Diagnosed with breast cancer - UPDATE POST 77 - NO cancer in lymph nodes!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by gonewiththewind, Jul 24, 2020.

1. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

So sorry to hear this news, Cheryl. I have just prayed for wisdom for you and the doctors in the course of treatment. My youngest daughter (now 52) was diagnosed with DCIS about 6 years ago. She had radiation for 7 weeks and took medicine for a year thereafter. She was supposed to take the medicine for 5 years but said it was "fuzzing" her brain so she stopped taking it. To date, she is fine.

It's good they spotted it early as you have better options for less invasive treatments. Will continue to hold you up in prayer. Just remember that you are loved and God promises to provide all that we need. Trust in His Word.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm so glad that they caught it early! But yikes, what a long time from the mammogram until the diagnosis! I'm sure you were going crazy waiting. Good luck with your appointment today and tomorrow and hopefully you'll get a good plan in place and then can kick that big C right out of your body! Saying prayers for a speedy and successful treatment.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh Cheryl! How scary, but it seems like you have a plan of attack, and high hopes. I'm there rooting along with you and everyone here as your cheerleaders. Hoping you get answers and information today and tomorrow! Sending a hug!

4. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Definitely you have our prayers during this time and throughout your treatment. So glad they found it early.

5. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

As I said on FB, I have no doubt that you will kick the crap out of it and be cancer-free before you know it (probably before the pandemic ends). Keep fighting and know that you have an entire army of supporters behind you!

6. zippyoh

zippyoh Well-Known Member

Sending you all the healing prayers and positive thoughts Cheryl!

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I know you still have your surgeon appointment but how did the oncologist appointment go?

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I saw the oncologist this afternoon. I was very reassured and positive after meeting with him. He said that this was caught very early. I'm ER-positive, PR-positive (estrogen and progesterone) and HER2-negative (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 - a growth promoting protein on the outside of all breast cells). While he can't rule out chemotherapy as treatment until after he has the results of my sentinel node biopsy that will happen when I have surgery, he thinks it is unlikely that I will have to have to chemo. It's still a possibility that I need to keep in mind.

He is referring me to see a radiation oncologist for consult before I have surgery to discuss my options as I have a spinal cord stimulator. If I choose breast conservation and go with a lumpectomy, I will need to have radiation. He wasn't sure about the targeted therapy and how it will affect the stimulator since the stimulator paddle is near the mid-back range. I see the surgeon late tomorrow afternoon, and I hope that perhaps he will have more experience and know about radiation following surgery when an implanted device is present. If I can't have radiation with the device in place, I have some decisions to make about my stimulator and choosing mastectomy over lumpectomy. I'm praying that it's not going to be an issue and I'll go the route of lumpectomy.

I will need to have adjuvant hormonal therapy following chemo and/or radiation for 5-10 years. This therapy limits estrogen and progesterone and blocks the growth of cancer cells.

Finally, because of family history with this type of breast cancer, he is doing genetic testing, which will be important for Olivia.

I'll update again tomorrow evening after I see the surgeon. Thank you SO very much for all the encouragement and prayers. Please continue praying that the stimulator won't be an issue I need to worry about, so I can have the lumpectomy and then have radiation and be cancer free.

Here's the LONG answer to your question! LOL

cinna, Memaw2Wm, busywoman139 and 9 others like this.
  9. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Praying for good decisions all around, and that this time next year it will mostly be a vague memory. A close friend of mine is going in for a mastectomy Wednesday, and a guy friend is recovery from cancer surgery earlier this month. Seems like I'm praying for a lot of people right now...including you.

10. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the update Cheryl. You are still in my prayers!

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Those are really good news.

1- ABOUT GENETIC TESTING - DO NOT DO IT UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE YOUR LIFE INSURANCE. I wish someone would have said this to me. Usually they tell you the day off. DUH. Life Insurance companies CAN and WILL use this genetic testing information to deny you of LIFE INSURANCE or changes to your LIFE INSURANCE.

2- I know you are wanting the lumpectomy, it is much safer surgery and easier recovery but I am guessing you are going to wait until Genetic testing comes back? That's what we did, I don't have the breast cancer genetic markers but I do have the cervical one. We ended up doing just a lumpectomy because I didn't have the breast cancer markers but my doctor was very adamant to do double mastectomy if the markers were to be present. So even though I know you want the lumpectomy, start thinking about the possibility so you are not too taken back if you have the markers. By the time I had my results I knew what I wanted to do either way. (There are tons of decisions that need to be taken about full mastectomy).

3- The day that you get the genetic testing results go with someone and a notebook. It's SO MUCH information!!! It's overwhelming on top of overwhelming!!!!!

4- I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes!

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My continued prayers for you Cheryl. I am glad you have caught it early and have a wonderful team to assist you to get the best treatment in regards with the stimulator as well. Continued hugs and prayers for you and your medical team. Stay positive!! You got this!

13. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Sending you all my love and support Cheryl @gonewiththewind Hun if you need someone to chat with I’m here always available night or day ok

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sending continued support and prayers for a speedy recovery and healthy outcomes! Dalis has good information above. Hoping things look good all around! Thanks for keeping us posted. Much love!

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Much love and prayers Cheryl. I was shocked when I happened to see your post on FB but know you have faith AND are a strong and positive woman. Sadly, I do 2nd, 3rd etc the advice from @Dalis. My one boss fought hard in getting protection for people re insurance denials based on genetic testing. I'm pretty sure this is an issue that is done state by state.

And...I had my iPhone in my pocket recording while Dick has an initial oncologist appointment. I wanted to be sure we heard the same thing without an argument which wasn't always the case. :( Once we got home and were on the same page on what we heard I deleted the recording.

Again, love, ~~~~>positive vibes and many prayers! :beat:beat:beat

16. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

@gonewiththewind yes what Dalis said... The genetics should help guide surgical choices. One additional thing I'd say is that your genetic testing is important. I would highly recommend Myrisk panel testing rather than just BRCA1 and 2. I've had patients test negative with oncology for just BRCA1 and 2 and then get a second breast cancer. I offered them Myrisk and we found that they were indeed positive for one of the 9 other breast cancer genes
    see https://myriadmyrisk.com/gene-table/
    and https://myriadmyrisk.com/
    They also offer expedited results for surgery. They also have the most extensive bank of variants meaning less false negatives.
    Agreed about life insurance, although your diagnosis may also raise the rates alone. After testing with a negative it could be lower, but with a positive you could have difficulty getting a plan.
    Adjusting prayers to today's visit and some experience with the stimulator. xoxo

17. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

So sorry to have mised this Cheryl @gonewiththewind .:pray Praying for you Cheryl that the diagnosis is accurate and treatment is greatly successful with minimal to no issues.

18. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and straightforward recovery :beat

19. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

My prayers are with you today as you make these decisions and for your physicians to have wisdom in direction. I also pray for full healing for your body, in whatever way it comes.
    We are with you, Cheryl! @gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind and norton94 like this.
  20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Continued thoughts and prayers going up for you!! I so hope that the surgery and everything else will be successful! Such valuable information in this thread as well!!