Punch | Pad Patter 9.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Sep 20, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

No, not the fist to the face kind, although in the last several weeks I have felt a bit "punchy" a few times :giggle! But, today is Punch Day, like the drink served at parties. We just had some last night at my daughter's bridal shower, and I'm going to just admit it...I'm not a fan. I opted for a glass of straight up Dr. Pepper.

So just out of curiosity, do you like punch? Do you have a favorite or a recipe to share? Maybe I just haven't had a really good one yet!

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Don’t think punch is a big thing here to start with. I’m not a huge alcoholic beverage person anyway, I’ve probably had the equivalent of 2 maybe 3 alcoholic drinks total in 15 years. If I am out somewhere with friends at a bar or restaurant (which happens maybe once a year if that) I’ll buy a speciality fizzy fruit drink instead like
    [​IMG]

Donitab and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

When I was a kid, many showers/church gatherings would "feature" a punch made with Seven-Up and sherbet. IDK why, but that was AWESOME when I was a kid (even though I hate floats, and that punch is basically a float). :giggle But now I can't name the last time I had punch. I looked up the recipe...and it's literally just those two ingredients lol, but I swear my mom would put a can of fruit cocktail in it, too.

Donitab and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I can't remember the last time I had punch. My mom occasionally served it at family gatherings when I was a kid. I mostly just drink water. Same with my family. None of us drink soda or alcohol. My son and husband like juice so we usually have some in the fridge. I usually forget to think of beverages when I plan a meal for guests. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@michelepixels my family is the same, none of us drink much alcohol, either we aren’t that in to it or we can’t drink because of drug interactions. If I was entertaining guests having fancy drinks organised probably wouldn’t enter my mind quite honestly....I’d probably say BYO if you want to have alcohol.

michelepixels likes this.
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

^^THIS at every function/bridal shower/baby shower/anniversary party I ever went to as a kid.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

Punch here (at least in my experience) is usually some kind of fruit juice with ginger ale or sprite to make it fizzier and sometimes added ice cream or sherbet, and maybe real fruit. I've never really had much punch that had alcohol in it, maybe a time or two in college lol.

8. IntenseMagic

Yep, same here. Loved it as a kid. I usually only see it now at Christmas parties and showers. I'm thinking my mom did the fruit cocktail, too! I guess maybe that made it fancier lol.

Tree City likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

Until last night, I hadn't been anywhere with punch in a really long time. I am the same when I plan meals for guests, beverages are usually an after thought and I'm rushing out or messaging someone to pick up something lol.

michelepixels likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I still see fruit punch around here. My father's funeral dinner was at the church I went to when growing up and they had a punch bowl, bottles of water and coffee. I think you tend to see it at gatherings that are located in churches and of course those are non-alcoholic!

Growing up we had it at family gatherings all the time. In fact, Mom had a punch bowl set that she used. It was sitting under the staircase in the basement for many years, never used. Because of Mom's health we stopped having Christmas at our house in the late 80's. I tried to donate it to the thrift store and they wouldn't take it. A second hand furniture store was willing to take it. I just wanted to get rid of it! It was still in the original box as well.

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I used to see it... hardly anymore. I don't usually have any either. :giggle I like it... but I'd probably have just the soda. I'd pry try it if it had alcohol in it... :giggle

Karen likes this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I like fruit punch, but not had it in years. We had fruit punch instead of wine at our wedding as some of my stewards were residents from the drug and alcohol rehab that I volunteered with. So we kept it strictly alcohol free.

basic recipe:
    • fruit juice
    • lemonade
    • chunks of fresh fruit.
    My in-laws make it with sparkling wine instead of lemonade.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Punch seems to be the drink of choice at baby or wedding showers. This spring a group of friends hosted a baby shower for another friend who had a surprise baby at 41. She didn't have anything left from the other three kids she has, so we threw a baby shower together. I was in charge of the punch. I did add something other than the usual sprite and sherbet, but I can't remember what now. We all had a little cup of it, but it's SOOOOO sweet! I definitely had a lot left over and it got dumped. :giggle I know I loved it as a kid, probably because it was so sweet.

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, I tried to find a Giphy about "shower punch" and everything was "sexy". LOL Yes, the sherbert/Ginger Ale/punch was the drink of choice at all the showers I ever intended. I rather liked it - it was kind of addictive. LOL

jesskab likes this.
  15. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Bwahahahaha, "sexy". I'll have to search when I get home. :giggle

16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I was waiting for somebody to "come up for air" on this?????:rollin

jesskab likes this.
  17. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Sangria's like punch right? That would my favorite. Growing up, my Mom would make a drink called ponche, which is Spanish for punch. As an adult, I've realized it's more of a rompope without the booze. So, this was a warm comforting drink of milk, egg, & cinnamon. To me, that's ponche. Apparently, real Mexican ponche is a warm fruity hibiscus drink with cinnamon & oranges.

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is so funny! I actually made punch (non-alcoholic) for my daughter's 18th birthday party last night. 1 part fruit punch, 1 part ginger-ale, 1 part pineapple juice. My kids all like it but I always pass it up. I would rather have plain soda.

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't drink punch regularly but back in college, a little local restaurant right off-campus had the BEST fruit punch & that's what I always ordered when we went there to eat.

20. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

This is the big punch recipe in the Tx Panhandle. It is so good and not overly sweet if you use less of the sugar water part of the recipe.

We call it Mock Champagne.
    5 cups sugar and 2 1/4 cup water - Heat so that the sugar completely dissolves, then cool. Add one cup lemon juice and 1 ounce each of vanilla extract and almond extract. We usually make this part the day before.
    Mix 1 cup of this mixture with 2 quarts ginger ale to serve. Sometimes strawberries or raspberries are used to pretty it up.

Sadly, most showers have skipped the punch and just have tea or spiced tea and coffee. I miss the punch.

For my wedding, we used pineapple sherbet, cranberry juice, and ginger ale. My color was maroon and I needed something to give me that color.