Makers gonna watch?! | Pad Patter 10 July

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 10, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So my daughter has been painting (and crocheting and gaming) her way through the pandemic; I think it started with Bob Ross last year or the year before, but she now usually finds a photo or a finished product image online or something to try to emulate (she has painted a series of characters from the Animal Crossing game :eyeroll) and just goes for it.
    This week i started watching videos of artists painting. It was totally random to start with but, as is so often the case, one link lead to another and then i realised a lot of time had passed!
    (I did learn that I like time-lapse ones that you can see the whole process sped up from the start to the end with the whole process of creation (much like the condensed Watch Cheryl Scrap videos), it's rather satisfying and calming - and i'm not really a painter myself but it makes me feel like i could be, if i were more patient and could be bothered pulling everything out and cleaning everything up after!
    This one I will freely admit to having watched at least a dozen times on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWIMGlHVx6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link (But i can't get it to embed, it's clouds and reflection landscape painting so you know what you're clicking in to and he has a youtube channel but the videos are a lot longer and step-by-step and he seems to have 'guest artists' as well)

So do you have a favourite 'maker' to watch online, or are you more like my DH that thinks it's like watching the grass grow and would prefer to watch a movie or regular tv show?

2. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I've been watching Brad Mondo (a hair stylist, lol), but also this painter comes up in my watch feed on Facebook called My Art and she always starts with putting blobs or drops of paint on a canvas and using a pallet knife to smear it all around. Then she goes back and forth from brushes to pallet knife, sometimes she uses some masking like things she's cut out from her cricut. Finally, when the painting is done, she usually animates it in some way, all while this soothing music is playing! I usually have my sound off because the music is not my style, but I love watching her paint and seeing the little animations she does with the paintings at the end!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

p.s. it does make me feel like I could do it. I bought a pallet knife in a set of paint brushes at Sam's Club, and while I'm a frequent (maybe even avid) Paint Niter (even online during the lockdown), I haven't dared try that crazy knife in my paint!!

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Thanks I'll be checking My Art out! And Lol, my daughter has said the Same thing about palette knives!

KarenB likes this.
  4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I love to watch mixed media artists to their thing! My favourite at the moment is Maremi Small Art on You Tube. It quite often inspires me to get the gesso and paint out and get creative :)

busywoman139, QuiltyMom and bellbird like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I haven't been watching any makers, but I'll be watching this thread. I'm so glad that others have found productive ways to spend this pandemic.

bellbird likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I watch A LOT of scrapbooking process videos. I won't list them all here as you can simply search on YouTube and have a bunch come up. I do like Missy Whidden's videos and usually watch every one she puts out. I'm a fan of Adele/Inkie Quill as well.

I love catching Vicki Boutin's LIVE sessions during quarantine. She does them on Facebook and YouTube. She has scrapbooking and mixed media product lines, but creates quite a bit herself and is a great teacher.

As far as art process videos, I like Jamie Jo/BananaJamana. She has a fun, anime/Disney/cartoon style.

I also like Chloe Rose Art. She has a lot of art supply reviews along with tutorials and art process videos.

KC DoodleArt has great doodles/zentangling and so does Mary Doodles.

Vrielinkie, busywoman139 and bellbird like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Within the past year or so I've taken up needle felting. I find stabbing a bunch of wool extremely satisfying. lol! I love watching Sara of Sarafina Fiber Art as she creates while doing a tutorial or felt-along. You can find a whole bunch of tutorials over on her YouTube channel.

busywoman139, bellbird and AJK like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I watch more videos about science and history but if we stretch the definition of maker, as I would like to do, my favorite YouTubers Eamon & Bec are making another van because they had to leave their van in Morocco when Canada called them home at the beginning of the pandemic. They're vanlifers who travel the world in their van, a Mercedes Sprinter, in which they've built a kitchen, seating, bed, and storage. I've been watching regularly every Sunday for about a year and a half now. I loved seeing them on the road -- they were a few months into a trip through Europe and Africa when the pandemic began -- but even now, with the videos just about constructing their new van, they're interesting and always make me smile. And they're definitely being creative and sometimes even artistic as they design their home on wheels.

AJK, QuiltyMom and bellbird like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@michelepixels I definitely think that's creative! I love watching tiny home, RV, van life, etc. videos as well. Because of a variety of health issues, I don't think that life would ever work for me, BUT I absolutely love the idea of it!

michelepixels and bellbird like this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@QuiltyMom Jan you should post one of your works! I bought all the stuff for needle felting and then stumbled upon Nuno (wet)felting and am hooked! Sara is great, isn't she?!!
    I watch at least 3 process/tutorial/demo videos daily. It's become part of my day. I learn so much! I dyed my first silk scarf today as a result of one of them.
    I love Gordon Ramsey's Cooking School!
    John Beckley is nudging me out of my comfort zone in painting- I am trying a more abstract style.
    Louise De Masi is an AMAZING watercolor instructor. She is a teacher. :)

For Art Journaling, I prefer France Papillon because her stuff is artistic as opposed to "craftsy". I have attempted to work along with her several times. These is are 2 the pages that came from that:
    IMG_6580(1).jpg IMG_6582.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@bellbird Justine, that was a lovely video you shared,thank you. I would love to paint like that.
    I have watched some arty videos over the years and find them fascinating.
    I also used to like to watch mixed media artists at work.

bellbird likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow she makes heaps of cool stuff ( i have no idea why but these steam punk puzzle pieces called to me & these upcycled jar lids as xmas ornaments are right up our fam's green alley) and i love her accent!

KarenB likes this.
  13. QuiltyMom

I will, tomorrow. I haven't done any Nuno work yet ... I know it's something Sara is thinking about holding a felt-along about soon. I had fun watching the nest felt-along from today. Easy peasy compared to the mermaid I made in April/May. I'll post something tomorrow since it's all on my phone.

And how about you posting some of your stuff????

bellbird and AJK like this.
  14. KarenB

Her accent is the best! It's Polish/Irish. Yes I love all the upcycling stuff :)

bellbird likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I dabbled in this a long time ago. Still have so much wool in every color imaginable! Maybe this winter would be a good time to revisit this hobby - while watching TV at the end of along day or something. Gonna check out her tuts. She sounds familiar - I'm sure I came across her stuff back in the day. Thanks!

bellbird, AJK and QuiltyMom like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

She's AMAZING. If anything you can use up your stash and make some fun goodies in the process. Next I want to make sleepy mice and nests. Never a dull moment.

ETA: Here's her YouTube channel:
    Sara Renzully - Sarafina Fiber Art

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    bellbird, AJK and jenn mccabe like this.
  17. QuiltyMom

@AJK - here's my hummingbird...

[​IMG]

And Gloria the Mermaid, coming in at 36" tall! (Sorry for the bad photos. I haven't yet photographed her with my good camera.) She has a complete armature, needle felted body and wet felted skin. The skin ended up so huge that I made it into a "mermaid gown" rather than a typical skin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  18. QuiltyMom

I would LOVE to do this, but only part time. I couldn't give up my home, clothes, heirlooms, and all that stuff that I love.

bellbird likes this.
  19. KarenB

These are stunning!!! :D:beat

bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

agreed - what karen B said!!!
    I never made anything so intricate! Whoa!

bellbird, QuiltyMom and KarenB like this.