Nov 2020 Book Club - The Guest List

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Time for another batch of books to read together! Yippee!!! I did add an extra month because we had a tie for the last book and I didn't want to pick just one! :giggle

You will soon see FIVE new threads (we had a tie) in this forum for the next few months (July - November 2020). This will allow everyone to start getting these books on hold at your libraries.

The book for November is The Guest List by Lucy Foley. Feel free to read them in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have just finished The Hunting Party and loved it - can't wait to get to this!

Karen likes this.
  3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

This came up for borrowing much sooner than I expected. >> A very creepy, atmospheric thriller, with an interesting twist at the end of the story. I enjoyed how the story was developed on two different days, from multiple points of view.<<

Karen likes this.
  4. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I really enjoyed this one! >>I loved the slow build to the end. I loved the atmosphere. I actually loved the multiple points of view even though I am a little tired of that style. I felt like it really worked well here. I listened to this one on audio, and it was really well done. A great mystery/thriller.<<

Karen likes this.
  5. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I finished this one the other day...SO SO good! I also read The Hunting Party by the same Author and liked it, but liked The Guest List the most.

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

I finally get to start this one! I'm looking forward to jumping in. :agree

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I looked it up on my library website and it has long lines of people requesting all versions. I think I'm going to skip this one.

Karen likes this.
  8. plumdumpling

I just listened to The Hunting Party too. I really liked that one too! Very similar. I love how I change my mind about whodunit after every single chapter, ha!

FarrahJobling likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well I'm down to #188 which is better than the 350+ when I put it on hold! It may very well BE a November read!

plumdumpling and Karen like this.
  10. Karen

Wow! That would take me years to get through if my library's waiting list got that long. They don't have many copies of any one book ever!

11. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’ve been waiting for 6 months to get this from Libby. Tired of waiting, so I’ll be buying this one to read in November. Can’t wait!

Karen likes this.
  12. Karen

Wow! I just finished this and holy cow was it creepy!!! >>>The whole thing was a slow build up to a terrifying end of the wedding with the storm and the power going out. This would make a fabulous movie! I could visualize everything happening and building up to disaster. I just KNEW that none of the people people we were meant to think were the actual killer would end up being the killer. (Hannah for her sister Alice, Olivia for "Steve"/Will ghosting her and not caring about her being pregnant and getting an abortion, Jules for finding out about Will and Olivia or Johhno for finding out that Will screwed him out of the TV show which was his idea). Will was a really awful person and nothing made me happier than him paying the price of tying that poor kid up to the railing and letting him slowly drown while the tide came in. I did not see that coming with Aoife and Freddy being the friend of and sister of "Loner" the kid who died. I too am really tired of the back and forth and switching perspectives style of writing, but this is the first book in a while that it actually seemed to work in the end. <<< This was definitely a good read for October and Halloween time when I'm feeling more like a good scary story. I will say that nothing could get me to visit that island or go outside in the dark there! Lol!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Donitab and plumdumpling like this.
  13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I really enjoyed this book.>>>I loved how everyone seems to be connected in one way or another to each other and things that happened previously and even recently. Will got what was coming to him.<<<

Karen likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I got so fed it with these people that I almost gave up on the book. << I truly am sick of this style of writing , back and forth and short short segments. As I got deeper and deeper into the story, it seemed rather improbable that everyone was so intertwined and I really didn't care about them. If Will and his ushers were all washed out to sea I would have been content. Harsh but... Actually they were all a sorry lot with so many secrets. As fed up as I was, I found they were sad hollow people who needed something that money and privilege can't buy, nor drink cure. >> I seem to have had a run of books with unpleasant people!

janedee likes this.
  15. Karen

Lol! This made me chuckle. I agree. They were all horrible people!

janedee likes this.
  16. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I agree totally creepy and really unpleasant people, but loved it nonetheless.

Karen and janedee like this.
  17. plumdumpling

They were definitely all flawed people! I loved that I just kept guessing as to who was the victim and who was the murderer. Thinking of it that way...maybe I'm glad I didn't really like any of the characters. That way it didn't matter which one ended up dead. That sounds way harsh, eek!

Karen and janedee like this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My digi copy is coming soon. Yay. Just checked my library status this morning.

Karen likes this.
  19. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Ha....YES....this is so so true

Karen likes this.