Makers gonna watch?! | Pad Patter 10 July

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 10, 2020.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thanks @QuiltyMom Once I looked at the Sarafina video and site I remembered this had struck my fancy some time ago as she's up north of me in Elkton. I realized it might be fun but I was dabbling in paper & gesso & acrylics at that time. A very short lived dabble! So not me. :lol Ms Mermaid has quite the sexy figure! and both items are impressive!

bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I probably won't van life (although I'd love to for a period of time . . . weeks, maybe even months) because my husband and I aren't mechanically inclined, but I definitely want to live in a small home someday. The only stuff I'm attached to are my journals, but even those I could give up if I no longer have the space for them because I've photographed every page and now I journal digitally.

bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I didn't know you lived in Maryland!! I'm in NoVA (Falls Church).

bellbird likes this.
  4. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

This might be my favorite forum thread ever, lol! Lots of new to me names that I can't wait to check out. Also, the needle felting is gorgeous @QuiltyMom!!! Fiber based crafts/hobbies have never really "gelled" with me but I am super intrigued by the needle felting.

My current artsy interests and endeavors include:
    * making prints with my gelli plate as well as making my own homemade gelli plates!!!! Nitsa Malik is an awesome instructor (also with a lovely accent) http://artbynitsa.com/ and I found https://www.lindagermain.com/ while looking for tips on how to best make the gelli plates. (Her free recipe/tutorial worked SO excellently!)
    * learning about digital art and illustration on the iPad through classes on Skillshare (paid) (specifically Liz Kohler Brown, Jennifer Nichols, Tracey Smigielski, and others) all who also post in this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2317113364983124
    * other Skillshare classes have been great, but for scrappers/memory keepers, the author Dani Shapiro has a class called Writing for Inner Calm that is really good.
    * Another online instructor I took a writing/journaling class from that I really enjoyed was Liz Lamoreux's Five Things https://www.lizlamoreux.com/ (paid class)

I'm sure I'll think of more later, LOL!

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Wow! These are AMAZING!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to watch a LOT of Donna Downey's painting and mixed media videos on YouTube. She used to do one every Wednesday and called the series Inspiration Wednesday. I loved those so much and did most of them in my own journals. For several years then she sold them as a subscription for like $35 for the whole year, so I did all three years of that too. Now she's moved to a Patreon monthly subscription, but I haven't do that yet.

I also love Let's Make Art for water color videos. They are about 30-60 minutes longs and by the end, if you paint along, you have a whole finished painting! I also love their time warp preview videos on Facebook.

busywoman139 likes this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! These are amazing! I did some cloth dolls and twig dolls several years back. You REALLY have that felting down to be able to create suh small but accurate items!!! I confess I wouldn't know how to do that with wet felting. Did you sew any or all felting? I have worked from instruction and inspiration from Patti Medaris Culea. I have 3 of her books. The Cloth dolls I don't have images of because they left the studio before it occurred to me to photograph them. Duh. Can't count the number of times I've done that, lol.
    The twig dolls are whimsical, or some prefer eccentric. But they are fun!
    LeapforJoy_TwigDoll-AmandaKuykendall.jpg Rejoice_TwigDoll-byAmandaKuykendall.jpg
    I've only just begun in wet felting. My first piece was the front of a purse for my Mom who loves bright colors.
    I was surprised that it was so easy and I am ready to try advanced pieces. But they will have to wait as I have a MM Jacket and two pieced bags in process.
    IMG_6222(Edited).jpg

8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Does it count when you watch your own kids' process videos. LOL! My 15 year old paints and has made some of her own process videos...I didn't know it was a thing! And then my 17 year old decorates cakes and she's taken process videos too. I always think it's so cool when I see theirs.

I may have to check some of these out!

QuiltyMom and busywoman139 like this.
  9. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

@Scrapping with Liz of course the kids count!! :) Do they have a public YouTube channel?

This thread is officially responsible for my trip to Michael's today :) I got two needle felting kits and two punch needle kits (1 each for me and my dd)! We gave it a go this evening and it was so fun! I didn't buy the finger guards today but they would've been a good to have so I'll have to go back and snag them.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Your dolls are amazing!!! I love assemblage things - it's something on my to do list. They must be soooo fun to put together! And I love the bag! I've not done much wet felting because I don't NEED another thing to do. I have litterally over 50 projects waiting for me to start and/or complete (not including more face masks for my family). I'm still trying to get my house put back together from our renovation, so that's taking all my brainpower these days (I spent all day yesterday going through old paper files - ick!) Have you seen those gorgeous nuno felted scarves? I purchased a great one a couple years ago at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It was a huge splurge, but I absolutely love it!
    Enabler alert!!!! Yay!! I really need to get finger guards. I'm getting better about not stabbing myself, but every once in a while I forget. So, what did you make?

And @Scrapping with Liz - I'd love to see their videos, too! Kids make the best teachers.

@gonewiththewind - thank you!!!

11. Scrapping with Liz

QuiltyMom and busywoman139 like this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

They don't. It's all on instagram right now. I just posted above about it...and then saw your comment.

busywoman139 likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm a big Missy Whidden fan as well and I know I follow Inkie Quill on IG as well. You had me at Disney style with Jamie Jo, she's new to me and I loved her Moana sunset ocean process. DD often watches Chloe Rose, her trying out 'hacks' and other 'this should work' ideas and how self deprecating she is (although obviously very talented) is funny too. Thanks for giving me so many new people to look up!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you must be one of the most talented crafty people i know! i watched her beginner one and think i'd end up stabbing myself more in the process but i'm glad this works for you!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep these are makers in my book too - we've watched Tiny Luxury and such on the Life channel here; big respect to any one that can downsize that much that they can live in a van; DS (11y.o.) has said for years that he will live in a camper van when he's older and just travel around or park in our front yard. Eamon and Bec's van is so much smaller than I can imagine living in though but you are right about their creativity!

QuiltyMom and michelepixels like this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Love the succulent painting and good on you for going outside your comfort zome; gotta admit, abstract kinda hurts my brain - i watched this one from John Beckley channel, i like his use of stencils and just about everything but i think i just got more confused as to what he was doing as he went on; are you meant to be able to understand abstract stuff?! I have seen some of France Papillon's mixed media stuff on instagram; I really like your pages; you nailed her artsy vibe!

QuiltyMom and AJK like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

these are absolutely amazing! (i watched a few of her videos where she was putting faces on pumpkins and this looks soo, soooo much more amazing! Gloria is especially glorious! :goldstars)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:compcoffee this describes me and more real life hobbies !

AJK likes this.
  19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I do cooking youtubes, but we pass the time
    laughing like crazy people to these

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I am a huge, huge, huge Missy Whidden fan who does incredible mixed media & paper scrapping. I usually have paper scrapping YT vids playing on the computer when I scrap as I like to be able to click over to watch when I want but I can also just listen while I do my own page.