Technique Slow Scrap | Saturday Aug 29 @11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Aug 29, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

TIPS FOR REALISTIC LOOKING WASHI TAPE

Hi...thanks for joining me today. I can't believe summer break is over...my kids started school last week and I'm back to work. On one hand, it feels like just yesterday, it was spring break and on the other, it's been the longest summer break ever! Oh...wait...COVID. LOL

Anyways, today we are discussing tips for realistic looking washi tape.

1. Make your own washi tape

You can make your own washi tape as simply clipping a paper to a rectangle. Sure...there's more too it, but if you want a quick and easy matching tape, this is the way to go.

Here I used the same photo and zoomed in to the scarf to match the tape to it.

[​IMG]

2. Lower the opacity of the washi tape

Usually washi tape is generally a bit see-through. Most designers will lower the opacity of the washi, but if you're making your own, make sure you lower the opacity
    [​IMG]

3. Lower to opacity of the drop shadow

Sometimes the drop shadow is overwhelming and really takes away from the look of the washi tape. If you lower the opacity of the drop shadow, it helps tremendously. I usually use the shadow like me from OLB and use the shadow for vellum, but even then, I reduce the opacity of the shadow.

[​IMG]

4. Dodge and Burn baby, Dodge and Burn

When you use tape in real life, it is 3D as it will stick differently to the background than to the photo. Use Dodge and Burn to add some 3D effects. I usually dodge the highlights of where the tape sticks to the background and burn the midtones/shadows of the part that sticks to the top most layer.

[​IMG]

5. Tilt the tape a bit

I don't know about you, but when using washi tape in real life, I can NEVER put tape down exactly straight! I'm always off a little bit. So I gave it a little tilt.

[​IMG]

HERE IS A LINK TO CHERYL'S TUTORIAL ON SHADOWING WASHI TAPE:

ONE LITTLE BIRD HAS A TUTORIAL HERE: http://onelittlebirddesigns.com/2012/01/digital-washi-tap/

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN WASHI BUT *MUST BE ABLE TO SEE A WASHI TAPE IN WHICH YOU HAVE ALTERED IT IN SOME WAY*

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I threated this as a speed scrap, so I am done. Made the 2 main tapes, ( on the photo ) and shadow work with the methods you showed us. It was fun, Thanks
    [​IMG]

3. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the technique tips and the chat.
    [​IMG]

5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this tecchnique !

[​IMG]

6. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the tutorial Farrah!

[​IMG]

flowersgal and Vrielinkie like this.
  8. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

flowersgal likes this.
  9. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the awesome tutorial and the fun scrap.
    I used a tape included in Li Li's kit, and I also did steps 3, 4 and 5.
    [​IMG]

10. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the chat, tips, and links. I made the elephant washi and dodge, burned, and skewed both tapes.
    [​IMG]

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I kept my layout simple. :-)

[​IMG]

12. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tutorial. I used the cushion from photo to make the tape.
    [​IMG]

13. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I used a piece of paper from the kit to make my tape, and did all the tricks, opacity, shadowing, dogde & burn...love the tutorial!

[​IMG]

14. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Sorry I Missed The Tutorial...But I Was Intrigued By This Challenge...I Had To Find A Little Bit Of A Work Around In PSE...But Hopefully I Did This Correctly...I Took A Piece Of My Bohemian Lady:Emily's Denim Jacket...To Create My Wasi Tape...

*I Had Fun! Creating My Layout...My Bohemian Lady Is Named Emily...Hence The Letter "E"...But It Also Stands For Every Day...Each & Every Day...She Is A Bit Of A Throwback Sort Of Lady...As You Can See By Her Cool! & Retro Red/Orange Phone!...That She Is Rather Proud Of! & Likes To Chat On With Her Many Friends!...She's A Poet...A Teacher & A Singer!...She Loves To Work In Her Beautiful! Garden Of Flowers!...Surrounded By Her Chirping & Singing Garden Birdies!...With Flowers In Her Hair!...Sporting Her Favorite Fashion Accessory!...Her Go-To Denim Jacket!...Which Has Solved A Host Of Fashion Faux-Pas!...She Is A Lover Of Fashion!...A Collector Of Shoes!...And A Jewelry Creator Too!...As You Can See By Her Matching Dangle Earrings & Her Necklace!..[That I Created Using PRD's Scatter Beads...]...Lots Of Fun!...She Is Proud To Be Doing Her Own Thing!...And Proud To Be Herself!...Hence The WA...."BE"...Be You!...Be Happy!...Be Joyful!....Be Kind!...Be Thankful!...Be Grateful!...Be Who & What You Want To Be!...Be Proud Of Who You Are!...Or Perhaps Who You've Become...Of Be Proud Of The Work In Progress That You May Be Too!...Either Way...JUST BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

*For My Be-You-Tiful You Layout-I Used:

*Exhale-Bundle-Pink Reptile Designs
    *Exhale-Templates-Template #1-Pink Reptile Designs
    *Brave New World-Artsy Style+Bevel-NBK Design
    *Delightful-PT-Color Style Overlay-Style 115-NBK Design
    *Imagine-PT-Styles-Color Overlay-NBK Design
    *Strength Of A Woman-Color Overlay-NBK Design

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  15. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thank you Farrah for the tutorial and the break you have given me from moving. lol I have regained some of my serenity!:heartslub
    [​IMG]

16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for all the different techniques Farrah! Sorry I didn't make the chat :-| busy Saturday! I made my own washi tape from a journal card, lowered it's opacity, used dodge/burn on the tape, and tilted the tape.
    [​IMG]

17. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

18. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Probably not in time (I can never tell), I loved the tip to create my own washi from the photo.

[​IMG]

19. Sharon-Dewi

Sharon-Dewi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lovely challenge! I used some papers from the kit I used for my layout to create custom matching washi tapes and followed the steps from great the instructions. I will definitely use this technique more often!

[​IMG]

20. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member