Book Lovers | Pad Patter 8.9

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 9, 2020.

1. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

YEs, I love to read! There is nothing better than a good book to take your mind off your troubles! These days, I mostly read on my kindle. Have you heard of Bookbub? YOu can get lots of books for free. I also love using kindle unlimited. I mostly read romance, historical romance, or romance with a little suspense!

I might have to try the Outlander Series, @gonewiththewind. I've heard good things about it and I've never seen the tv show.

2. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I just finished reading this too and really enjoyed it. I know it didn't make it onto the Book Club to read list but I thought it sounded interesting and I'm so glad I read it.

I've been an avid reader all my life. I love mysteries, fantasies, sci-fi, thrillers and historical fiction. I'm currently just started The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. I always enjoy her novels and this one is quite different as its set in biblical times. I'm also reading The King of Shanghai by Ian Hamilton. He writes mysteries with a Chinese Canadian heroine sleuth!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    IntenseMagic and Tree City like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You will love Outlander.. SUPERB!

3BluEyedBabies likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

well... since I do all the posts for the "book club" here... I think it's safe to say I LOVE TO READ! :rofl

I have always loved to read. My mom taught me to read before I went to school by bribing me with a quarter for every book I finished from the library. She quickly had to stop that because we were putting her in the poor house. LOL! I thinks that's also why my sister is such a fast reader. Hee hee! I also used to spend all of my babysitting money on books. Now I'm a big cheapskate and will only read what I can get for free from Amazon or library, which generally isn't a problem. I'll never catch up with all the books I want to read. And, I'll read just about anything if it's well written and grabs my attention. That's why I love the book club here. I've found some really great books that way. :agree

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The show does depart from the books. It's good, but to me, nothing beats the books on this one. :)

3BluEyedBabies likes this.
  6. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I love to read too...but usually it's books with my kids. I'm always searching for good picture books and chapter books to read with my kids. We had a goal last year to read all of the Caldecott winner books. We weren't able to read all of them since we couldn't find them all but we got a good chunk of them read. My goal is to make avid readers out of all of my kids...so far it is working! ;) I literally just added about 30 chapter books to my bookshelf for my 9, 10 and 13 year old to read this year to go along with our school...and that doesn't include what I already had!

This year I have actually done more personal reading than I normally due. I think it has been due to covid and just a bit more time on my hands. I prefer non-fiction books.

Buying books is one of my favorite things...especially children's books.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I keep a digital journal (Day One) which has a tagging function. So now, whenever, I come across a book I think I'd like to read someday, I make an entry about it, sometimes including an image of the book cover, and I tag it "wanttoread." Now I can use that as a search term, pulling up all those entries, kind of like a list, whenever I'm searching for my next book.

p.s. Thank you for running the TLP book club!

edited to add: I meant to respond more directly to the quote. I used to feel discouraged by the fact there are too many books to possibly read them all. I've kind of accepted it now though. :)

Karen likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was not a reader at all until I was probably college age. I try to be more active on Goodreads, and then I just forget. I do go in and update my library from time to time and look at what others are reading for inspiration.

michelepixels likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

I am sometimes a really slow reader and then other times really fast. I do enjoy young adult as well.

umyesh likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

I had a Nook that I read on for a long time, until it just died...same with my iPad mini. I have a Kindle now and most of my library is there, but I do love the feel of a good book every now and then. My youngest loves WW2 era anything!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I didn't read at all until I was probably college age and I just have the hardest time with audio books. My mind wanders if I'm not focused on reading and then I have to go back and listen to stuff over and over.

12. IntenseMagic

Oooh yes!! I think that's next on my list!

cfile likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

Yes, that one is on my list as well. I hope to get to it soon!!

Tree City likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

I'm the same. I didn't love reading at all until sometime in college. I really need to try to read more, just set aside a few minutes for it.

15. IntenseMagic

The first books to suck me in were V.C. Andrews, starting with Flowers in the Attic. I have a lot of reading spurts as well, mostly because of work. My mother is an avid reader as well, she has huge full bookcases at her house.

16. IntenseMagic

Wow, I'm impressed that you can do more than one book at a time! I totally need to hit up the library more. I'm going to check out Scribd, thanks for the link!

busywoman139 likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

I love that you include a list of books on your blog! I've been looking for ways to update mine and this might be a good addition!!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Love all of those! I'm the same, every once in a while I splurge on a best seller or "hot" book, but only if it's an author or series that I absolutely adore!

jk703 likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

Ohhh I so understand! My focus is shot! I can't concentrate on much of anything these days!

Nemla likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

My mom used to get so frustrated when I was younger because I didn't love to read as much as she did. Funny story, I can remember sitting on my dad's lap with books about the time I started to figure out what the words were, but he would never read what the books said, he would always kind of paraphrase. In my little mind, I thought he just didn't know how to read :giggle but yet he had been to college! Years later, when I mentioned it to him, he confessed that he just didn't like to read.
    I am definitely suffering from the brain fog and lack of focus! That article is super interesting, thanks for sharing!!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.