Favorite games | Pad Patter 11.30.2020

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Nov 30, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Hi- Our family tradition is to have a family game night on Sunday nights. It's a chance for us all to do something together and *in theory* have fun. Last night did not go so well....but we'll do it again next week.

The game we played last night seems to bring out the worst in the kids....so I'm thinking we need a new game to play. What are your favorite family games?

Our Favorites:
    Ticket to Ride
    Labyrinth
    Settlers of Catan
    Survive
    Pandemic

and a variety of card games.

I HATE little kid games....especially Life and Monopoly...and my kids are way too old for the Candyland age games.

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we
    did ticket to ride and kinda blah
    we have had pandemic for 2 years....lol never played

our favorite is Phase 10. We set timer for set time (68 minutes-they don't know when it is over)
    in our house it is pulling teeth to start...and we have found short times with popcorn helps!
    we play to see who has highest phase (tie breaker losest score)

dominoes is also fun

my boys would play RISK for hours! shoot me!

3. dbregant

dbregant Well-Known Member

Upwords or Scrabble?

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

There's a kids' version of Catan. It plays much more quickly, which I like lol.
    Dimension, which I read about here at TLP. (You can buy it the US; the site link is for the game maker)
    Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza
    Battle Sheep
    Spontuneous
    Unstable Unicorns
    Exploding Kittens

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Tell me about this. We have Exploding Kittens, I've been told it's similar.

6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I hate games, unless they're completely games of change like Chutes and Ladders or Mouse Trap. My DH is seriously into strategy board games (some of them taking literally months or years to play!) and I hate them. Even games like Monopoly that take a certain amount of strategy I didn't like to play. I just don't get it.

So, my favorite games are:
    • Phase 10
    • Chutes and Ladders
    • Candyland
    • Mouse Trap
    • Mexican Train (a form of dominoes)
    • Shut the Box

7. bestcee

Quick Game: Bites Super easy to pick up, the rules change each time, and it's quick. It says 20 minutes, but we usually play in about 15. Also, because the 'game board' is constantly changing, your strategy has to constantly change! We have Double Bites, which makes for a longer game and is nice when we play with more than 4.

Play Nine: A card game. You don't have to know anything about golf to play. In fact, the only thing it has to do with golf is the theme and the little pencil, and the goal to have the lowest score. You flip over cards, and take turns in order.

Quixx: A dice game. It's fun because it's easy to catch onto. It feels competitive and cooperative at the same time. You can mark points on your board when the other players roll the dice, so sometimes you are rooting for them to get a good roll but it's for your own interest.

We like to play Forbidden Island too, it's a cooperative game like Pandemic, but way faster and with less moving parts! I think it's easier, my 10-year old plays that really well, but struggles with Pandemic strategy.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. Tree City

It is, in some sense. It's also different because you have some cards face-up on the table--aka your stable--so there is a bit of strategy involved. From their website:

Unstable Unicorns is a strategic card game about everyone’s two favorite things: Unicorns and Destruction!

The goal of Unstable Unicorns is to be the first person to collect 7 Unicorns in your play area, also known as your Stable. You do this by gathering up your own Unicorn army and using a combination of their magical powers and Magic, Instant, Upgrade, and Downgrade cards to hinder the other players’ progress and destroy their Unicorns instead. But beware -- each player has all of these tools at their disposal as well, and you may just find your plans foiled by a well-played “Neigh!” card.

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

OOh, another game is Qwirkle. Love it!

I love Phase 10. I do things that make my strategy-game-loving DH go nuts! lol!

Risk is on my no-no list. Funny story: When I was in college there was a group of guys playing it in the dorm lobby. It wasn't a friendly game (lots of yelling, screaming, fighting). It was horrible. After an entire weekend of this my friend and I went over and in our best dumb blonde voices asked what they were playing. We said we knew another way to play the game called Nuclear Holocaust, and proceeded to overturn the board while everyone else cheered us on.

bestcee and norton94 like this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We played games this weekend.
    Quixx
    Catan
    Cover Your Assets
    Five Crowns
    Kings in the Corner
    Rummikub

The kids also played Mario Kart and Among Us.

11. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

We played Settlers of Catan (expansion pack so 5 of us could play) and Unstable Unicorns this weekend. Those are our go-tos these days with teen kids. Dominion is another fave.

@bestcee I don't know about Exploding Kittens, but Unstable Unicorns is loads of fun - lots of strategy and funny cards - lots of variety. Even though we've played many times there are many new situations etc.

bestcee likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Telestrations is hilarious.
    Scattergories is an all time favorite of mine.
    Munchkin is funny.
    Takenoko and Barbearians are fun and interesting.
    Splendor is wonderfully quiet and easy to play but encourages strategic thinking.

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

One of our favorites is Left Right Center (dice game). I'm a long time lover of Pictionary and DS loves Trivial Pursuit.
    But, we play card games more than anything...Rummy, Spades, Rook, Phase 10, Hearts, Oh He**, BS, and a little Poker.

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh goodness! I love games!

Mexican Train (love, but takes forever)
    Taboo (Everyone fun)
    Quirkle
    Catan
    Ticket To Ride
    Cards - Spades, Tummy 500, Kings in the Corner, Palace, Poker
    Sequence (Easy to Learn)
    Triple Yahtzee
    Speak Out (great with friends, after a couple cocktails too! Hilarious)

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Some of our faves have already been mentioned - Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, Quirkle, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Quixx

We also like:
    Dragonwood
    Farkle (dice game)
    Spot It (more for younger kids - but I like it because it's simple - LOL!)
    Machi Koro
    Azul

I have Throw Throw Burrito on my Amazon wish list. My older girls played it with some friends and LOVED it.

norton94 likes this.
  16. bestcee

So if you have one, it's not redundant to have the other?

17. Tree City

Oh no, definitely not. They're similar because they're both card games, but the play itself is different. Like @norton94 said, there are lots of ways to get 7 unicorns. Plus there are add-on decks (yup, like EK lol!), so you can change it up. The kids like it and my mom, who doesn't love games, will even play!

norton94 and bestcee like this.