Masks | Pad Patter 6.28

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 28, 2020.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My neighbors are leaving for Disney World in FL in the morning. It opens to annual passholders today and the public in a couple days although reservations to get in the parks is required. 6 weeks ago my neighbor had knee surgery and has only been off the crutches for a week. They don't want to lose the 2018 DVC points. This is their graduation present to the 2 daughters (1 high school and 1 college graduation). I have yet to see them wear a mask but then I only see them in their own yard. I don't wear one in my yard either! I will be staying away from them when they get back because things aren't good in Florida. My cousin's daughter is a dermatologist in Orlando and she is very concerned about what is happening there.

KarenB likes this.
  2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Crazy! You couldn't pay me enough to go to an amusement park right now and most definitely not in the scenario your neighbors are in with a recent surgery (and a body that's expending its energy on recuperating) and in an epicenter of infection. To each his own, I suppose. I saw an article today that all of the ICUs in FL are full to capacity :(I would be so riddled with anxiety I wouldn't enjoy one minute. I imagine the parks will offer to postpone points, but even if they weren't I'd totally eat the points. A lot of the time, you just have to call and ask. The nominal amount of benefit would most definitely not outweigh the risk for me ... but I'm pretty risk-adverse when it comes to any health-related matter.

cinderella, KarenB, Amson and 2 others like this.
  3. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I don't understand. I wouldn't take that risk personally. I am perplexed that this virus is seen as just another flu by some? I fear for what will happen when ICUs do eventually become full? I have never known flu cases push ICUs to full capacity. I know here in the UK the number of people that die in a typical flu season is around 8,000. Compare that to the 44,000 that have died so far with this virus, 300 of those deaths have been doctors and nurses that caught it while fighting to save lives. I don't remember that ever happening in a flu season either.
    I do however, completely agree that everyone is entitled to their views, opinions and beliefs. I am very thankful for free speech, and I have read lots of different opinions on the corona virus. I just don't understand that's all :(

4. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I used my scrapbooking supplies to make a custom mask at Snapfish. I'm curious to see the quality--I hope it's not more of a novelty item.

jk703 and KarenB like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

It looks like the neighbors are still home. They were outside drinking their morning coffee at 7:30. The table umbrella is still up and a couple windows I can see are still open. They always put the umbrella away when they go away for more than a day. I would have thought they would have left by now if they were driving since it is about 14 to 15 hour drive.

As I was typing this the dog started barking so I went to see what it was. The neighbor was out so I went out and asked! They put the vacation back a week and will spend a week at Disney and a few more days at a beach. They will be driving.

SeattleSheri and KarenB like this.
  6. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Here in Greece things aren't that bad (with a 10 million population, we have 3,732 confirmed cases, 1,374 recovered, and 193 deaths). Even with these numbers that are similar or a bit higher than the regular flu, I can't compare them. The flu arrives here in February, and by March, max. April, probably because of the weather, the virus weakens/dies/Idk. We've had our first heatwave in May, and the virus is still here. It's not the regular virus, it's nasty and I hate seeing people around me acting like nothing's happening.

SeattleSheri and KarenB like this.
  7. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Yeah, I think it's pretty unlikely seasonal climate change will have much of an impact hampering the spread. It's always helpful to have greater numbers of people outdoors, but the are lots of areas that have consistently had high temps since the onset that haven't seen a reprieve :(

8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's cool! Please let us know!

9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is at Disney this weekend. She says she feels safer there than at her local grocery store. You couldn't pay me to be there right now ... virus, heat, masks ... nope, no way no how.

KarenB likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

I think I might know what friend you are talking about. If so, she is a complete Disney nut so I'm not surprised she is there. I've been seeing her pics on FB. After all, she made her big move she's been planning for years during the pandemic!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Yep. Doesn't surprise me either. I love Disney too, but not enough to brave it right now.

12. HavaDrPepper

Even my family that lives right there with annual passes is avoiding it. Doctor in the family says no way...

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  13. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have almost two dozen masks because I am an essential worker and have to wear them at work. We were recently told we can only wear the surgical type ones in the pharmacy due to cdc guidelines. My favorite illegal masks included some ferret ones that I had made as well as some pokemon ones. I also have a cowboy cat retro print one that is super cute. They all have pockets for filters.

jk703, LynnG and KarenB like this.
  14. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

So I got my Snapfish mask and was pleasantly surprised. It was thin, but it was also two layers and came with two filters that you could replace as needed. It also came with little plastic adjusters which were harder to use than the Starks ones, but the Starks ones were HUGE. It didn't fit as snug as the Starks either.

If I design another one, I would just use a solid background and not a black piece of digital paper. It was a little faded, but it still looks neat with the texture. I got mine when they had a sitewide 40% off, so it was about the same price as the Starks.

My husband still likes the Old Navy ones the best. Most masks are too snug for him, and they were actually the cheapest ones that I had purchased. Here's me wearing the Snapfish mask:
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic, AJK, jk703 and 2 others like this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Looks really cool! My friend made me some, sone from Amazon, we’ve got some surgical ones, and some N95 ones. I love that I can put the filters right in!

Good to know about the snapfish ones! Thanks for the feedback! They will be a part of our lives for the time being. So, having more places to get them helps!

16. HavaDrPepper

A friend that was making them back in April/early May sent me one and I've been using it whenever I got to the grocery (only place I go). My issue is that my glasses don't sit on my nose where they should if I put the mask where it is supposed to be. If I could wear my wire frames, it would be a little better but unfortunately I'm not able to wear them. I found a style on Etsy that I think would work better for me so I asked the friend if she could make something like that and sent her a photo. She's a very good seamstress so I'm thinking she'll be able to figure it out. If she can't then I'll order the one I saw from Etsy.

Because with the mask mandate starting today in Ohio, I think more than 1 (even for someone that doesn't go out often) will be needed.

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Have you tried the N95's? I've only been out once and had to wear mine, but they fit very nicely up over your nose and enough room for glasses. it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! The N95's are available now, finally.

18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really like that!!

I ordered a few from Etsy that I like alot and are really soft. I played around with the Silhouette and heat transfer vinyl and make some cute decals to put on them. I keep meaning to try the Old Navy ones, but I found some from Target that were like 2 for $4 and ordered a bunch of those. Chance likes them best.

19. HavaDrPepper

I'd have the same problem with it that I do with the one I have. Hard to explain but it comes down to the big old nose I have. I have to pull the mask up farther than most people and the way most masks go straight across is why it interferes with my glasses.

Like I said, I still wear it but thankfully it is never for more than 30 minutes.