Organized Fast Five | Pad Patter 9.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 17, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

As I start a new semester I'm always trying to find the best way to organize myself, my house, my family, etc. So, in that spirit:

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person?
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?)
    3) Are you a list maker?
    4) Is your house organized?
    5) Are your computer files organized?

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes, Overall I do. I can usually find things pretty quickly.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Yep - Paper Planner for me. Although family events go in the Shared Google Calendar.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yep. I have one of those write and erase books that I use for lists. Along with 2 other notebooks depending on what the list is for! Household and scrap ideas can not co-exist for me.
    4) Is your house organized? I don't think so. I've been told yes, but I know there's room for improvement.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yep. I need to do some maintenance, but I'm happy that's one spot that is almost always organized!

3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes & no - depends on what it is and my mood.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Both - digital for long term (everything beyond this week) and when I am out and about. But paper for this week (Happy Planner) so I can scribble and reschedule and add.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes - Post-It notes are the bomb.
    4) Is your house organized? Sort of - try to keep common areas neat and organized.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes. So glad those rascals don't move on their own and that other people can not move, add, or remove them.

Clean-up/straighten up once per day. A neater house looks better even if it is not all that clean.
    I am an out-of-sight out-of-mind person, so if I just don't go into rooms I can ignore that fact that they are messy. This works for the kid's rooms and the library, which is my husband's office. But if I have to spend a lot of time in a room, then clutter starts to bug me a lot.

Donitab likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? I start out with great intentions.....does that count?
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Google calendar about 50% of the time.....the other 50% well....
    3) Are you a list maker? Sometimes especially if I’m getting overwhelmed I’ll use them.
    4) Is your house organized? Umm no....next question!
    5) Are your computer files organised? School files, job applications....yes, digital scrapping stuff....nope, not in the slightest

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) No.
    3) Are you a list maker? Sometimes....
    4) Is your house organized? Yes.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes.

:giggle My friends laugh that my house is too clean - I say no, it's too organized.

Tip: Always put things back in the right spot. Have a "spot" for everything, even the mess pile.

Karen and Donitab like this.
  6. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Paper. I keep a notebook on my desk and write down everything I need to remember/do.
    3) Are you a list maker? All.the.time.
    4) Is your house organized? Overall yes. Some things, like my craft supplies, aren't 100% organized, due to lack of space, but their messiness isn't visible.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Less than I want them to be. I can find stuff, mostly thanks to the search function, but I really need to organize my photos.

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes although I have things that I put away in a safe place then can't find them when I want them.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Yes, both. I put appointments when I make them (ie cardiologist appt made a year in advance) on my google calendar if I make the appointment while in the office. Those appointments that are made by phone and just a few days away (dog grooming, chiro etc) I write on a sticky note and stick on the refrigerator. I use a paper calendar to write all kinds of things down, not just appointments. I track when I give the dog her heartworm/flea meds or when I've sent important paper work in the mail.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes. Grocery is an on going list in the kitchen. I just tear if off the pad and stick it in the purse when I go. I have a spreadsheet list for items that I take when going to scrapbooking retreats as well. Hasn't been used in years but who knows, I might use it again some day. Not even going to go into the lists I have for scrapping!
    4) Is your house organized? Much better than it used to be. Big purge from 2016 through 2018 helped. A big portion was done in 2017 before the remodel of the kitchen. That area is organized to my liking these days.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes, I can say they are now. Spent time during the early days of the pandemic doing it. Hadn't realized how bad it was...

Tip: If doing a whole house purge, do a little at a time. Don't try to do it all at once. Plan it out by making a list. Break it down into rooms or even small areas within a room and get that area done then move on to the next one of the list.

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) I keep everything on my phone - calendar, lists, etc.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes, on my phone
    4) Is your house organized? It was until we recently moved.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes. I have to keep them organized.

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? Don't move things! Keep them in the same place, even if you move - keep them in the same dresser drawer they were in, try to be as consistent as possible.

Donitab likes this.
  9. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the copy and paste @Cherylndesigns ;)

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? No.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) I keep everything on my phone - calendar, lists, etc. I also have a whiteboard calendar for our family and a paper calendar in my kitchen so I can see dates while on a call.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes, on my phone
    4) Is your house organized? No. It's been a hot mess since we moved to this house five years ago. I'm a work in progress...
    5) Are your computer files organized? Somewhat. I need to organize all photos by month but they're organized by year.

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? Don't take anything from anyone that you weren't planning on purchasing yourself.

Karen, Donitab and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? I always did before I had kids, and I still feel that I have the capacity and attempt to be, but I've gotten a lot more easygoing since I share my house with several other people. My own spaces that no one else uses are organized.

2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Yes, I have been using a digital calendar -- Apple/Google -- exclusively for over 2 years now. Love the convenience of digital, though it took me until just recently to figure out that I can still use Apple Calendar with Google Calendar. I had started out with Apple but when I wanted to share a calendar with my husband, I thought I had to switch to Google completely. I like the look and function of Apple Calendar better so I was so excited to get them to work together.
    Prior to digital, for 7 years, I had a favorite 6"x9" spiral weekly calendar that was awesome, and they still sit on my shelf, although a couple years ago I photographed them all for digital backup and will probably throw them away when I move into a less spacious home. Longer ago, as far back as high school in the 1980's, I used a variety of other calendars, including ones I designed and printed myself and still have in my three ring binder scrapbooks.

3) Are you a list maker? Not a lot. I use the Apple Reminders app. My To Do list has about 50 items on it, some dating back a few years. I do often use it for being reminded of things at a certain time, using an alarm. For example, I have a reminder set to pop up every Sunday to look at the TLP Learning Pad, and I use it to remind me of TLP chats. I use the grocery list a lot, throughout the week and every time I go to the grocery store. Actually, not just for groceries, I titled it simply, "Get." If I'm not able to add something to it when my family mentions we're out of something or they want something, I tell them to text me; then I'll add it to the list later. I have a separate list titled "Far Away Reminders" for things like noticing the coolness of the date Tuesday February 2, 2022, remembering when my Curiosity Stream subscription ends, planning for the next total solar eclipse coming in 2024, and reminding my kids about their time capsule they want to open in 2024.

4) Is your house organized? Somewhat. There's an underlying organization but we're casual about maintaining it. See Question 1.

5) Are your computer files organized? Very much so. Not perfectly. But as I said in 1, my own personal spaces are organized. I've had a system for naming and filing photos since 2002 that I have maintained. I have folders for many topics of documents and files I like to save, such as receipts, saved emails, my kids' homeschool stuff, funny and inspirational memes or cartoons or quotes, etc. My digistash is weird because from 2007 to around 2011 I broke apart every kit I ever bought and organized by type and color (papers, ribbons, word art in categories, alphas, etc). Then I started working on designer and store teams and keeping kits together. I think I had top level folders by store, with subfolders for designers, and now with 2 systems it was getting messy. I think I made some effort to put some kits back together but I've forgotten. In 2015 I became devoted to TLP and have largely ignored all the old stuff (though I do like a lot of it and mean to use it, and occasionally do). I just put all my TLP stuff in a folder together, so it's in order by designer name, then kit name.

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? I think that saying, A place for everything and everything in its place is so well known for good reason. When we always put away things in the same place, it saves time and is easy because we don't have to think about it. And putting things away right away and regularly keep things from getting messy and overwhelming.
    On another note, I definitely think digital organization is easier and more convenient than paper, and I've slowly been evolving to use less and less paper, making great progress! I save very little paper that I receive. I photograph it and save it in my journal.

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? For the most part, yes, very
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) I do, I have a home planner and work planner
    3) Are you a list maker? Lots and lots of lists!
    4) Is your house organized? For the most part yes, clutter drives me insane!!!
    5) Are your computer files organized? Very! I'm a little obsessive about it.

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? Don't walk by stuff that needs to be picked up or put it away. Take the extra few seconds to do it. Now to convince my family :giggle

jk703 and Donitab like this.
  12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

YES! Everythign in our home has a place!

I keep a calendar on my phone & a big paper one in the kitchen that is basically our life!

3) Are you a list maker?
    Oh yeah- lists of lists!

LOL- YES! Although I'm always trying to find better systems

99%yes- always that darn downloads folder full of stuff...

Don't make piles- just put things where they belong the first time, so you don't have to go back & do it again later. and... watch the new netflix Organization with the Home Edit show- LOVE them!

13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

yes, but honestly am trying to back off that truck! I want to be more relaxed and enjoy life as it comes
    I do, a bullet journal now for 5 years, the system works for me. Prior I used a purse sized calendar and notebook for lists.
    3) Are you a list maker?
    I am, but it goes in either my bullet or Alexa
    It is, and my goal is to minimize more and more, so the organization is obvious.
    they are, and in multiple places

Set days and times. When I get off those days, I get out of wack
    Monday mornings, I do
    look at calendar and see what the week holds
    a quick update of bills and finances
    check for appointments-upcoming for the week.
    I also get to see my grands on this day! woot
    This is my main cleaning day, and laundry.
    Tuesdays-Therapy for my boys are all on this day.
    WED-Church that evening, so try to keep that open
    THURSDAY-This is supposed to be my open day...
    one son does laundry
    FRIDAYS are the only day I have doctor's appointments

yada yada

Grocery Pick up is a life saver!

Donitab likes this.
  14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Other people consider me organized, I'm not sure if I consider myself organized ;)
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) Yes, literally every minute of my work day is planned out. There is less rigor around my personal life, but I have a system in place.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes
    4) Is your house organized? I think that may depend on what your definition of organized is, lol. I would say I'm more organized than the average person, but not in the top 10%.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes. I have a very specific methodology.

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? Not a tip per se, but just general advice. There is a healthy balance with organization. I've seen people spend so much time on organization, they don't actually enjoy the items/time they are organizing. I feel like my organization process is "good enough" for me ...

Karen likes this.
  15. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Not really
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?)Yes, this year I bought one and even though I'm not great at using it (and lots of stuff gets moved from day to day because I haven't done it yet - maybe I'm a procrastinator) it has helped me get more stuff done and kinda' stay on track.
    3) Are you a list maker? absolutely! I love the larger, lined post its. I put a lot of those with lists in my planner.
    4) Is your house organized? Kinda' sorta. There is a place for most things - maybe I should just throw the rest away.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes. I have to go through every now and then and do some moving around, but for the most part, when I download something, I put it in the right place.
    Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? Organization must be maintained. Schedule in some time to go over your organization and make sure things are where they are supposed to be. And if something is working for you - don't be afraid to change it. If it's not working, you won't maintain it.

16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes, generally I get things done on time and know where everything is.
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) I have a paper diary that all my scrapping Ct stuff goes into. My personal life gets tracked on google calendars on my phone.
    3) Are you a list maker? Yes, in my diary and phone and paper scraps for my shopping list.
    4) Is your house organized? Mostly, yes. The kids have dominion over their stuff so that isn't my responsibility.
    5) Are your computer files organized? Yes, files grouped as I use them, in rainbow order and then by store, designer, kit, templates etc.

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? is 'kinda' an answer? if so, kinda!
    2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) there's a wall calendar and my phone calendar for appointments and who needs to do what and go where (we obviously used the wall calendar a lot less up until recently this year)
    3) Are you a list maker? totally; i have a notepad full of them
    4) Is your house organized? i try, but i'm outnumbered and it all feels pointless! :hissy:ignore:imok
    5) Are your computer files organized? Again, kinda - i'm more organized now since i moved laptops but i haven't backed up the end of Aug and any of Sept's stuff yet - i know, i know ...

Bonus: Any tips to share on staying organized? not sure if it's qualifies as a tip but avoid living with people that don't value or contribute to household organisation or come home from the shops with more tupperware all the time when there's no extra space to store it (marie Kondo would be hitting her head against the wall!)...and if you value your sanity, also avoid creating little people if you want to avoid being that mum that has to yell after asking a dozen times and getting nowhere - all else fails, music, deep breathing :lalala etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Karen likes this.
  18. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

probably, simply because I have to be from the point of view of a medical carer, but I get too exhausted to organise everything that's not important.
    There's a calendar on the wall so everyone can put appointments or events on.
    I have a birthday calendar on my laptop so I don't miss any family birthdays.
    3) Are you a list maker?
    when I need to
    each room has developed separate uses and the stuff related to those uses ins in the relevant rooms (not necessarily tidy mind you) - I guess that counts as organised?
    yes, can't find anything otherwise, and I have my digiscrap supplies tagged.

do enough to keep your life low stress and make tasks easier, but not enough that you stress out getting and keeping it organised.

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

1) Do you consider yourself to be an organized person? Yes, even if my organization doesn't make sense to anyone else! Ha ha!

2) Do you keep a planner/calendar? (Digital or paper or something else?) YES! Each of us in the family have our own Google Calendar and everything goes in there.

3) Are you a list maker? Yes! I love to make list... just so I can cross things off.

4) Is your house organized? Sorta? I mean I know where everything is, even if it's not perfectly tidy.

5) Are your computer files organized? Most definitely. Again, maybe only to me, but I can find everything easily.

20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

If you throw them into Lightroom, it will organize them by year, month, and day for you--- no moving needed. Because of that, I have organized my photos into folders based on topic, i.e. Holidays, then Christmas, or Easter, or Thanksgiving, etc. I have a lot of topic folders. The trick though is when a photo overlaps multiple topics, like a photo with the cat and with the dog, knowing where to put it and knowing where I will look for it next time. I usually pick one of the topics and hope for the best. I can usually find most photos pretty quickly using a combo of dates and topics.

umyesh likes this.