when did you move out of parents house? | pad patter 10.14.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Oct 15, 2020.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I turned 18, the November of my senior year, had enough credits to graduate that January, (but stayed in school for insane reasons). In March, friends had a small (like it was a pantry/laundry room) and for $50 I could rent it! My dad helped me put up cloud wallpaper on the ceiling and moved my bed and clothes. I was independent!
    I was working full time, kinda showing up to school. (all electives that I got automatic As in anyway). I was loving it! Went to Jr. College a few years.
    I was out for almost 3 years! Moved to a few different apartments (different roomies). I had a great job (AT&T sales operator). The divestiture of the Phone company happened! Our office closed and I joined the Air Force (due to having to wait 3 months to get in, I moved back in with parents temporarily for that time)!

What about you, when did you move out?

KimJ likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ha ha.. they moved out on me! LOL I think I was the only one who's parents left them! I was 25 when my Dad got transferred with his job to FL and my Mom did not want to sell the house right away, so I stayed in the house for a year... (though, since I was 18, living in their house I did pay rent :) ) I moved with them to FL the year later and stayed there for 9 months, then moved back to NY on my own.

Tronesia, KimJ and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

oh I needed to read this post this morning, you put a great smile on my face! that is such a fun story!

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

:) I am glad I made you smile Anne... Big Hugs!

5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

When I got married, 21.
    What's really crazy is that my oldest moved out at 26 (same age as when I had him) and the other two are still at home.
    Fabulous conversation topic though.

KimJ and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

went to Uni at 18. I moved back to my parents home after graduating. They'd moved house by then having left the military, and I had a mattress on my sister's bedroom floor. I stayed there for about 6 months doing short term contract jobs until I got my first long term contract. That job brought me to the town I still live in now.

KimJ likes this.
  7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I moved out at 18 when I married, but moved into my MIL's home for about 12 -18 months while my then husband, L was in basic and MOS school, then moved back into my parents' home when he was deployed to Germany, once our son was born I moved to Germany (parents and MIL wanted me to deliver in the states). When his tour was nearly up I moved back home and into my parents' house for a couple of months, then moved into my MIL's house for a few months with L until we got base housing. Moved back into my parents' home when L was deployed back to Germany 2 years later ...

Later L and I divorced and I moved out of my parents' home permanently. Thankfully my parents were fine with me moving in and out as the military moved us around. Currently my 45 y.o. DD and her 15 y.o. son live with me.

KimJ likes this.
  8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I moved out when I was 19 and moved in with a girl that I worked with. We had a great apartment in a highrise and two other girls we worked with lived there too. After about a year and a half, we decided it would be cheaper to all live together and we moved into a house together. A couple of years later, my dh to be moved into the house next door with his roomies who were all friends of ours. We had a lot of good times together!

KimJ likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Always considered their home as my home during college. I had several apartments for 6 years after college in another city. Then I moved back to my hometown. Was with them until I found a place to rent. Was there for a couple of years then my parents asked me to move back in with them. They were at the point where they went south for the winter and if I was living in the house, I would take care of all bills etc while they were gone. And, they didn't have to mess with turning utilities off/on. Then Mom's emphysema was getting worse so I helped to do things around the house for her along with being the house sitter during the winter. They turned the house over to me before she died so at that point, they were living in my house (although I always considered it theirs).

Even though I lived with them, I did my own thing as did they. I also paid my own bills... car payments, insurance etc.

wvsandy and KimJ like this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My mom was a Drama Queen! My sister and I had really good jobs after we graduated HS and we decided, along with our BFF, that we wanted to move to an apartment downtown. We went and looked at it and it was like Heaven - had this great big rounded top window and the most beautiful light. It was the upstairs of this lovely old house. (Stay with me here).

We went home to tell mom all about it and instead of being happy - she threw herself backwards on her bed, covered her face with her arm (true movie star style) and cried. "What did I ever do to deserve this? Why do my daughters want to move away from home? She was literally wailing - you can't make these things up.

So, like the good girls that we were, we nixed the apartment (our friend was so mad at us) and stayed home with Mommy Dearest. My sister decided to marry her boyfriend not too much later (we still think it was her way out) and I followed suit about a year later.

My sister and I still talk about this episode and wonder how different our lives might have been had we been on our own for a few years.

jesskab and KimJ like this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I was 21, I think. I moved in with a friend and then several months later moved in with my now husband.

KimJ likes this.
  12. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I moved across state to go to college. I came back home the first summer, but being that my hometown is a college town as well, the jobs dry up in the summer, so I just stayed at school year round after that. I stayed at school for the summer after I graduated college too, while continuing to send out resumes and getting whatever hours I could at the library where I worked.

I moved back home when school started back up and delivered pizza while I continued to look for a "real job". I was hired by Ericsson and moved to Texas a few months later. DH (then fiancé) still had 7 months of school left. We got married and he joined me in Texas right after he graduated. :)

cfile likes this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I think I was 20. I went to county college for two years (18-20), then transferred to another school - lived on campus at school (1yr), then after that all apartment with sorority sisters (pry 5 years). So much fun! I got 2 degrees - so was in school for approx. 6 years).

Peter and I lived together on one side of a Mother/Daughter House with his mom for a year or so... then an apartment with his sister. Then we bought our first house. :)

Once I left my parents house, I never went back. It worked better for us... my mom and I get along MUCH better as long as we don't live together! :giggle

KimJ and SeattleSheri like this.
  14. AnneofAlamo

I have to admit, I had it all ready for yesterday, and forgot to post...I love this topic too! such fun!
    oh how our younger bodies could handle that..!
    oh what a blessing to be able to have them, that you are in a place to be a help to them is awesome!
    I can only imagine the memories of this set up!
    I so love that you were able to do this, and your dear parents were able to ask you, pure love!
    You win the best written visual, I so could see this in my mind.
    "real job" that is the turning point for us all
    oh true true words. I am still working on her going from 1300 miles away to, 1.2 miles away. lol

jk703, Karen, KimJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

16. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I still considered my parent's house as home through the end of Christmas break my senior year of college. My husband and I got married over spring break that year. So we were on our own from that point in time.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    KimJ likes this.
  17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

17 - I graduated from HS a year early and moved out to go to university and never looked back. I've funded myself 100% from that point on. I've been completely self sufficient, including paying for all tuition, living expenses, etc ... in my late teens and beyond.

KimJ and jk703 like this.
  18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

During college I lived on campus but came home to my parents' house most summers. After college Dan and I had plans to move to the DC-area for his job. (I could teach anyplace, but he needed to be near the federal government.) I had to move back home for a month or so in between graduation and our move date. So 18 was the last time I lived with my parents full time, but I was in and out of their house until I got my first full time job at 22.

KimJ likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I moved out for 3 1/2 years to my grandma’s house which was closer to where I was studying in 2011, moved back home mid 2014 through to mid 2016, moved cities for three months which didn’t work out, moved back home 4 years ago and have been here since. I will move out eventually but until I have a full time job it’s not viable so long story short at 33 years old I’m still living at home!

KimJ likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I graduated high school at 17 (young for my class) and went to college after that summer. That would be the last time I lived there full time, but I did come home for 2 summer after that. I stayed at school after my junior year until I graduated and then lived on my own after that. So I was only completely self sufficient after I graduated college at 21.

My Dad always joked that for our 18th birthday he was going to buy us a suitcase. :giggle He was only partially joking. :lmao

KimJ and SeattleSheri like this.