Calling all App/Tablet Scrapper....

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by jk703, Dec 2, 2020.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Looking for information:

Can you scrap on a tablet with Photoshop?
    and without a laptop or other desktop computer?

What app do you have and scrap on?
    If you had a dream tablet, can you link me?

Anyone use Pixelmator?
    What are apps that I should research?

What is a simple description of your work flow?
    Where are your photos? Supplies?

I am looking for easy... is this easy?

My computer is crashing a lot lately, and making it hard for me to scrap or be online when I'm at home, unless I'm on my phone. So, I'm looking at new ways to scrap.

I'm a little nervous.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm pretty sure that within the last year, they do have a Photoshop app, but only if you have a CC subscription? I don't have CC, so I can't even check. That has intrigued me for sure, but I'm not sure if I could judge sizes correctly since I currently scrap on a 27" monitor. I tried to scrap (make stickers) on my son's old laptop that had a 15" screen and it felt SO tiny. Lol. Plus... I'm old and my eyes are struggling to see smaller stuff these day. I'd need one of the massive iPad Pros I think.
    :faint2

I have also dabbled with ProCreate on my iPad, but only to play around because the shadows aren't a one click kinda thing and I always just went back to my computer because it was easier. I do love the idea of having my iPad on my lap and being able to scrap from the couch! I hope you find something fun that works for you!

jk703 likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

4. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

The Affinity Photo app (iPad) does almost everything that desktop photoshop does. I actually used it for a few MOC layouts in 2018 when hubby had surgery and I was spending days in the hospital. I haven't used the PS for iPad yet.

Lara and jk703 like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Like Karen, my eyes aren't the greatest so scrapping on anything smaller than a 23" monitor is hard for me. I could scrap on my 15" laptop screen if I had to but it is a slower computer that just adds to the frustration.

Good luck in finding something that works for you!

jk703 likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I don't have any experience with app scrapping, but my first question would be do you know why your computer is crashing (software vs. hardware)? It seems like every few years I end up with something in my operating system getting corrupted and causing all kinds of trouble. I end up doing a clean reinstall of Windows and my programs. (All of my data is on a separate drive, but I think there are ways to preserve your data even if it's not). It's tedious and takes a couple of days to get everything set back up, but then it's like having a new computer again. :)

bestcee, keepscrappin and jk703 like this.
  7. jk703

I have been doing this over the past two month... started with just photoshop, remove and reinstall. Backed up data, (I'm not very good at this stuff as I used to be, but I think I did them right.) It stopped crashing Photoshop for a few weeks, and then whammo, all started again. So, next is the Windows remove and reinstall. Just this week, I borrowed a friends computer to scrap. I don't really think it's the hardware, the computer is only 3 years old. But, I don't know.

I'm going to keep trying, but as I do, I'm also going to research for the next phase of scrapping, lol!

Karen and KimJ like this.
  8. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I digital scrap exclusively on an iPad Pro using affinity photo app. The pages in my gallery were made with this combo. Photoshop has launched an app but it is so basic that if you have used full photoshop for any bit of time you would come away from the app very frustrated. It’s lacking in the most basic functions that scrappers use. I just bought the brand new 27” iMac Retina display and still prefer to scrap on my iPad Pro. I just like the ease and portability of it. I also love the affinity app. It was a one time purchase so no monthly payment, which is awesome, and I have been able to do everything that I did scrap wise in photoshop. Google and Affinity’s forums were my best friends in learning all the tricks. I also store all my kits in my cloud subscription so I always have them handy if I want to scrap on the go. I will say that the Apple Pencil is also my best friend as it helps with detailing my pages where my big fingers would get in the way.

eta: you can also buy hook ups for the iPad that allows you to use thumb drives as a storage option.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    julianz, elseepe and jk703 like this.
  9. jk703

Thank you - such great info to tuck away! I'll check out the app as well. Have you tried Pixlmator? Or heard of it? It looks similar, but again, I can't test or verify that. I like the cloud or thumb, but don't know how it works so that you can create. Do you download to the tablet? Are you able to peruse to download? Is it like my photos on my iPhone?

Thanks in advance, I have peppered you with questions!

10. gracielou

This is a page I am working on right now. You can see that the set up and functions are a lot like photoshop. You can create presets for shadows just like you can in photoshop so it can definitely be one click and done. I create and manipulate all my shadows individually. This takes A LOT of time but it’s my favorite thing to do. Just saying all that to show that it can be as quick or as involved as you want it to be.

[​IMG]

This shows how I scrap. I have a side screen that I pull up when I am working on a page. You can swipe this screen to hide and pull up with just a swipe of your finger. You can also move it to the other side of the screen.This side screen is my iCloud where I have my kits stored. I have them sorted by designer. From here I just go through my elements, papers, etc... and just drag and drop them on my page. Super easy. I browse through all my scrap files in this little side screen so I can easily switch from kit to kit.
    [​IMG]

I have never heard of pixlmator. I checked it out in the App Store just now and from what I can see just by the pictures it looks more like just an image editor but I have no idea for sure. Also, I do download to my tablet. I have a downloads folder that they go to. From there I unzip the file and then move, sort, and organize the files to my iCloud folder.

janedee, Donitab, Karen and 2 others like this.
  11. jk703

Thank you SO much! Very informative! I appreciate the detail and images!

Are preset shadows or styles able to be used? Do you create the shadow, or you use one in the software and then tweak it and save it? Thanks again.

12. gracielou

Yes and no . This is the FX panel in Affinity
    [​IMG]

You can not import photoshop shadow styles. Their file type (asl?) isn’t supported by Affinity. That’s the one draw back I have found with Affinity. I wish I could import all my style presets.
    One work around that I found was actually by accident. I opened a PSD of a page that I had been working on in photoshop into my Affinity app so I could finish it up there. All my shadows were still intact so I could go through and save those shadows as a preset in Affinity. I make my own though. I have a few basic starting point presets that I have made for different items and so I start with those and then I blur, warp, move, etc..... from there.

jk703 likes this.
  13. jk703

Such fantastic information, Amanda! Thank you so much! It doesn't seem so daunting!

14. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

I also use IPad with Affinity Photo and love how portable it is. If you are used to Photoshop and give yourself a little time to adjust to Affinity (there are great tutorials out there), I’m sure you would love it too! One of the parts I love the most is how easy it is to download kits to iCloud and have it all accessible there.

jk703 likes this.
  15. jk703

Thank you so much! I’m now watching a couple vids... to see how the work flow is! Everything I read sounds mostly favorable!

Annsofie likes this.
  16. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I use the Project Life app on an iPad Pro.

I have Affinity, and I really like it -- so much that I also bought the PC version -- but I have not spent enough time with it to really understand how to use it. I don't have the patience for videos so my learning is going embarrassingly slow. Still, I highly recommend. When I am committed enough to sit down and really figure it out, I think it will be my only program.

Karen likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Is it specific to photoshop and/or adobe? If so, you may want to check your graphics card settings in photoshop.
    It's counterintuitive, but ps crashes on me when I let it use too much ram. One if the updates changed it to like 80% or something. I have to keep it at 60%. I also had to change the scratch disk settings. After that I had no issues.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. jk703

Courtney, I will check. It did do an update between. I had to reset my workspace too. This is in preferences correct?

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes. I have to reset mine every so often after updates. Not every update, just some of them.
    Edit --> Preferences --> Performance --> Memory Usage should be the top. I know on a previous update, some graphics processors had to have the "Use graphics Processor" button unchecked. I don't remember the details, but it was on Adobe's help site.
    Edit --> Preferences --> Scratch Disks --> Sometimes this switches on me with an update. I have two hard drives, and when one was smaller, I had to switch which one was primary.

20. jk703

Thank you so much! I will check these out when I get home!

bestcee likes this.