Childhood Favorite?? | Pad Patter 09.14.2020

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Sep 14, 2020.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My Nana's pierogis most Friday nights (a Catholic thing, no meat on Friday) - the filling was farmers' cheese and not mashed potatoes so really they were like giant ravioli. They were boiled and then fried in butter and sliced onions. Oh so yummy! While she spent most of her later years with us, Nana went from our home to either of my two Aunts homes for parts of the year. When she lived with my widowed Aunt Florence and cousin Joe, she still made the pierogis on Friday but my cousin Joe got a frozen lobster tail as he didn't like pierogis! He was as spoiled as I was!

Nana also made wonderful Philadelphia style sticky buns which I suspect she learned while living with Aunt Ruthie and family in the Philadelphia area. Oh they were good!!!

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My Grama made the best salmon patties in the world. I wish I knew how she did it. I tried once after she passed away and they were NOT the same. I'm guessing it had something to do with her cast iron pan and she probably fried them with lard or something. They were so crispy on the edges and delicious!

I love that you're doing this projects to remember your Grandma Farrah. Such a great idea and will be a treasure!

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Karen, I PM'd you a recipe that might do to replace your grandma's.

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I always loved my grandmothers soups....officially known as hamburger or beef and veggie soup but we often referred to them and still do as "grandma's clean out the fridge soup" - she never followed a recipe and each time was a bit different depending on what she had left in her fridge and cupboards

wvsandy likes this.
  5. Karen

Thank you so much! I got your recipe and I can't wait to try it! :bk

SharLamb likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmmm. My mom cooks really well, and still does, but I don't think I ever had a favorite. I like ALL the food, lol!
    My grandmothers Ham or Turkey and all the sides during holidays, so YUM! My moms Sausage stuffing is divine!

Now, this makes me want to pick out a special dish to make with the boys. They both like cooking and we've made lots of different dishes, but maybe something special we can learn to make, and make together every year. Hmmmm.

HeatherB, wvsandy and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

I love this idea!

jk703 likes this.
  8. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

My mother made (and still does) the best cabbage rolls. Somehow she was always able to find the best leafy green cabbage leaves to make them with. Our market always seems to take the pretty leafy green leaves off.

9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Breadfruit ANYTHING... I love and miss breadfruit so badly. I heard that if I go to the city now I can get my hands on some of it, but I hate driving to the city! LOL!!!

10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

11. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar