will do a clean and simple page to really highlight a photo. It's become part of my toolbox.

So, I MOC to add to my toolbox of techniques and learn something new.

Donitab, LynnG, SeattleSheri and 3 others like this.
  5. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

It's about meeting the challenges, trying new techniques, stretching my scrapping muscles. It's also about the community, helping each other out with tips and techniques, giving out and receiving pats on the back. The fact that there's a reward at the end of the rainbow is the cherry on the top of the sundae!

LynnG, SeattleSheri, mrs2a50 and 2 others like this.
  6. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

The short answer to your why would be because I have the time to do it. The longer one would be something along the lines of needing/wanting to discover new designers and techniques, to explore other styles and to step out of my comfort zone. This is where the $20 gift coupon comes into play. Ha ha... And of course, there's this quiet voice inside my head daring me to try: you've got the time, but have you got the will?

LynnG, mrs2a50 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

While the gift certificate and the Polly spot is very, extremely motivating, I now say it’s what I learn. Many of the challenges make me move out of my comfort zone, a zone which I’m getting a little stuck in lately. Now the best part is getting 31 pages scrapped! I try my best to make pages that I need to complete an album or a project, but that doesn’t happen all the time. So when the challenges don’t fit then I try my best to just have fun.

LynnG, LoveItScrapIt and mrs2a50 like this.
  8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

It is the time of year where I get re-energized and find my Mojo again. I am happiest with my pages that I do in MOC and so proud of myself for doing all the challenges and finishing!! Jill Walls (Created by Jill) challenged me to do it in MOC6, so I'm eternally grateful for her pointing me here. I believe I'm a better scrapper because of her support and guidance, and MOC.

9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

The first MOC, I was driven to become a Polly! I loved the lily pad fir so long! The designers were like beyond amazing and the Polly’s were super hero scrappers! There was such a family without drama feel here! I wanted to be smack dab in the midst!

I did become a Polly!

I have completed every challenge for all other (8) Mocs! I love the challenges, the way peeps interrupt the instructions and how new styles emerge from scrappers!

I see the work each Polly and Julie put into challenge. To pour as much into the challenge is pure mojo producing stuff! I’m an addict to scrap. It is non fattening and MOC is like getting the good stuff every day!!!

I now scrap 30-60 pages a month!

LynnG, LoveItScrapIt, cfile and 2 others like this.
  10. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

I started MOC a few years ago to get in the habit of trying to scrap daily. Then I kept doing it for the challenge and I love learning new techniques. I will admit the GC is a great motivator. My main reason for doing it this year is to go for the guest Poly spot. I really want that added bonus this year! But mainly, I love the challenge of it all and the need to finish something I start.

LynnG and mrs2a50 like this.
  11. bestcee

This is beautiful!

12. bestcee

There is a wonderful energy abounding during MOC!

Pachimac likes this.
  13. Pachimac

This is me as well. The designers and the Pollies here are such inspirations to me. I drool at their creations and hope one day to be the kind of scrapper who can be one of the pollies too. This is the only place I've seen that doesn't seem to have the drama!! Just the creativity!!!

I was blessed to get a Guest Polly two years ago and that was da BOMB!!!!! I wanted them to keep me! LOL

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    mrs2a50 likes this.
  14. Pachimac

There sure is!!! THere is such a let down on Feb 1! LOL

bestcee likes this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I MOC for a few reasons- I love the 'challenge' aspect & accountability! I love the 'rules' and having to step outside my normal scrapping box. It's a great jumping off platform to get creative juices flowing! I typically use MOC as a way to scrap old photos & catch up (unless a specific rule requires new photos!) And of course the giftcard at the end is a nice reward! ;)

LynnG, LoveItScrapIt and mrs2a50 like this.
  16. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

For me, the $20 gift certificate was the reason I originally participated - not sure what year that was - but after the first year, it was for the challenge. I love creating 31 unique layouts that frequently include "out of my comfort zone" techniques or styles. It truly helps me grow!

I can only imagine the behind the scenes coordination this takes - so THANK YOU!

mrs2a50 likes this.
  17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I would love to be a Polly, but I know that there are many great scrappers that take part in MOC each year.
    I love the 20$ gift certificate too.
    I love the challenges and learning new techniques, love the vibe and excitement.
    But mostly I use MOC as a means of getting through January, the heat, the boredom.
    My friends live here and I have a sense of community and appreciate that most of all.

LynnG, amandac, cfile and 2 others like this.
  18. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

We are SO proud of this!!

Karen likes this.
  19. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

I first came to The Lily Pad a few years ago when I won a collection on the Scrapneers site... When the MOC came up I had NO idea what it was, but always up for a good challenge... This year will be my 4th or 5th I think...
    Time flies so fast , I can no longer even tell you what day it is...I think today is Saturday the 2nd, but it feels like a Sunday! So I continue to be a part of this site, because I think you have some of the very best challenges out there, and I love doing them each month... Probably the first year, it was for the GC, but now it is to get me out of my box, and complete pages for my albums... Several in progress... the ongoing life, the life from the beginning for my family (which is how I totally missed last months monthly challenges Julie!) , the Wedding Cruise now over 15 years ago!!! I have worked on it here before... Started paper scrapping in 1998, switched to Digi in 2005... No interest in being a Polly... Don't have the time it takes.... Isn't it funny how we are all the same yet all different!!!!!

LynnG likes this.
  20. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

I'm there because I love the unbelievable inspiration of the concentrated load of very different challenges and not only the task itself inspires me, it is above all the many different layouts.
    I like it when i'm brought out of my comfort zone and get to know new techniques and design ideas

LynnG and bestcee like this.