Laundry detergent strips/sheets

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Jul 29, 2020.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I feel like I'm always the last to "know," as in "who knew THAT?" I just today heard of washing machine detergent strips and sheets. Does anyone use them instead of Costco (or other) detergent jugs?

If so, has anyone figured out the cost per load?

Do they get the clothes clean without damaging the washer in any way?

I found one brand through Amazon, but someone said it was made in China. I'd prefer to use American-made if possible.

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i have never heard of this either! now i'm curious!

3. SharLamb

hmmmm...I guess we're the only two who are!

4. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

The only brand I've tried are the Tru Earth Laundry Strips and they work really well, no residue and clean clothes. https://www.tru.earth/
    They're made in Canada and are really eco friendly. They work in both standard and HE machines. I just tear one into about four pieces and throw it in my front load machine.
    They are definitely not cheap though - about 1.10 per load. However, I think if they catch on the price will begin to come down. They're still a fairly small company so I imagine they don't have the economies of scale that someone like P&G does.

I've also tried Country Save Natural Laundry Detergent which is a powder and comes in a good old fashioned cardboard box. Its very reasonably priced, about .15c per load and is made in Washington State. I've had no powder residue problems on any clothing and the clothes all come clean.

5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No I haven't heard of them but I'm quite happy with my Wegmans' 3 jugs for $16.99 ($17!) and they say I'll get 99 loads - so that's .17cents a load. However, I do a daily small load in our front loading Asco so I know I get more, usually about 6 months worth of laundry.

btw, my beloved Asco combo is 17 years old.

6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I've seen hand soap sheets, but not laundry soap sheets. I use Tide pods b/c they keep the detergent IN my washer instead of ON my washer ... DD and GK wash their own clothes and "jug" detergent ends up everywhere. Plus I like being able to look in the container and see how many pods are left.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm in the dark too... I've never heard of detergent sheets. Kinda a cool idea though and like @Memaw2Wm said... the liquid detergent from a jug definitely seems to get all over the top of my dryer where the jug sits.

8. SharLamb

I pulled the trigger this morning. Gonna try Breezeo...48 loads for $8.26 at Amazon (delivered tomorrow). That's about 17¢ a load, unless you're doing huge loads, in which case they recommend 2 sheets. I have a small stackable washer/dryer, so by default can, at most, do "medium" loads. It is made in Canada, so I'm good with that. I will let you all know how it goes!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

Glad you were willing to be the Guinea Pig for the Team @SharLamb :) That's a good price!! If I'm ever incapacitated, I might suggest them for my DH. I suspect he would make a bit of a mess filling the little lid of the jug detergent... KWIM? @Memaw2Wm ;)

Memaw2Wm and SharLamb like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I used to use these all the time! I loved them. I bought them on coupon and sales, so they were pretty cheap. They were amazing for camping and traveling. But, the company stopped making them, and now you can only buy them for outrageous prices. I could cut them in half since I only needed half a sheet for my laundry.
    Trying to do laundry with a toddler made them especially amazing! No measuring or spillage anywhere.
    Purex.jpg

I look forward to hearing if you like the ones you bought! I'd love to find some again.

11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Looking forward to hearing how you like the Breezeo ones.
    I've been seriously trying to cut down on my plastic useage, so the laundry strips really appeal but the Tru Earth ones are really expensive.

12. SharLamb

Well, I have to admit I've never been one to examine my laundry to see if it was "clean enough," so just remember that as you read my update.
    So far I LOVE BREEZEO! The SHEETS come serrated, and for my little washer that can only do small to medium loads, the 1/2 strip is perfect. For those with large loads, 2 strips/1 SHEET is recommended, so the cost per load for you would be 34¢. BUT SO HANDY! So light-weight. So SMALL. So not messy! I'm sold.
    https://www.amazon.com/Breezeo-Laundry-Detergent-Strips-Sheets/dp/B075JMVPQ3

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Cool! I might have to give these a try! I'm intrigued!

14. SharLamb

PS: I heard a complaint that they are hard to separate. Mine weren’t--they are as sturdy as light-weight card stock! -- so could be it is important to reseal the pouch each time to keep air and moisture out.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Karen likes this.
  15. cookingmylife

Glad to hear your report Sharon @SharLamb Should I ever become unable to do laundry I would def get those for dh. He has a tremor in his right hand so it would be so much easier than trying to pour in the cap for him with liquids.