in the words of others | Pad Patter 21 Aug

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 20, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So in one of those 'Seriously?!' moments this week, DS somehow, in grabbing his toothbrush etc before school, managed to pull one of the bathroom cupboard doors right off one of it's hinges. Pulled the hinge right through the melamine (or whatever that compressed wood stuff is that makes up the sides of flat pack style bathroom cabinets) so it couldn't be reattached and was just hanging on a diagonal from the bottom hinge.
    The amount of force required to do that, DH and I are completely baffled but DS is our 'destroyer' - any hand-me-down toys from his sister he would always break usually within minutes, or if he hasn't accidentally broken it within minutes, he has inherited the 'must pull it apart' gene that engineers apparently have (DH is an engineer and from what I've heard from wives, partners, mothers and friends of other engineers, this is a common behavioural trait they share! 'Must see what is inside this thing'. If only I'd known this before!).

Anyway, this is all leading me to today's topic i promise, bare with me.
    So I often say to the kids 'Shut the door, you weren't born in a tent. I know, because I was there". The first time I said this, I had one of those 'that's my mum's phrase! i think i just became her" moments and freaked out a bit. So after DS broke the door off and DH lamented that that won't just go back in, and he & I despondently left the bathroom, I heard DD say to brother "Well at least mum can't tell you to 'shut the cupboard door, you weren't born in a tent' anymore!"

So congrats if you made it this far! Are there any phrases or moments you have channelled someone else and heard their words come out of your own mouth, OR have you heard your words come out of your child's mouth?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

If you mean "have my kids repeated my phrases," nothing springs to mind except swear words so I'll just mosey on out of this thread. :giggle

keepscrappin and bellbird like this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

When my son started getting into everything as a toddler, I would say he was ransacking everything. His sister, two years older than him, started saying it too but she'd say "ram attacking" instead of ransacking haha it was the best! It's on my list of memories to scrap :)

Karen likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha that IS the best!!

umyesh likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My now 9 year old grandson lived with us for a long time and pretty much repeated everything I said. One of the things I say when I'm frustrated (usually at something I'm doing on the computer is "Aw, c'mon" - well, first time I heard him say that I about lost it. Another favorite of mine is "don't even THINK about it". He started saying that to the dog. Haha There are many more if I could just think of them offhand. It just sounds so funny coming out of their mouths.

bellbird, umyesh and Karen like this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

"I brought you into the world and I can take you out again" - My mom to me and yes, me to the middle one.
    "in the fridge behind the carrots" said by my aunt when we (my cousins and I ) were looking for something. I use that for my kids too, as well as "hanging on my eyelash playing Tarzan" which is hated by them all.

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

oh sadly I’ll admit to this one ^. I’ve jokingly said it to my kids just like my mom used to say to us.

I’ve also said “shut the door, you weren’t raised in a barn!” like my mom.

when my kids sleep in I sing “lazy Mary won’t you get up, won’t you get up, won’t you get up!” just like my mom did when we were young.

Off hand I can’t think of anything I say that my kids say but i’m sure there’s something other than, “dang and seriously”. I will say that my girls sound like me on the phone. My hubby is always getting us confused and even friends say they sound like me. Hopefully that’s a good thing. :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The first one I remember being shocked about repeating was when Olivia had a sleepover and they wouldn't go to bed. I hollered out, "GIIRRRLLLLLLLSSSSS" in the same tone of voice my mother used to use on me and my friends and cousins. LOL

Recently, I've repeated: "Don't do something half-ass." My mother NEVER cursed, so when she said this to me and my sister, we about fell out of our chairs. Needless to say, it was an effective tool for getting us to do our work with excellence. We knew she was serious.

I don't think I've heard my children say any of my phrases unless they are poking fun at me, and not knee-jerk blurting out the phrase in true usage. Like our window A/C in the den/office is acting weird, and will totally freeze us out of the den. I always refer to extreme cold with the saying, "It's cold as a witch's titty." Olivia and Daniel think it's hilarious, so when it was cold again the other day, the asked me what is that you say about witches? LOL

bellbird likes this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

My parents always said "Spin around three times" when I couldn't find something. I say it to hubby and the girls. Sonnet is my mocking bird and will repeat all the things I say...whoops

bellbird likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I say "seriously" and "goodness gracious" a lot. Both from my family.

Plus my siblings and I just realized we all pause and go "Hmmm" after hearing or seeing something weird. We all did it in unison when we happened to be together a couple of weeks ago....my SIL pointed it out and we all laughed.

bellbird likes this.
  11. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

It's funny to hear my daughter say things to her kids only to look at me and say "I sound just like you".

bellbird likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:compcoffee These are all funny but I have never heard this saying, must be the lack of Halloween & witches over here :giggle

gonewiththewind likes this.