Moving | Pad Patter 9.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 3, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I came across some interesting articles recently about moving.

One said that on average, Americans live 18 miles from their mom (with the Western states being high at 44 miles, and the East low at 8 miles).
    I also read two different studies, from two different years and companies, that quoted 54% (and 72%) Americans live near or in the city they grew up in. Of those that moved, 30% live in the same state they grew up in.

All these facts made me wonder, what about international? And were the surveys truly representative?

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom?
    Do you live in the same state?
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in?

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done?

AJK likes this.
  2. bestcee

I am not the typical American by these stats.

I do not live within 18 miles of either mom. I don't live in the same state as either set of parents.
    I consider the city I grew up in to be one of two - and I don't live in or near either of them!

The longest move I did as a kid was Oregon to Michigan and Ontario to British Columbia. They were about the same distance. As an adult, it was Utah to Boston, Massachusettes.

3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom? Umm, I live the closest I can to my mum.....probably about 20 steps away within the same house!
    Do you live in the same state? For now we do....99% chance due to cost of living, once I have a job I won’t be in the same area. My mum always knew that was a real possibility but it’s only recently where other family members have accepted that fact.
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Lived in the same city for all but 3 months or so of my life.

bestcee likes this.
  4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Nope, more like 750 miles.

No. (That would have to be an awfully big state. :lol)

Again, no. I wanted away from harsh winters so I moved as far south as I could.

That 750-ish miles from my home town in Illinois to the Dallas, TX area when I got my first real job after college. The shortest move was the 6 miles we moved from our apartment to the house we had built 4½ years later, where we've lived ever since. :)

Angela Toucan and bestcee like this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? No.
    Or your partner's mom? You're kidding, right? :giggle
    Do you live in the same state? Same state as my parents/ILs? No. No family is within 150 miles--a cousin recently moved to the East Coast, though we haven't gotten together yet (and 2020 isn't the year that'll happen, apparently.) Besides her, no relative is closer than 500 or 600 miles.
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Nope. Not even the same part of the country. My college was more than 18 miles from my childhood home. (College itself was farther than that but my apartment was about 20 miles.) And I never moved back home after college ... oh, but full disclosure: my dad owned my college apartment building, so technically I was still "on his property," but I wasn't at home. Heck, he'd stop by the building and wouldn't even come up to say Hi! I'd wave if I happened to see him leaving the lot! But did I live with my parents? Nope. I wasn't in the same city as my childhood home, which they still live in BTW.
    And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? 1,300 miles. Shortest was ~700 feet.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes. I live 1.8 miles from my mom and 17.4 miles from my dad. I live 2.9 miles from my mother-in-law.

I live 11.2 miles from my sister Anna. My other siblings live in Birmingham, AL, Savannah, GA, and Tampa, FL.

I should also mention that I have first cousins, second cousins, third cousins, aunts, uncles, great-aunts, great-uncles that live around me as well as some of Jay's family.

Yes

Yes. I've never lived outside this town. It's unincorporated, so people call it a city or a town, but it's really a suburb of Pensacola.

8.6 miles.

I've moved a total of 7 times in a very small area. I looked this up on Google maps and it cracks me up.

The first time, I moved 0.7 miles (from my mom's house to my dad's - age 13-18)
    The second time, I moved 7.7 miles (from my dad's house to a rental house - age 18-19)
    The third time, I moved 3.1 miles (from the rental house to the house he built - age 19-22)
    The fourth time, I moved 8.6 miles (from the house my dad built to an apartment - age 22-23)
    The fifth time, I moved 2.3 miles (from the apartment to my mom's house - age 23)
    The sixth time, I moved 4.1 miles (from my mom's house to the trailer Jay & I bought - age 23-25)
    The seventh, and last time, I moved 3.3 miles (from the trailer to the house Jay & I bought - age 25 to present)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Lisa B, Karen, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Close, about 30 or so miles, depending on the way you get there. Family is all over NJ too.
    Or your partner's mom? Nope. She is South and I'm in the Northeast!
    Do you live in the same state? Yes, never left.
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Yes. I'm about 25 miles from there.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? Pry about 50 miles or so, in college.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Yes, when she was still alive we lived in the same house.
    Do you live in the same state? See above.
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Yes, my parents built this house in 1964. I left for 10 years and moved back in with them when they were retirement age. I watched the house when they did the snowbird thing in Florida every winter. Both sets of grandparents also lived in the same town. I love my "bubble" and have changed my mind about leaving it even though I had planned to after retiring.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? I moved to college 90 miles away and lived in 4 different apartments in the same area after graduation. Then I moved the 90 miles back home.

9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom?
    I live about 6 miles from my parents. That was the biggest reason I moved back in 2015 -- so that they could help me with the kids.

Yes... although we live close enough to the state line (it's less than 2 miles from my house) that I could live in Michigan and still be less than 18 miles from their house.

I live in the next city over but they're all within the same county and you wouldn't be able to tell where one ended and another began except for the "Welcome to [City Name]" sign.

In July 2015, we moved 1100 miles from Indianapolis to Cheyenne, WY... and then back across those same 1100 miles in November 2015. Loooong story & even longer drive. :P I also moved from Atlanta, GA to IN when I was a baby & temporarily from Indy to Richmond, VA as a 20-something. I know this is where I'm supposed to be for now but I would be interested in moving south where there is less snow & more mountains when the kids are HS/college age (10 years from now).

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I feel a little bad I broke the chain of native born San Diegans. I was born there, my mom was, and her mom too, in 1923. But in 2000 my husband’s parents invited him to work in their business, requiring a 3000 mile move over to Virginia. We still live in the same house. But his parents have moved back to California.

My Mom fits your survey better. She is still living within 18 miles of where she grew up. My parents still live in the house in which I grew up, too.

My cross country move is the only out of state move. And I barely moved before that. I moved from my parents’ house to my husband’s bachelor pad 200 miles north, and the we soon found ourselves an apartment in Glendale (L.A. county) just about 15 miles away.

We will be moving again someday. Neither of us want to stay in this house. But it’s a big mystery where that will be because both of us are looking for our next careers and willing to move.

Lisa B and bestcee like this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

these stats do not represent me at all.

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? no, once I moved out I never lived within 18 miles of my mom. Or your partner's mom? no
    Do you live in the same state? nope
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? no - never lived in the same town that I grew up in.

what's the longest move you've ever done? grew up in NJ and moved to CA for a few years.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Funny you should ask. We just moved from Florida to Oklahoma. Whew! It was quite a trip and we actually ended up driving through Hurricane Laura! That was unplanned, of course - Laura blew in a day before it was predicted, so we drove right through it in Mississippi.

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom? No. My mom has passed away, but we moved away many years ago.
    Do you live in the same state? No
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? No - I was born in Indiana and spent many years there. We got transferred to Michigan in 1985 and stayed there until we moved to Florida.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? We moved from Michigan to Florida, then from Florida to Oklahoma.

Lisa B and AJK like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Yes, I live about 7 miles from my mom and the house they built when I was 16. Or your partner's mom? Both my in-laws are deceased, but no, they lived in northwest IN, an hour or so from Chicago and 10 hours from here.
    Do you live in the same state? Yes
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Same city where I've spent the biggest part of my life.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? I guess when we moved from here to Atlanta and back when I was a little girl. My dad was in Pharmacy school there.

In my childhood/school age - First house was here, 1972 moved to Atlanta, 1974 moved back, 1976 moved to Virginia, 1978 moved back, 1981 moved to a different house here that my parents built and mom still lives in.
    I moved to northern WV to college for one year, and eastern VA to college for 4 years. After college, lived in an apt here and then to the house I am in now. I've lived in this house almost 30 years, longest I've ever lived anywhere lol.
    My next move will be south, hopefully within the next 5 years, out of the snow and cold to live out my days by the beach.

14. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? No- 90 miles from my parents. Or your partner's mom? No, we are about 700 miles from DH's hometown where his mom still lives.
    Do you live in the same state? We live in the state where I grew up (Alabama) but 16-hour drive from where my husband grew up (Nebraska.)
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in?I live about 45 miles from the town I grew up in until high school, but my parents moved away from there back in 1990. Currently, my parents are about 90 miles away, but this is the closest we've ever lived to them.
    I think my biggest move would be when we moved from Fredericksburg, VA (halfway between D.C. and Richmond VA) back to north Alabama. I didn't move around much until getting married to hubby in 1997. He was active duty Navy at the time, so after the wedding I moved from the Birmingham, AL area to Pensacola, FL. We were transferred to Norfolk, VA, where we lived for 5 years, then he got out of the Navy and we moved to the DC area for a few months before buying a home in Fredericksburg. We lived there for another 5 years, then his company had an opening at the office here and we were excited to move back closer to family and away from his awful commute of 1.5 hours each way on a good day.

15. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? My mom is deceased, but I live just a few miles from her last home. Or your partner's mom? Divorced, but my former MIL is also deceased.

Do you live in the same state? Yes. When my XDH was in the army we lived in Germany, then in Maryland but I've spent most of my life here in Northern Virginia.

Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Yes. I've lived in my parents' "started home" for the last 31 years. When I was born my parents were living with my paternal grandparents while Dad (newly separated from the army) attended law school. After he graduated we moved to my current home. We lived here for 4-5 years, then moved back into my grandparents' larger home b/c they'd moved into an apartment. The two homes are 3 miles from each other. My father's current home (he sold the family home to my sister a few years after my mother's death) is just over 2 miles from my home.

16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom?Or your partner's mom? About 6 miles from my mom.
    Do you live in the same state? Yes
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? No. Different state entirely.
    And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? Moved about 750 miles from FL to NC.

bestcee likes this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We used to live a lot of miles away from both. However my parents moved up to live closer to us all a few years ago. They live in the northern outskirts of town, we live in the centre.

Adjusting the question to the UK
    I've lived most of my life in England, although I lived in Wales for 3 years. Back in England again now, but fairly close to the Welsh border. I love Wales.

I grew up all over the place, as my dad was in the military. I don't live close to any of the places I lived in as a child.

Lisa B likes this.
  18. bestcee

As someone who is well aware that my husband's mom will end up living with us at some point...Nope! Not kidding at all.

That's hilarious! I love that he ignored you were his child. I guess he didn't want anyone think he was playing favorites?

This made me remember college. I moved from the apartment to the dorm. That was probably a little more than 700 feet, but not much!

That is funny! I love how all your moves are so tiny.

That's pretty close!

What changed your mind?

19. bestcee

That's the reason listed that most live near parents - help with kids.

That seems unfair! They moved you out, then left you there?

They don't me either. Which is why I asked. I was interested to see if I was the anomaly.

Oh my! I'm glad you are safe! Did your move go okay?

I like that you have plans to leave the city and hit the beach!

michelepixels likes this.
  20. bestcee

That's an awful commute!

Did you buy it from them? Or did someone else live in it in between?

Me too. Well, my dad was a farmer not in the military. But when I turned 20, I figured out I'd lived in 20 different houses, 2 countries, and a bunch of states. We lived in one town for about 4 years, so that always is the one I pick as a "childhood town".

Angela Toucan likes this.