September Monthly Muse Week #2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Rachel Jefferies, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Hi there :)

Welcome to Week 2 of the Monthly Muse Challenges!

This week we are keeping with Barbaras fun theme of creating our pages or projects from video inspiration :beat

I had a little spare time this week and recorded a time lapsed video of a collage/art journal page that I created in my Junk Journal. Please note that until both of my little ones are at school I don't have the luxury of filming during the day so I got the video quality as best as I could, I hope it's okay. Filming is still new to me so I'm trying to perfect my technique with the set up that I have available to me at home! :photo

Have a little watch of the video, and then check further down the post for your challenge and some 'take - aways' that we can use in our Muse Pages this week :idea2

1.rjefferies-her head was spinning-vid.jpg

Your challenge is to incorporate collage into your page or project somewhere. Editing this after a question from Sharon, you can absolutely create an all digital page. This isn't a hybrid, or tangible art journal challenge, just create as you normally would!

According to the google dictionary the definition of collage is a piece of art made by sticking various different materials such as photographs and pieces of paper or fabric on to a backing. A collection or combination of various things.

Your Collage doesn't have to be the whole page like mine is, but could be a small collaged area behind, or on top of a photo, or covering just part of the page etc.

Some 'take - aways' from the video that may inspire you further:
    • If a blank page scares you, don't start with a blank page. You might have noticed that I already had a collaged background when I started. I create my Junk Journals from scrappy bits of paper, or unfinished works. When I'm working on other projects I'll often use leftover scraps of paper and glue them down somewhere, or I'll wipe off dirty brushes and fingertips or stencils onto other papers. These papers with random bits glued onto them, or random paint or stencil marks will be the start of a new art journal page. A starting point . . a jumping off point. Have a look through your stash of Mixed Media Papers and see what ready made or painted papers you could use as a starting point.
    • You don't have to include journaling, but if you do, and want to go personal like I do, it doesn't have to be legible and heck you can rip in half and glue it to different areas of the page like I did :hi5. I also like to journal and then write over the top of it so if I want to share my art online or anyone in the future sees my journal they won't know what the heck I wrote about :hehe
    • Limiting your supplies can help if you feel overwhelmed. I had just some stickers and tape, some scrappy bits of collage fodder and a limited colour palette. Just a few sticks of ink, one tube of paint, a watercolour pencil, a glue stick and a little ink watered down to create a wash.
    • If you struggle with random, and don't know where to start, start collecting a few things that resonate with how you are feeling right now. I chose a piece of paper to journal on that was titled Friday (as I was creating on a Friday!), some old stamps with a castle on them as there was a funny story in our house that day about my Son and a castle, and I really wanted to feel connected and calm, so I knew I wanted lots of leaves and foliage.
    • I cut up some book paper and made little mini sentences or quotes that resonated with me, that could be a starting point for your page. Look to your stash of word bits and cut them and re-arrange them into new quotes or word bits to suit your current mood.
    • If you don't like something, just paint over it or stick more paper over it, that's what I do and it makes for lush layers :-)
    • Have FUN :cool:
    Her head was Spinning Collage Spread

2.rjefferies-her head was spinning-journal.jpg

3.rjefferies-her head was spinning-journal.jpg

"You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to September 30th, 2020 EST and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines)."

A little freebie for you, if you need a few collage bits, you don't have to use them though!

4.rjefferies-her head was spinning-freebie.jpg

Barbara @Sokee created this gorgeous page using my collage/process as inspiration!

week2600.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    n33, mcurtt, ajm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the freebie @Rachel Jefferies. I'll watch your video in the morning after mine are at school.

Rachel Jefferies and Sokee like this.
  3. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Ooooooo, exciting......can't wait to see the video!!!!

Update: @Rachel Jefferies thanks for the video.....excited to create this collage and it helped me with some ideas for my scrap journals! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Rachel Jefferies and Sokee like this.
  4. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

May we do all digital? & Thanks for the video and freebie!

5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Thanks so much for the freebie.
    Loved watching the tutorial video too.

6. Rachel Jefferies

Yes, i'll tweak my opening post to avoid confusion, it's not a tangible or hybrid challenge, just create how you would normally :)

7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Hi Rachel!!! Your video is so inspiring to watch! Thank you so much for the extra goodies too!
    [​IMG]

mcurtt and ajm like this.
  8. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the video and freebie! You are so inspiring, you make me want to get my gluebook out. :-)

redplaid3 likes this.
  10. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

11. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

Awesome video @Rachel Jefferies - it totally inspired me to add date stamps in random spots, something I think I will carry over into my physical journaling.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

mcurtt, ajm and tania like this.
  12. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge, video and freebie!

[​IMG]

mcurtt, ajm and tania like this.
  13. Rachel Jefferies

You’re welcome :-):agree

Angela Toucan likes this.
  14. Rachel Jefferies

Can’t wait to see and fun that I inspired you with your other journal too :-)

15. Rachel Jefferies

You’re welcome :-)fab job on your collage, I love that is a big one! And so colourful :agree

StefanieS likes this.
  16. Rachel Jefferies

Aww thank you, I love that you made a page and I love how you’ve layered your bits, the face and the words, gorgeous use of white space too :beat

17. Rachel Jefferies

Wowsa I love the colour blocking and placement of elements and the contrasting black is gorgeous, fab job!

18. Rachel Jefferies

I love how the foliage dominates and on second glance I saw the little face peeking at the bottom

19. Rachel Jefferies

I love that you’ve painted your background, used a limited colour palette and your layering is great! Fun that you’re inspired to date your pages and projects in different ways too :heartlub

Claire Grantham likes this.
  20. Rachel Jefferies

So beautiful!! The intensity of the colour paper and the contrast of the black looks so good and that bird is so pretty :)

Dady likes this.