Music | Pad Patter 7.5

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jul 5, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

SiriusXM has been free for the last week or so and through tomorrow, so I have been finding out how good of a parent I've been by quizzing Chance on all my favorite classic rock bands. He knows a lot of them, so I guess I've done a pretty good job :giggle. I was super excited when my granddaughter belted out Wayward Son by Kansas last week! My favorite channels are Hair Nation, 70's, 80's, some 90's, Classic Vinyl, and a few others. He asked me the other day what was the first album I ever owned, and it was The Eagles Hotel California. I bought it when I was about 12.
    So that got me wondering:

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? Even if you're super young and it was digital lol.
    2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music?
    3. Favorite music decade?
    4. Favorite genre?

Bonus: Do you still have any albums or cassettes?
    I know albums have made a bit of a comeback and even my 29 year old has a record player. I still have quite a few albums and 4 cases of cassettes and CDs. I also have a little case of my old 45's :giggle

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? Even if you're super young and it was digital lol.

The first album I purchased was an ABBA record that I picked up at a flea market.

2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music?

I first started listening to the radio and, of course, listened to live music at church and church functions. I started out with LPs and then went to cassettes, then CDs.

I have two: the 40's and the 80's

4. Favorite genre?

I love Big Band music. Almost anything out of the 40's I absolutely love to listen to.

My hubby got me a record player for our anniversary (he converted an antique) and I have loved having it and picking up LPs online.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Basically can only answer

1. Bill Hayley's Rock Around the Clock on a 45rpm when I was in grade school, probably 8th.

For some reason, I no longer listen to music nor does dh but we still have zillions of CDs. Age? or just lost interest...??? He was classical & opera and I had a great variety of types. Of course lots of the music I grew up with - classic rock of the 60s-90s. Then I remarried and lost all my 'music friends' who moved away or also married!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

Ohhh I adore ABBA!! And how fun to have a record player! I'd love to get one!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

Rock Around the Clock gives me such great memories. When I was younger, my mom would turn on that song and dance all over the house :)
    I used to listen to classical in college. It was the best to study to!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? I have no idea! That would have been sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's. At first I didn't buy anything. I made my own mix tapes with a portable cassette recorder I got for my thirteenth birthday, recording songs from the radio. I recall owning a Pet Shop Boys record album in late high school. I purchased a few audiocassette tapes but can't recall any titles at the moment except The Lion King. Actually, I think I had that in CD.

2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music? Audiocassette tapes. 1980's.

3. Favorite music decade? I like a variety of music, but if I had to pick a decade I think it might be the 70's. Classic rock has been my most enduring musical like. Funny because I didn't "discover" it until the mid-1990's, in college. In the 1980's I was listening to 1980's pop music and in the 1970's I was listening to Disney songs on a little kid record player. LOL

4. Favorite genre? Again, I like a variety. Anything except country music and heavy metal. I had a very brief country music phase in, I think 1983 or 1984. My sister (5 years older than me) had been listening to it, and then she went away on a trip for a week or 2, and when she came back, having missed her, I started listening to it too. Recent favorites have included Pentatonix and Panic! At The Disco. This year I haven't been listening to music much though. It tended to be what I do while driving and I rarely drive since the pandemic. When I do chores or walk around the neighborhood, I listen to podcasts.

Bonus: Do you still have any albums or cassettes? Nope! Not for many years, except for my mix tapes, and even those I threw out about a year ago, after photographing them and making a scrapbook page. :D My husband still has a large collection of CDs but we have no way to play them anymore. Before the CD player in my iMac died several years ago he copied them all (or maybe just a lot of them) onto a high capacity thumb drive, which he keeps in his car. I use YouTube Premium music app for listening to music with my phone.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

ABBA is one of my all time favorites. I didn't really get to know them until college in the 1990's, though, when I "discovered" classic rock.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

New
    SiriusXM has been free for the last week or so and through tomorrow, so I have been finding out how good of a parent I've been by quizzing Chance on all my favorite classic rock bands. He knows a lot of them, so I guess I've done a pretty good job :giggle. I was super excited when my granddaughter belted out Wayward Son by Kansas last week! My favorite channels are Hair Nation, 70's, 80's, some 90's, Classic Vinyl, and a few others. He asked me the other day what was the first album I ever owned, and it was The Eagles Hotel California. I bought it when I was about 12.
    So that got me wondering:

It had to be one of Elvis's songs - we had to stand in line at Joe's Record Shop to buy his 45's. I don't remember which one it was, but I remember where I was the first time I heard "Jailhouse Rock". (I was a "babe in arms" :lol:lol:lol:lol)

2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music? 45 RPM and 78 RPM (I'm old - what can I say?????:lol:lol:lol)
    3. Favorite music decade? Sixties/Seventies
    4. Favorite genre? I grew up on Motown, so I still love that genre - I like lots of different genres - I didn't used to like country, but I do, now. I love "the good ole' boys".

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? Even if you're super young and it was digital lol. Boy you guys have making my head hurt with all the questions about "what was your first"! I honestly don't know but it was probably sometime in the 1960's and more than likely something from Herman's Hermits.

2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music? 45's and 33's were the thing of the day in the 60's. I bought a lot of 45's and my parents had a lot of 33's. The 45's are gone as are the 78's my mom had in the basement from her childhood.

3. Favorite music decade? To this day, I still love the 60's and 70's music and some from the 80's. I burned all of my CD's onto the computer and put them in iTunes. My 70's playlist has 166 songs. 60's has only 38 but I don't have many CD's of that decade. The 80's has close to 100 with most of them being Rick Springfield!

4. Favorite genre? I grew to love country in the 90's and am fond of the songs from those years. My favorite group these days is an a capella group, Home Free and they do mostly country. But I still love my 60's pop and rock and roll.

Bonus: Do you still have any albums or cassettes? Yes, I still have albums including my parents albums from the 50's. I bought a Victrola 8-in 1 unit that has a record player again so could play them if I wanted. I got rid of all but 3 cassettes in the house purge. 95% of them I had bought the CD or had the album. The 3 I kept were Oak Ridge Boys concerts at the Ohio State Fair in the early 90's. The Victrola also plays CD's and cassettes as well as being able to play from a USB and is Bluetooth enabled. Think I got things covered so that I could listen to any of my music choices (yes, I still have CD's... for the longest time my vehicle only had AM/FM or CD player).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased?
    I think I had some of those K-Tel type mix albums, but I don't remember specifics. The first single artist album I remember owning was Sean Cassidy's Born Late. :lol It was a birthday gift from my brother. I would have been in about 3rd grade. I went on a big Olivia Newton-John kick a couple of years later after I saw Grease. :giggle

I initially had a turntable for LPs and 45s, but by the time I was in high school, it was mostly cassettes.

I like a variety and mostly listen to fairly current music, but the 80's (my high school and college years) is probably my favorite.

4. Favorite genre?
    Pop/rock

I don't think so. If I do, they are buried somewhere. I did discover recently due to some storage reshuffling that my old cassette/radio boom box is still in my closet. :P

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I "think" it was Captain & Tenile (sp?) at age 13? Then Journey. And Chicago. Husband loved the Eagles. And they were vinyl.

Vinyl and radio. Ft.Wayne In' main station was WOWO -yep! lol! And the "Christian" genre was just beginning; Amy Grant, Keith Green, The Imperials...

70's definitely.

4. Favorite genre?
    Definitely contemporary Christian; the worship genre most specifically.
    No. We lost them in the storage fiasco 3 years ago. Have some CD's though.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased?
    I'm pretty sure it was Dream Police by Cheap Trick. I got it for Christmas, though.

We had three in the house. . .an 8 track player, record player, and a cassette player

80s

4. Favorite genre?
    Metal

I'm a musicaholic, so I have ALL my old records, cassettes, and probably some 8 tracks in the basement. I'm not sure that I could live without Spotify any more.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't remember but it I know I received some cassettes as gifts. My first purchase was probably a CD...although I really have no clue. It was probably either a country music CD or Christian Rock (both of which I'm not huge fans now - LOL!) That's probably why I've blocked it out of my memory.

Mostly Radio. Cassettes and then CDS

I don't really have one. I actually probably like to listen to more current music and classical music.

4. Favorite genre?

Christian in the style of: folk, roots rock, bluegrass, pop
    Also Classical Music.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh man! I wish I had known about the free XM! I miss having it. I had it for awhile in my new car, but couldn't justify the cost once it ran out. :giggle I don't drive far enough to finish a song most of the time, but I love the variety of stations on XM.

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? I believe the first cassette I bought was George Michael's Faith. I think I even still have that one. Lol.

2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music? I listened to a lot of radio and cassette as a kid. I remember trying to record a song off the radio onto a cassette and getting mad when they kept talking at the beginning of the song! :rofl

3. Favorite music decade? Impossible question. I love picking a decade on Amazon Music while scrapping. My most often decades lately are the 70s, 80s and 90s.

4. Favorite genre? Hmmmm.... Depends on my mood. I really love 70s music because I discovered a bunch of that music when I went to college so that and the 90s music that was current always brings me down memory lane of college. The 80s were my middle school years, so I love that too. Then I love classical and John Denver because it makes me think of my Dad. I also love musicals and that's what my Mom got me listening to and I love that it's like listening to a story.

Bonus: Do you still have any albums or cassettes? I actually do have some of my old cassettes still and I have a HUGE shelf full of all my old CDs. My hubby wishes I'd get rid of them, but I love them and still pull them out occasionally. I had BMG and Columbia CD service in college where you'd sign up and get like 10 free CDs. I'd quit as soon as I got the free ones and bought the 2 I needed and then I'd sign up again. :giggle My Dad still have his massive collection of CDs (mostly classical) and all his out records too. I'm thinking I need to get a record player soon, not sure if his still works or not.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

1. What was the first album/cassette/CD you ever purchased? Even if you're super young and it was digital lol. Think it may have been from a idol type reality show winner. I vaguely remember going to an autograph signing at a record store around the age of 12 or so.
    2. What was the main music format when you first started really listening and getting in to music? CD’s were just becoming popular in my teens but mainly radio
    3. Favorite music decade? Grew up listening to 70’s and 80’s with a bit of 90’s thrown in for good measure when I was at school, now I’d say anything in the last 20 years is my jam with a few older faves thrown in.
    4. Favorite genre? Definitely Pop/Top 40 but also like Country (more modern rather than typical country) and Acapella (particularly Pentatonix)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@littlekiwi Since you like Acapella and country, check out Home Free on YouTube. Specifically their video for Ring of Fire. It has Avi (formerly of Pentatonix) singing with them. Some of their older videos are in the pop/top 40 as well. They actually can cover almost anything but have started doing more of their own music since several members are also song writers.

17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I do follow them too but not quite as much

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I think the first LP I bought was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. I rarely bought LPs, mostly I bought 45s.

AM Radio and vinyl (LPs/45s) when I could afford them. Over the years I've owned them all ... vinyl, 8-track tapes, cassettes, CDs and mp3s ... I have a HUGE iTunes lilbrary.

Late 60s/early 70s ... I graduated from high school in 1971

4. Favorite genre?
    I still love the 60s/70s, but mostly I listen to country music, with some current pop songs tossed in (Pink, Ed Sheeran) and some oldies from the 40s/50s. I've always been more of a "song" person, than an "artist" person.

Yes! I have all of my vinyl records, plus I have a couple of mix tapes tucked away. I mostly replaced my cassettes with CD's, then donated the cassettes. Any 8-tracks I had are long gone, I hated that format (you couldn't reverse the tape) but my XDH bought an 8-track for our car, so we had some.

IntenseMagic and HavaDrPepper like this.
  19. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

My very first album was Abby Roads/The Beatles. I was 10 years old when I bought it and it was the best day of my life! LOL! That was in 1969 so, of course it was a vinyl!
    I can first remember sitting in the dining room listening to the music that was playing on my mothers old radio. Hank Williams and Little Jimmy Dickens were some of the artist that I heard but as my brother got older, he became the drummer in a rock band(late 60's early 70's) so the music that I remember most is from the 60's. Herman Hermits, The Beatles, The Rascals, Bobby Sherman, Three Dog Night and we shall never forget the Beach Boys!
    Based on what I just said, my teenage years were in the 70's so those are the songs that I usually go back too. I love me some Carpenters music!
    4. Favorite genre?
    Soft Rock, early Rock and Roll

Of course! I would be hard pressed to be separated from my albums, 45's, Cassettes and 8Tracks! haha I can't listen to my 8 tracks anymore but I still have them(15+). I have a large box of albums in the closet along with a plastic container of old 45's. I also have a storage container of cassette tapes in the closet. My Grand Daughter pulls them down from time to time to listen to some of them. I prefer to listen to my CD's in the car or when I can on the home stereo in the living room(I have a 12 CD changer there).

20. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

First thing I bought would have been a 45 record with a Danish pop singer. First LP was with a singer called Sebastian. He is a well known Danish composer now, with many musicals and film scores to his name, but back then he was a protest singer of sorts,with a social conscience.

I was a bit brain washed I guess, my mum listened to FM Radio,as soon as she was in the door-,the radio went on. So music Radio was what I listened to. And records, Buddy Holly, Elvis and the Beatles,in one lovely mix.

Favourite music genre , Rock, hard Rock, Motown ,ballads , classical music. Even like a bit of Metal.
    I still have a few Records both LP and 45. And a big drawer of CDs that I will listen to if I need cheering up. But we have a classical radio station here, and like my mum,I like the radio.

IntenseMagic likes this.