board and card games - what are your favorites

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 13, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

It's prime day and I'm looking at games. What are your favorites?

I just got 50% off on Qwixx for all of my siblings for Christmas. And I'm looking at others.

Has anyone played taco vs burrito?

Dalis likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We love quixx, haven't played tacos vs burrito.
    We also love sequence and spoons or sevens card games (played with a regular deck of cards)

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Love games! Sequence is a great game... not sure of ages... but we like Mexican Train (Dominoes), Quirkle, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Monopoly, Chess, Othello, and card games - Poker, Scat, 21, Spades, Hearts, etc.

I disliked Exploding Kittens, and Sushi Go.

@CathQuillScrap made a layout recently of a game that I would like to try to find/get/try... Go. I've never played, but it sure sounded interesting.

CathQuillScrap and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

@Eyeore and @jk703 - we love Sequence and Catan too! I've never tried ticket to ride but it's on my wishlist! I saw that layout with the GO game too and think it'd be fun to try but it's not on amazon and I'm leery about buying from non-standard sites.

I bit the bullet and bought taco vs burrito since it was a good deal and I think my nieces and nephews will like playing it. We have exploding kittens and I hate it, because the whole family gangs up on me with the nope card! :giggle

jk703 likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not easy to play board games by yourself ;) Honestly, I haven't heard of most of what you guys are talking about!

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

cards against maturity
    cards against humanity (so glad they came out with a family edition so now we can play with the kids!)
    Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza
    Bear and the Bees (kids are annoyed with this game...but it's my fault: I told them to watch the "How to play" video provided by the maker, but the vid had different rules than the written instructions, which I read. D'Oh!)
    Ticket to Ride (it's a longer game play, which you may like...or not lol)
    Codename: Duet
    Qwirkle
    Exploding Kittens
    Unstable Unicorns
    Balderdash
    Spontuneous
    Hit or Miss
    Azul

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've never heard of it. Sounds fun, though. My youngest GS used to love Shoots and Ladders and Candy Land, but he's moved on - just plays video games now.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i always like scanning these lists for suggestions - Sushi Go Party is fun (and pretty fast) to me & there's different 'games' built in - different variations of card combo's and stuff for when you get used to it to keep it interesting - it's apparently different to the original Sushi Go but i've never played that

i think the ones we have, have mostly been suggestions here
    - Ticket to Ride has taught me a lot of US geography!
    - The Forbidden Island & Desert are cool for cooperative play and goals
    - Labyrinth - always fun and interesting
    - Santorini is interesting and kinda chess-like WRT strategy (it's hard for me to get my head around, with (Ancient greek) God cards that give each character rules about how they can move like in chess and i don't play chess and my memory isn't good enough to remember 'who' can move 'how') but the kids like it
    - Codenames - i think it's the original one (red box), fun and funny & some thinking
    - 5 minute Dungeon we have but haven't played enough to get a feel for it - it's got an app that does funny voices and the 5 minute timer count down
    - Monolith - boring and didn't like at all but i think i bought this on discount on a flat rate shipping game site but would never recommend

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I enjoyed playing Chutes and Ladders with my kids and grandkids, but Candyland for some reason drives me nuts, but I've played it more times than I can count.

I'm not a big board game person, but I also play Trouble, Checkers, and Chinese Checkers with the grandkids. Cootie is also fun.

keepscrappin and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

@jk703 thanks for the mention again. We've played "Go" since I was a child. The site I found it on listed it as a game from the 70s. It's a really fun game of travel... with almost two games in one...round the outside to buy tickets and get currency, on the map to travel and get souveniers... lots of fun.

Other games we play are monopoly, Cluedo, Finito (a card game), Uno, Rummikub, Barricade, Jenga
    We also play lots of card games... snap, old maid, go fish, rummy, newmarket

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Sleeping Queens is a fun card game our family likes. It even involves simple math!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm following this! We love card and board games.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

We play LOTS of board games with the grand kids. They like Exploding Kittens but it is not my favorite.
    Others include:

Phase 10
    The Great Delmuti card game-fun game and shows how life is unfair in a crazy way
    Touring - very old game
    Sorry
    Ticket to Ride
    Qwixx
    Apples to Apples
    Awkward Family Photos-the kids love this game (I've actually been collecting our awkward family photos to make a family edition)
    Sequence
    Cranium

thanks @keepscrappin for the tip, I just bought Qwixx and taco vs burrito for gifts.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I like card games best. Simple ones like Uno that everyone can play together are super fun. My hubby and I and another couple also love to play euchre together as often as possible.

For board games, I like parcheesi. Again, it's easy and all ages have a shot at winning. Plus it's pretty quick. My boys both like Monopoly, but it takes WAY too long. I actually bought a giant square coffee table for my living off Craigslist just so we could have a Monopoly game going and leave it out to play over a few days time. That reminds me... we haven't played in awhile.

I also love a dice game called Toss Up. It's basically 10 dice with red, green and yellow sides. Green is good, yellow is caution and red is bad/stop/lose. You try to roll as many "clean" rolls as you can and you add points for every green die you throw. If you roll any amount and don't get at least one green, you lose all the green ones you've rolled so far, so each time you keep rolling you have to risk all the points you've earned. If you get to all 10 green, you can start over and try to get to 20, etc. Anyway, you can play this with big groups of people and it's super fun with kids and adults. And it's a tiny little box, so we always pack this for camping or traveling.

[​IMG]

Iowan and keepscrappin like this.
  15. keepscrappin

toss up sounds fun, thanks for the suggestion!

Karen likes this.