Lynn Grieveson - July 2020 - Scrap an Old Photo Challenge

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mcurtt, Jul 1, 2020.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I want to thank everyone who shared their past. And also remind people that we have another couple of days before this challenge closes. So feel free to jump right in. :-)

2. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Hi... Have been meaning to get back to this challenge... Nothing like the last day!!! I have been working on Genealogy and old photos sporadically for a very long time... have an album where i am trying to create pages, at random, mostly about ancestors I actually know something about... My Grand father came to Canada on an Orphan Ship from Scotland... Someone here told me a long time ago, that like 80% of Canada's population comes from the orphan children... anyway, the orphanage he was placed in after his mother died, was a HUGE complex, like a small city! that still exists today, mostly as a storage place for genealogical records... I paid to have my grandfathers sent to me... A few years back they celebrated, a hundred years or some such milestone, and posted a huge amount of photos on the internet.. I grabbed a bunch of them, that I thought told the story... since my current goal is to get my grandfather scrapped onto a page, I had to start with the history of the orphanage... So I selected a bunch of photos and chose a couple of Lynn's templates, and have 2 pages started with this history.. tomorrow I will verify my facts, and get dates, but I am not sure what to post as the original photo, since I used over a dozen.... i will come back to this thread, to post....

OK... as promised a 2 page spread and a lot of history!

My Grandfather was placed in this orphanage as a very young child between the ages of 4-7, after his mother died. As a result he was one of the Orphan Children to come to Canada on the Orphan ships... He was adopted by the Hunter’s, relatives of the Quarriers in Canada. He was given the choice of keeping his name or taking theirs, and chose to keep his own.

[​IMG]
    William Quarrier was born in Greenock on 29 September 1829, but moved to Glasgow aged three following the death of his father and spent most of his childhood in poverty. Reflecting on his charitable acts in 1872, he accredited his philanthropy largely to these experiences:

"When a little boy, I stood in the High Street of Glasgow, barefoot, bareheaded, cold and hungry, having tasted no food for a day and a half, and, as I gazed at each passer-by, wondering why they did not help such as I, a thought passed through my mind that I would not do as they when I would get the means to help others"

At 17 he began work as a shoemaker after training as an apprentice. At this stage, he became a devout Christian. He soon owned a chain of shops and married Isabella Hunter, the daughter of his first employer. Quarrier fathered four children: Isabella, Agnes, Frank and Mary Quarrier.

Quarrier is best known for his charitable work. In 1871 he opened a night refuge for homeless children in Renfrew Street, Glasgow.

Then in 1876, using charitable donations, Quarrier began to build the Orphan Homes of Scotland on a piece of land now in Inverclyde and between the villages of Kilmacolm and Bridge of Weir, falling within the civil parish of the former. By the 1890s 'Quarrier's Village', as it is now known, was home to 34 cottages, a school, a church and a fire station. The village was home to up to 1,500 children at a time. Children in need could be housed in conditions close to a home environment. Each cottage housed up to thirty children under the care of a "father and mother". Children were taught self-reliance and were well educated in the village school.

From 1870 to 1936 the Orphan Homes of Scotland founded by William Quarrier participated in the British child relocation program sending more than 7,000 young people to Canada where they were employed, as farm labourers.

William Quarrier died on 16 October 1903. He is buried alongside his wife in the Mount Zion Church cemetery at Quarrier's Village.

His work continues through the social care charity Quarriers, which is still based at Quarriers Village.

[​IMG]As I said at the top, these images are from the internet , not mine, and I would not know which to choose to represent this, so not uploading a single photo... Hope that is OK...? Thank you for the challenge... I have needed to do this spread for a very long time! AS in all challenges, you gave me direction!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    flowersgal and mcurtt like this.
  3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

[​IMG]

These are my paternal grandparents. I don't have the original photo. One of my cousins had copies made for us.

flowersgal and mcurtt like this.
  4. mcurtt

*** This challenge is now closed. ***

Thank you all for participating. :yourock Your participation coupons will be sent out shortly.

Lynn will have a new August challenge posted soon. Please check back to the Designer Challenges forum to see what it is all about. :woot

marijke likes this.
  5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you @LynnG and Marilyn.

mcurtt likes this.
  6. mcurtt

Coupons were sent this a.m. Please let me know if anyone has any issues. Thanks!