won't go back | Pad Patter 14 Aug

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 14, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think among techy & digiscrap people, a lot of us would have heard the phrase, "once you go Mac, you won't go back". In the photography world, the saying is "once you go manual, you won't go back", I went manual years ago and agree with that one, I'm not a Mac person but with the panic buying and product shortages, is there anything you tried that has been a game changer for you?

After having gone through our 'beggars can't be choosers' stash of whatever we could find that included such a wide range of toilet papers during the 'toilet paper crisis of 2020' and gone back to our normal 2ply recycled in the last few months, I'll admit I've been thinking "once you go 3 ply luxury, you don't want to go back". I didn't appreciate the 3ply as much when we 'upgraded' to it out of lack of options, but the step back down seems huge or at least a lot more noticeable :giggle

So fill in the blank for today & tell me something you've tried that was life altering (or more sarcastically life altering and really trivial :giggle)

AJK and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Once you go Kraft mac and cheese, you never go back (to store brand). Same with Graham crackers. They must be Honey Maid.

(Although, Justine, now you have me interested in 3-ply TP. IDK if I've ever had such a luxury. :giggle)

Unrelated from household goods...once you sleep in a separate bedroom from your spouse, you can never go back to sharing a bed.

3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Once you have an electric oven,you won't go back to a gas one (not in a hundred years )

bellbird likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

During the Pandemic we have not been to Costco since they don’t deliver or have curbside pick up. I ordered groceries from Safeway including tuna fish. I really like Costco’s albacore tuna so I was dismayed when I opened the can of tuna from Safeway. I swear it was cat food.

jk703 and bellbird like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I am brand loyal for some things..... Food and drink wise, Heinz ketchup is one, a local organic brand of canned spaghetti in tomato sauce is another (learnt that the other day when I had a store brand version instead), Diet Coke is another......cant stand Pepsi Max and that comes from someone who had to upsell Pepsi products when they were working. Most other things food or otherwise I’m a bargain hunter so best deal usually wins.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Carol, have you tried Costco.com? I know that we live too far from ours to get most groceries delivered, but we still can order non-perishables. Perhaps they have their tuna on the site? (Your "cat food" comment made me giggle, btw!)

bellbird and Iowan like this.
  7. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

we are brand loyal due to food allergies...it's even harder to change in a pandemic...but you learn you do sometimes go back. toilet paper is one of those. I am now a "hoarder" after battling to get tp for weeks at the beginning. It's the stress of it really. The anxiety I deal with is high already on a good day and fighting for the foods and essentials we needed was overwhelming. I order on walmart.com now when what I need is in stock and store it in the closet. We keep one or two extras of things we use routinely. I am not hoarding really but I do have a few extra things and I think my health entitles me to that. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if I could order any brand of a product and not worry about it. Most foods and brands contain my allergen, if not, then usually it contains one of my husband's.

I do agree once you switch to mac, you don't go back to PC. And same with manual on my camera. In fact, I have even started using manual sometimes with my iPhone.

We have stopped shopping at Target since the pandemic. It's a bit sad for me as I loved shopping there but I can't go in person and they absolutely suck online.

bellbird likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I can't think of anything new I've tried this year that will change a habit like that. I tried several hand soaps (and the usual store brand I had been buying for years is still out of stock) and there was one fancy organic brand that I have been loving for a couple months. It's lemon scented, and I LOVE lemons. But it's expensive so I will not be buying it as soon as I can buy the store brand again.

I can vouch for the "once Mac never go back" idea. I used PC computers from 1993 until 2011 when I got the iMac I still use today. I've pondered the possiblity of getting a PC for my next computer, but only because it could be cheaper. I have loved my Mac unlike I have ever loved a PC.

I also continue to shoot in manual when I use my DSLR ever since I learned how in 2012. I like that control. But as my interest in photography and camera technology change, I can see that changing. I've only picked up my DSLR, which is old like my computer and phone, only a few times this year.

bellbird likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nope, didn't try anything that I would change to. Country Crock was no where to be found so I had to try another brand. Hated it. Very glad when I could get my Country Crock again. I am now keeping an extra in the fridge because I use so much of it.

I guess what I have learned is that it is OK to have an extra in the cupboard for some products. Have always done that with TP and Kleenex and will continue to do so... had no problems with those items because of it.

No interest in a MAC. I prefer P mode to M mode on my camera.

bellbird likes this.
  10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Not quite the same but I've discovered several things shopping WalMart for pick up that I've never seen in the store. Two we love are Johnsonville Better Cheddar Sausages and Cleveland Classic Caraway Sauerkraut.

bellbird likes this.
  11. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

What hand soaps are you liking? We love Method and usually buy the customized scents that Target had. I have a leftover Hollyberry from Christmas and Marshmallow cloud just finished, which was my favorite. We can't find method soaps at all really and no organic brands but soaps are hard too since they put some of our allergens in them sometimes. I wish walmart would stock the halloween ones online. I would usually be buying those right now.

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Once you've had fresh made corn tortillas from a tortilleria, you'll never go storebought or yuck, gag, flour tortillas!!! Completely different flavor!!!

bellbird likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Just yesterday I placed my first ever on-line grocery store order. I pick it up tonight at 7. If all goes well (meaning I get what I ordered) then I think this will be a total game changer. I've been hesitant to try it because I tend to go with my list but there are always things I see that I forgot on my list. BUT if this works it will save me about and hour and a half each week and I'll be a little less tired after walking around for an hour pushing around a cart...sometimes 2 for our family!

Also, another thing that has been a game changer is Cozi. It's a calendar and list app that my family and I use. We can all have our calendars on their and have shared lists. I love it.

bellbird likes this.
  14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Funny, all this Mac vs PC. I tried using a Mac and hated it. I'm sold on PCs for life.

The only thing I can think of is this: Once you've had brownies made with King Arthur Flour's gluten-free brownie mix you'll never go back to anything mix again, GF or not.

I have a multitude of food allergies and intolerances that made my everyday eating a chore, let alone purchasing food from a restaurant or packaged goodies from a store. Most everything has to be made from scratch using certain ingredients. But the KAF GF brownie mix? AMAZING. My kids always wanted to eat "my" brownies when they said the Ghirardelli triple-chocolate brownies I made for them didn't taste as good. So, I'll never try another gluten-free brownie mix again, which is an easy choice for the others mostly taste like sawdust!

bellbird likes this.
  15. michelepixels

Only the one I mentioned above has made a good impression on me. My opinion of the others have all been neutral at best. Here, I found the one I've been loving online: https://rawsugarliving.com/our_products/simply-hand-wash-lemon-sugar/ I see they have a variety of products!
    [​IMG]
    It smells so good it makes me want to bake lemon bars. :love

bellbird and Kat like this.
  16. michelepixels

I have 3 jars of grapeseed oil Vegenaise -- my 16 year old's preferred mayo -- in the fridge because it was out of stock for several weeks. When it came back in stock, I bought a jar every week three weeks in a row to be safe. :lol

Memaw2Wm and bellbird like this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Amen sister!

And I was a PC user from the time they became available because the US Senate bought them for our use. I used them -through 3 jobs - for almost 20 years. When I retired and dh encouraged me to buy a Mac, I loved it from the git go and when I had to use a PC in volunteer work, I hated them and never had to go through any of the various Windows nightmares.

One thing I did try recently was Imperfect Produce every other week. It was good but I decided I could get the same quality of selections at Trader Joe's and pick what I wanted on the spot. I'm canceling IP this week. Now that I have a gas car not a diesel, I can go to Costco for fuel (lowest price all around) and will probably go back to buying the things I used to get there including butter (you cannot imagine how much butter dh eats and his cholesterol is low!), TP and some meats for bulk cooking. Fortunately there is another county's library, a TJ's and Costco all very near each other. I consider it my bi-weekly 20mile BIG excursion and thank god all stores are concerned with distancing and mask wearing.

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hmm... the first thing that popped in my mind was wine... once you taste really good red wine, it's hard to go back. BUT I can't afford the really good stuff, so I'll go on only drinking it when I go to my friends parents house who have a lovely fully stocked wine cellar in their basement and they INSIST we don't bring our own and drink theirs. Well... okay!

The other thing for me is once I went switched to a smartphone, I will NEVER be able to go back. I used to joke with my hubby that if I forgot my phone at home I wouldn't know where I was supposed to be. :giggle

Donitab, bellbird and jk703 like this.
  19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I learned that although my stash of toilet paper, paper towels and Kleenex was enough to get me through March-May (I was suppose to replenish the stash in March), it wasn't large enough to calm my "TP anxiety" ... so I'm working on building my stash to a new level.

I also learned that I prefer Charmin and Angel Soft to Cottonelle, although my fav continues to be Costco's Kirkland brand.

I normally have a stock of "1 open, 1 on the shelf" for staples like ketchup, dish soap, Miracle Whip, etc. But I've now upped my stock to 1 open, 2 on the shelf."

bellbird and HavaDrPepper like this.
  20. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I can also vouch for the "Once you go MAC, you never go back." I won a PC in a scrapping contest 7 years ago, and could not for the life of me figure out anything on it. I ended up giving it to my son-in-law, who loved it.

I used to have an induction cooktop, but now have a gas stove in my new house. I hate the gas stove and would love to go back to the induction if I could.

Luckily, I'm not picky about brand name groceries, except for a few. (Heinz Ketchup, for instance, is a must when you grow up in Pittsburgh)

I only wear Birkenstock shoes and sandals. Why mess with perfection? They are worth every penny.