Lessons from printing | Pad Patter 17 Jul

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 18, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So there've been a few printing threads lately and this week I received the last photobook I ordered with a bunch of layouts of just my DD. I think actually seeing your pages printed can teach you a lot about your own scrapping. Similarly, it can teach you a lot about photography too, just getting 4x6 images printed instead of leaving them on your phone, EHD etc.

If you have printed anything, is there something you have learnt from it? Has it changed your process or anything specific?
    Bonus question: have you ever re-printed a book because of typo's or a photoshop fail?! Asking for a friend....

Here's a quick 'spot the error' game - this is the cover of the book I mentioned.
    Can you see what I can't unsee now and why I'm mad at myself and would be thinking about reprinting?
    IMG202007181012-600px.jpg
    (I'll stick the answer in the next post; my fam didn't see it until I pointed it out but would it bug you enough to reprint?)

Tree City likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Answer in white ( like we use in the Reading Pad for spoilers - mouse over it to see )
    I recoloured the label from one of Cheryl's templates and must have unlinked the layers between the 'pink lines and outline' layer and the white paper below that is NOT where it should be.So it kind of looks like the pink part of the label is stamped on the layout and I missed the paper when stamping - that's how i'm trying to think of it for now to save me me from thinking i spent a bit over $AUD50 on a lesson in locking or grouping layers).
    End.

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I don’t see it, and I don’t have a mouse (on my iPad with an Apple Pencil, but it doesn’t seem to reveal the problem. I don’t make many books...mostly print 8.5 x 11 pages which I put into protection pockets, then into good quality 3-ring binders. Flaws only cost me the reprinting of one page, but I can identify with the urge to reprint a book over one mistake. Don’t think I would though. Mistakes are part of the story!

bellbird likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Justine, I would not get it printed again. I had to highlight your text to find out as I could not see anything wrong with it.
    I have a typing error in one of my holiday albums I had printed so I just added it with pen myself.

5. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Nobody will notice, I couldn't find it until I read your 'answer'.

busywoman139 and bellbird like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Girl, I had to highlight your text to figure out what the mistake was . . . and it's my darn template! :compcoffee

Honestly, it looks like it's a label that has an extra white bit on the bottom. I WOULD NOT reprint for that. No one but you is every going to know . . .

busywoman139, bestcee and Tree City like this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It looks like a stamp and no one who isn't a scrapper will even realize it wasn't "supposed" to look that way...and scrappers aren't going to realize because it just looks like you wanted a stamped look to go with the paint layers.

Anyone who critiques your cover that closely doesn't deserve to look at your beautiful album! :beat

ETA: oops, I didn't answer about myself. Yup, I've made mistakes. Nope, I never reprinted because of them. (SF has had to reprint two of my albums because of their mistakes. They once sent me a 95-page album that only had like 10 layouts printed. The rest of the pages were BLANK! It was so weird. The kids will look at a blank page and say "oooh, I remember this! It was such a fun day!" and then laugh and laugh.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    busywoman139, Memaw2Wm and bellbird like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I didn't notice either! Even reading your answer, it took me a minute or two to understand and see what you were talking about. I definitely do not reprint, but that's because of my financial situation. But I think even if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't reprint.

There was one time I had a book reprinted but it was because the printing company made a ridiculous mistake, mixing up a bunch of pages, leaving some out, it was horrendous! Fortunately, they owned up to it and sent me a corrected version free. But I was annoyed by the waste of paper and the hassle.

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I read your answer and still didn't see it. It was only after reading Cheryl's comment that I saw it. So nope, I wouldn't reprint.

As for me, depends. I had a shutterfly book reprinted but it was on their dime. There were obvious cutting problems and I could see the edge of one layout on the next one. Second book was good. I kept the bad book and gave the good one as the gift that it was planned to be.

I ordered a shutterfly book in the sale, it will be given to my cousin. I also ordered the same layouts as 12x12 prints for me. When I was sorting the prints I realized I had the wrong year on 2 layouts. 1989 instead of 1988. Uh oh... On my prints, I used a black pen and made the 9 into an 8. Not sure what I will do in the book, it will be here today. I may just laugh it off with my cousin because in the long run, I don't think she'll care about the wrong date. She'll just appreciate the book. She thinks scrapping is cool but not interested in doing it herself.

I've also noticed other mistakes in the journaling on layouts over the years and the only layout I reprinted was the one where Grandma's name was spelled wrong, a letter was left out. Esther had become Ester. Not cool.

My errors are always in journaling and I do try to be very careful by proofreading multiple times. But when the eyes are tired something might slip through. And, with older photos, trying to place the year is harder.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Also (I already replied a couple posts ago) I do make typos in my journaling here and there. Sometimes I fix them with a pen; often I ignore them.

It's nice when I notice them before printing though. I just looked at my latest page in the gallery this morning (which I uploaded yesterday) and found I'd made a typo, saying my husband and I were celebrating our 26th anniversary this month instead of our 24th. I can claim to be mixed up because we have known each other for 26 years, but really it was just a mindless typo. I fixed my original layout.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I agree with everybody else. If it's that hard to see, forget it. But, that being said, I know how you feel. I would feel the same way!

bellbird likes this.
  12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I don't think I'd bother... It looks rather artsy that way.

True story. I few years ago, I had 80 Christmas photo cards printed (at Walgreens, so I know it was a while ago) with the wrong date on it. I think it was for 2013 and I had it printed out at 2103. Did I reprint? Nope. But I did find some Christmas stickers and stuck it on the typo. No one asked me why the candy cane was an added treat. :-)

13. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

I'm starting to realize I'm not as concerned about these kinds of things as I thought I was. I've never reprinted; if it makes it into a book, oh well. If I catch it beforehand, I will fix it. I've had books be misprinted with pages out of order and have had them reprinted for that kind of error.

14. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I didn’t see it either until Cheryl pointed it out.
    Every time I go to print a book, I proof read it, then I have my mom or one of my daughters proofread it again and I still end up with mistakes that none of us catch until we see it in print. I haven’t reprinted a book yet, although I was tempted when I realized I’d used the same photo twice in dd’s wedding album. These days, I just roll my eyes and chalk it up to human error.

15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I didn't see it until I read your note and then I still don't really see it :-)

I have found many typos in my books throughout the years. I have never reprinted though. Although I will say, that there have been some books that I couldn't look at for a while because I noticed an error right away. I was so mad/disappointed that I didn't want to look at it anymore. But eventually I get over and hardly notice the error at all.

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Thanks all for your resounding support!

This is definitely a benefit of printing single pages rather than books! I did buy a nice 3 ring binder in A4 size (that's our dominant paper size here, we don't have 'letter') thinking I'd start doing pages in 'rectangle' format but never did. Did you just draw a line in the sand and decide to just make rectangle pages from a certain point? I just grab a template or a paper from a kit and go without thinking. Do you start with a blank rectangle canvas and pull everything in or kind of squish or cut the first paper??
    To get them printed at a shop on photoquality paper etc, i'd be ordering 8x10 prints and that's a fair bit smaller than A4 so I started thinking they'd just be sliding around in the A4 plastic sleeves - and it became too much thinking and so the folder is still sitting empty!

I've had this happen too - i just can't bring myself to 'draw' in my printed albums! When it's a date though, it bugs me the most!
    It's a gorgeous template! I kinda merged these 2 pages that i loved to make the cover and they were both with your templates
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and i nudged the whole thing all over the place and saved it a dozen different ways to try to upload a *centered* version to have the cover look how i wanted it so after all that i was extra annoyed at myself for not realising til i opened the mail. I saved it for web and it was fine so i dunno but, i do kinda feel better that *you* couldn't tell!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that is crazy! (but funny that your kids would do that, i think mine would be the same). SHutterfly's unpredictable shipping from the US is part of the reason i tried SnapfishAU again - it was a joke how far it would travel around the world to get here - sometimes it would come via Europe, I remember one had German postmarks, I've had it from New Zealand (which seems even crazier to me - it's not like it was faster) and various places in the US. Persnickety packages always came so much faster. I reported one as never having received it years back after 2 months had passed and it was still not here (and tracking said it had been received) So I got them to reprint it at their expense and got one about 3 weeks later and then another 2 weeks after that but i have no idea which one i received first, the reprint or the original.
    I do wonder how often companies that make so many books make significant mistakes. Page cut-offs and binding gutters that reduce how much of the page i can see after printing i take as a 'me' problem and just accept. And financially, i haven't been prepared to pay the extra for lay-flat pages in my scrapbooks - i've ordered them in the past for Guest Books and albums for other people but they were all just photos or clean and simple with lots of white border space so gutters and all weren't really important at all.

Tree City likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:hi5
    LOL! awesome story and even better thinking to save the day!

awesome attitude!

19. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Justine, I tried 12 x 12 BRIEFLY, and found them to be way to big and awkward. 8x8 didn’t give me enough room to make the pictures large enough for me. 8.5x11 was the answer. Perfect. Sometimes I will do an artsy page not meant for printing in a square format. I start with an 8.5 x 11 canvas. If I’m using a template that is square, I use several different ways to use it on the letter-size page. I’m not by my computer for a few days, but will try to remember to share a way that makes it super simple on most conversions.

bellbird likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks! that would be great :)