Lessons from printing | Pad Patter 17 Jul

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 18, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm with everyone else, I didn't notice at all and really had to look even after you explained. I have found quite a few typos in the books I've printed, but it doesn't bother me. I figure if anyone notices them at least I know they are reading my journaling :)

bellbird likes this.
  2. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm with the team that didn't notice until I saw your answer. And I agree that these are details that only you will notice, as a scrapper...
    sometimes when I'm creating a page, I hit a button without noticing and some layer disappears, so I'm used to double check when saving a page.

here in Brazil I create albums in 8x8, because it's very expensive a bigger format, and I don't print them home for the same reason. everything photo related costs a lot.
    I saw a few typos on my printed pages, and was like: well whatever, nevermind...but I have to keep in mind to triple check pages before printing!!

bellbird likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes, you absolutely SHOULD feel better - and I love the combo of the templates. Brilliant!

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It is crazy! You've talked about your kids, and I think you're right: they'd laugh the same way my kids do. :)
    IMG_20200317_B.jpg

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is me. I used to stress... then realized it was silly to. I make so many little errors and spelling errors! I have tried to improve my spell checking, lol!

Oh, and I didn't see your error until I read the reveal, lol!

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I looked and looked and couldn't find the mistake until I clicked your spoiler. :giggle I definitely would NOT reprint for that. I've found typos in my pages after I've printed a whole $100 12x12 album and I've never reprinted for that. The only reprints I've done are for 2 different books that arrived damaged and Shutterfly reprinted those with no questions asked.

When I first started digi-scrapping I thankfully printed a couple of layouts individually before I did a whole bunch and I learned that I was using really tiny fonts for my journaling.

bellbird likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

This was an important lesson I learned in the beginning as well. Also, really fancy fonts are not good for journaling either. Titles, sure go ahead and use 'em. But not for journaling especially if the font size is really small. And, that was before my eyes got bad! Also, I will not journal on a patterned paper, that just makes it harder to read as well.

Karen likes this.
  8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

^^^ THIS ^^^

And even though it would bug the daylights out of me, I wouldn't reprint. I did a paper layout for my granddaughter years ago and managed to spell "birthday" wrong. I used stickers, there was no way to remove them or add the missing letter ... no one noticed my spelling error ... some not even after I pointed it out. Still bugs me, but *whatever*. <grin>

bellbird likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I printed a little book about my daughter's adoption. It started as a series of blog posts that I turned into pages. Anyhow I used a really fancy curly font on the cover and overlooked the spelling errors. I spelled Orchestrated wrong and I spelled her middle name wrong, Lynne instead of Lynn. What is "bad" is that the software I used at the time did spell checking and it told me twice (once working on the cover & once as it was preparing the printable version) there were errors, but I assumed both times it was because it also had "Mei" on the front and rarely is that ever counted as correct. My daughter's name is Mei Lynn.

bellbird likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I actually thought that white strip was supposed to be there! It looks like it belongs.

I've learned that 12x12 is a big page. Sometimes I would wonder if my text or photos might be too small once they were printed but they are actually quite large. My last few albums have been 10x10. I don't scrap them any differently than a 12x12 and the size turns out perfect.

I'm also very careful of my edges now too. I've had several pages get cut off from printing.

I make lots of typos and I just can't let them bother me. I double check and then still miss them and then suddenly see them when I get an album printed.

bellbird likes this.
  11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I had one Christmas album and 2 volumes of a chronological year album printed a couple weeks back and found 5 typos. I just wrote on the pages to fix the typos with a black pen. :)

Even after reading your explanation, I don't understand or see the error so I think you're good. :)

BevG and bellbird like this.
  12. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Justine, I'm back at my computer and will share a method for making 12 x 12" papers fit onto 8.5 x 11" canvases without losing the edges. This doesn't work for all papers, but most. Jen White, at Digital Scrapper, recently shared this with us.

Open your 12 x 12 paper in PS or PSE. It will be considered your SOURCE document.
    Open a new canvas the size you plan to scrap (such as 8.5 x 11). This will be considered your TARGET document.
    Activate the Source document, then click CMD (CTRL on Windows?) + OPT + I
    That will open a dialogue box*. Let it just sit there while you ...
    ...go up to your menu bar and select Window then at the bottom, select the Target Document where you want the paper to go (since I do this first thing, before saving it is usually something like "Untitled-1").
    Now (notice that the width and height has changed) click OK on the *dialogue box.
    Drag the now smaller paper over to the canvas you want to work on.
    CLOSE THE PAPER window WITHOUT SAVING IT. That makes it go back to your file in the original (12 x 12") size.

Hope this works for you.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

YES! I learnt that too - twice! I printed some 12x12 albums (because that was 'scrapbook size' to me coming from the paperworld ) but then my journalling font was the opposite - it was huge! Like I was writing in big print for my daughter who was a toddler around then to try to copy and learn to write her name - ok maybe not quite that large but i was holding them at arms length to read them. And then i had the too small issue when i switched to 8x8 and tried a 10x10; and fancy fonts - my DS (who's only got 6mths left of primary/elementary school) still asks me when he will learn to read 'running writing', like it's a foreign language - some fonts might as well be, glad i Learnt that lesson early on too!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think this is the path i'm taking having left the book on the shelf for the last week; the most recent book i print usually stays cover out, sort of like a photo in a frame until i print something else; it might just make me print the next book faster or i'll just go with *whatever* :)

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i know what you mean about assuming your name, or Mei's name in this case, is just the problem when spell checking - i used to hate that 'Justine' was underlined as wrong when assignments became a 'hand in a typed copy' kind of thing, like the computer assumed i couldn't spell my own name; well i have learnt that my spelling is fine but my typing is rubbish so i give spell check the benefit of the doubt most of the time now!
    (How did Mei feel about having her middle name with the 'e' on the end? i doubt my kids would ever let me live it down - it's like a competitive sport in my house, like who can find mum's typo's the fastest!)

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thank you for those steps! it sounds like a logical workflow!