Chicken Soup | Pad Patter 11.12

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 12, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is chicken soup for the soul, also happy hour but I thought we could chat about chicken soup.
    I like chicken soup, especially with noodles or rice.
    Do you like chicken soup? What's your favorite? We make chicken mulligatawny quite often during the winter. Chicken noodle is a year round favorite. And chicken lemon orzo tends to be more of a summer soup around here. No idea why? Just when we make it.
    Also, I grew up with this book: Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak. I went looking for it, and found that Carole King turned it into a song. Have you heard of the book or song?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Love Chicken Soup....homemade is best but as far as a prepared version I love this chicken noodle one available here in NZ. Apart from about two types of soup that I’ll buy (chicken noodle and pumpkin), the rest I make as I can make it both lactose free and Weight Watcher friendly as well as save $$$.

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  3. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Ok - I’ll admit it - I LOVE Campbell’s chicken noodle soup. It’s always in the pantry for sandwiches or when someone is sick.

We tend to eat chicken and dumplings. It is just what I grew up with although I love a homemade chicken noodle soup

bestcee and HavaDrPepper like this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Nope, never heard of the song or the book. Go figure!

I loved my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup. I have the recipe, but I can't eat it anymore. Sigh.

bestcee likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You're not going to believe this, but my grandkids' favorite soup that I make is Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup. I have a "secret recipe" and they always want me to make it - they say that nobody else can make it as good as mine. (Remember, it's from a can.) I tell them that the "secret ingredient" is LOVE. I make if with Half -n Half. It really IS good. Sometimes, I put canned chicken in it but they prefer it plain.

bestcee, IntenseMagic and Donitab like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I've never heard of this book either but this one about Pumpkin Soup was one of my fave kids books (I've actually refused to give our copy away to charity shops and book fairs b/c i loved it so much) - funny enough though, i'm the only one in our house that'll eat pumpkin soup... Chicken noodle or Chicken lemon with the orzi pasta is a staple though!

bestcee likes this.
  7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Every week or so all during winter I make a basic soup stock. Most often it is a chicken one. It gets turned in to all different kinds of soups and sauces. If we just want chicken soup a s such,I use the clear homemade stock, add carrot ,celery,leek,and a small turnip,add rice later on. Uhmmm. Nothing better.

bestcee likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We love chicken noodle soup here. It's a regular on the menu! I usually use egg noodles in it because that's what the kiddo likes best.

My mom always made us plain Cream of Chicken from the can over toast when we were kids and it's one of my favorite comfort foods to this day! I usually use milk, but I'm going to try the half-n-half!

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Half-n-Half makes a world of difference!! My GK's always want this. It's total comfort food.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I read that book to my kids last year during November for the first time and we loved it. I'll need to check it out at the library again.

We love soup around here, especially chicken noodle. I love that soup is so easy to make. Broth, add some veggies, add pasta, rice or potatoes, and some seasoning and you are good to go.

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Campbell’s Tomato soup here, made with milk. I do make homemade turkey soup occasionally ... carrots, celery, onion and egg noodles.

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

It's in my pantry too. Because when I'm sick? I'm not making homemade soup.

13. bestcee

I've never heard of that one! I'm listening to it now.

14. bestcee

It's also pretty forgiving. It'll sit on a stove on low and be fresh for everyone, no matter when they show up.

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  15. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

We just had Lipton chicken noodle soup for lunch today. I love chicken avgolemono soup - I should plan on making a pot soon.

Yes, I know the Carole King Chicken Soup with Rice song!