Got any MOC Tips?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bestcee, Dec 11, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Can I add to that? Read the challenge again before you post to make sure you didn't miss something, like a date or word count.

2. bestcee

Yes! 100%!! There's always something outside your normal style, but take it as a challenge and try it!

Yep. Totally. A huge rabbit hole! But I love it!!!

This is great! It helps with journal challenges too because you know which photos are a longer story.

Yes!!! Please!!! If something doesn't make sense, or there's a language barrier to a word, ask! We want to help you succeed!!!

jk703 likes this.
  3. bestcee

This is a great attitude!
    I stopped trying to complete specific projects and just enjoy the creation process.
    I still have my list if a challenge fits it, but once I stopped trying to make photos or a story fit the challenge, MOC got way easier!

jk703, Lillyia and keepscrappin like this.
  4. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

This will be the first time I'm not working during MOC. I'm not sure if that will be good or bad. Intuitively, it would mean I have more time to scrap, but I think I may have more distractions now.

Tip: This is harder for some of us than others -- you do not have to scrap them in the challenge order. If something isn't coming together, it's ok to put it down, move on and come back with a fresh look.

And when I was working, sometimes it was important just to start a challenge layout by pulling in a photo, a few supplies, and maybe even write the journaling and save the file to come back to.

5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Not saying we shouldn't go down the rabbit hole, because I love it, too. Just finish the page first!

Lillyia and bestcee like this.
  6. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

My biggest thing is HAVE FUN!! We do this because we love it, don't we?!
    I see so many upset because "I can't do it" or "that's not my style" etc. It is supposed to be a challenge, just try to see the fun in it, and don't get hung up on the "can't do it".

jk703, Lillyia, keepscrappin and 4 others like this.
  7. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

1. For tracking, I have a Google Keep note that is a link to the opening post of each challenge so that I can reference it directly, instead of opening up at the last unread post. At the very top is the link to the MOC forum and a pasted copy of the standard guidelines that are included in every single challenge. (I apparently have not participated since 2018. :()

After I submit the challenge, I change the link to the post with my layout. It's an easy way to see which ones I've completed.

upload_2020-12-14_12-25-39.png upload_2020-12-14_12-29-9.png

2. If I don't like a challenge, if it's not my style or is a topic I would not otherwise scrap, I'll just do the minimum and I'll use photos that I would not have otherwise scrapped. At least then I've tried it and can say for certain that I did like / did not like / will continue to do / will never do again. LOL If I liked it, then it won't be a burden to do it again for myself with "real" photos and memories, and if I didn't like it, it ends up being a practice page with an interesting style. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    tjscraps, Lillyia, Smwhite and 2 others like this.
  8. bestcee

Yes! This is great!

Smwhite likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I agree with everything that's been said.
    • read and re-read the challenge checking off each requirement
    • check the kits you're using to make sure they're in the store - including links in the credits really helps the pollys :agree
    • scrap to the spirit of the challenge - you can change it later
    • Remember it's supposed to be a challenge, try not to push back and ENJOY a little scrappin therapy.
    • If you need help, please ask and we'll do our best to help you succeed!

Lillyia likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Oh I thought of a couple more

• Keep a the layered file of your layout in case you need to go back and modify something to meet the requirements.
    • Name your layouts with the MOC9_Day ( MOC9_01, MOC9_02 ) so you can easily pull up all the layouts you did for MOC and put them on a summary layout or print in a free shutterfly book. It's fun to have a little book of the MOC layouts

11. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

I also find it helpful to make/keep a copy of the how-to on challenges that teach me a new technique in my digi tutorials folder. I've gone back to those layouts and couldn't remember how to use it in another layout.

Lillyia, keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Not sure if this hint has already been shared but....
    I just bought myself a gift certificate which will be my budget for during MOC. To me it is always tempting to buy new things when taking part in the different challenges.

jk703, bestcee, Lillyia and 1 other person like this.
  13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Oh that’s a great idea @A-M I never would have thought to do that.

14. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I think my biggest tip would be to not "lose" the e-mail with your gift certificate code! :helpy

15. Lillyia

Lillyia Well-Known Member

I have read every hint and tip shared up to this point. Each one is thoughtful and insightful and I appreciate them all.

There are some action steps i.e. choose some photos, establish a record-keeping system for tracking your progress, etc. that are great organizational tips.

I think the mental attitude advice is very important too, because I am someone who would get stalled on a challenge that I dislike or that I think is too difficult and maybe quit altogether.

At first I was thinking that I would scrap an event or a series of photos on the same topic, therefore the advice to be flexible and avoid being stuck on using a certain set of photos is huge for me. If I had not read that advice I am pretty sure that my attitude regarding how and what to scrap would have definitely impeded and possibly curtailed my participation in the MOC9.

Lastly, if all else fails, if I just remember to "scrap to the spirit of the challenge" and "ENJOY a little scrappin therapy" as @keepscrappin says, then I should be okay.

The tips you've shared have set me up for a greater chance of being a happier and a more successful participant. Thank you in advance Pollys, for all your hard work. Let the good times roll!

16. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

I've never done MOC so this is all really helpful advice!

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

Do you have any questions about it?

CaroB71 likes this.
  18. CaroB71

Not yet... I think my brain is still processing how I’m going to make 31 pages in a month LOL!

bestcee likes this.
  19. bestcee

One day, one challenge at a time! :agree

Seriously, I set aside 60 minutes to scrap each day. I may not get the page completely done, but I've at least got a good start on it. If I finish early, I can go back to another day. Or, on the days I have more time (usually weekends), I can go in and finish the ones that aren't done. The biggest challenge for me is to let go of expectations and just enjoy the creative process.

A-M and CaroB71 like this.
  20. CaroB71

That is some great advice!

bestcee likes this.